Which Alaskan cruise? Help!

patches05

DH and I are looking into an Alaskan cruise for this August.

Option #1 - Inside Passage w/ Glacier Bay on the Golden

Option #2 - Voyage of the Glaciers NB on the Island

Flights for us are about the same price. We are not able to spend extra time beyond the cruise itself because of vacation time.

Option #1 pros

- Golden seems to have more to do (our honeymoon was on the Golden in 2005 to Europe)

- 1 non-stop, shorter flight

cons

- missing out on College Fjord

Option #2 pros

- We've wanted to try a smaller ship & I've heard good things about the Island

- College Fjord

cons

- longer, more complex flights

What do you guys think? I want to get something booked soon! Thanks for your help.

My vote? Island Glaciers. The Island isn't really "smaller" than the Golden, it just feels less crowded. (I speak from experience on Golden and sister ship Coral.)

Edited by shredie

We went on an Alaskan cruise last Aug. on the Caribbean Princess. Favorite day of the cruise was the day we went to Glacier Bay! So my advice is whichever one goes to Glacier Bay! However, everyday in Alaska was pretty amazing! Can't tell you anything about Golden or Island but we will be on the Island in Oct and looking forward to it!

We went on an Alaskan cruise last Aug. on the Caribbean Princess. Favorite day of the cruise was the day we went to Glacier Bay! So my advice is whichever one goes to Glacier Bay! However, everyday in Alaska was pretty amazing! Can't tell you anything about Golden or Island but we will be on the Island in Oct and looking forward to it!

The Caribbean Princess has never cruised in Alaska . It was in Europe last and the Caribbean this year.

The Inside Passage on the Golden does do scenic cruising through Glacier Bay, so does the Island.

The only differences, that I can see, are:

Island starts in Vancouver, end in Anchorage & goes through College Fjord, scenic cruising.

Golden is r/t Seattle, with a quick stop in Victoria & no College Fjord.

These are our only 2 options, due to work schedules.

Edited by patches05

Thank you for all of your responses! I really do appreciate them. Can anyone tell me why you'd pick the Island over the Golden? Essentially, they are the same itinerary; just one small difference in each cruise. I'm just trying to determine which might be best; I may be over-stressing. :)

Island Princess actually sails between Vancouver Island and the mainland where as I am pretty certain that Golden Princess goes out around Vancouver island. While it isn't possible to completely take advantage of the considerably better scenery to/from Vancouver rather than Seattle since much of that timeframe is over night, there are still many opportunities.

My choice would be B2B north and south bound from/to Vancouver making a longer holiday, seeing three glacier areas over four separate days and keeping your flight a round trip but you have indicated that you only have one week to work with.

Pacific Princess does 7 day round trips out of Vancouver for a much different ship experience but it is Tuesday departures rather than weekends.

Terry

#1 - get an itinerary with as many opportunities for glaciers. Glacier Bay is the premium glacier viewing.

#2 - Go in and out of Vancouver if you can swing it. The scenery is better and ride is better. it can be a rough ride going out of Seattle and out to open sea on the west side of Vancouver Island.

That said, it's not always easy to go out of Vancouver. We've driven it up from Seattle and parked at the pier twice. And I'd do it again. But coming from Michigan you are probably flying and flying into and out of Vancouver can be more expensive and worse connections. Look at that too.

The ships are too similar to matter, IMO. It's the itinerary that will make or break your vacation.

One other consideration if you select the NB Voyage of the Glaciers. Although you don't have additional days to venture inland and see Denali, etc, you can take advantage of scenic transfers, available from Princess or independent tour companies(see Trip Advisor-Anchorage), when going from Whittier to the Anchorage airport. Since most departures back to the Midwest are late, (after 10:00 PM typically requiring an overnight flight and early morning connection in Chicago, MSP) you have the whole day to explore Turnagain Arm, Prince William Sound cruise, Portage Glacier, Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Resort & Tram, etc. before getting to the airport for your late night return flight. The Golden (round trip Seattle) choice however,does allow you to likely get back home on the day of disembarking.

The Island princess northbound cruise gets more spectacular with each day and goes further north into Alaska. The Golden itinerary has you spending less time in some of the ports because it needs to hurry back to Seattle. I found Whittier just beautiful. We loved the Island's itinerary so much we are doing it again.