Getaway/NCL first timer tips

aec2014

Good morning everyone!

DH and I will be sailing on the Getaway this fall. It will be our 5th cruise, but first on NCL. All others have been on Carnival. I am SUCH a planner so have been researching from pretty much the second we booked this sailing! But, I always feel like I'm going to miss something.

We plan to book our specialty dining when it's available online and will be booking excursions ahead of time too.

What else am I missing? Any tips or suggestions for NCL or Getaway in particular? I have been following all the Getaway threads, just feel like I'm really missing something.

Thanks all! Can't wait for this cruise to get here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like peace and quiet, go to guest services and book Vibe. Also, book shows-the comics were great and I didn't prebook them and they filled up. Illusinarium was also great but book premium seating. When using UDP, eat outside at sunset...breathtaking! ImageUploadedByForums1401274978.606007.jpg.5d9c7a6fe5249ac4f280c4be3ecb21e8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

ImageUploadedByForums1401274955.247353.jpg.9dc1de555a4fde0c380bd2a03b2d9660.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1401274965.890883.jpg.36dd15c43a8d76ba8591bf6bdbf82782.jpg

Hi. You will love this ship. We did. Here are a few things I learned while on the ship over spring break this April.

1. If you have an iPhone download the concierge app to everyone's phone before you leave home. I used this app a lot. It will have each days activities and times. It will allow you to book shows and dinner reservations. It also let us text amount our selfs (7.95$) it's like having the dailies in your pocket.

2. If you get turned around in the hallway on the way to your room. Remember the fishes on the carpet always swim forward.

3. Save some of your on board expense money to try Carlos bakery and get some gelato too. It's usually quiet by these two places. So it's a good spot to sit.

4. If the pool deck is too loud and crazy go to the waterfront deck 8 and you'll find couches and chairs that are usually empty.

5. We enjoyed the movies in the atrium most days. They hand out popcorn and strawberry milk shakes while you watch the movie.

6. Don't forget to pack OTC meds. I needed an Advil one day and it was expensive.

7. Watch for spa specials. DH and I both got head to toe hot stone message with facials on special. My macho Latino husband even went back to the spa later with out me for a special shave beard trim.

We ate at most of the specialty restaurants. All were good. If you have never had snails , it's a good time to try them at le Bistro. Also le Bistro has the best coffee on the ship! Be sure you dress for dinner at le Bistro. I had on Capri pants and they made me change.

Enjoy your trip!

If you like peace and quiet, go to guest services and book Vibe. Also, book shows-the comics were great and I didn't prebook them and they filled up. Illusinarium was also great but book premium seating. When using UDP, eat outside at sunset...breathtaking! [ATTACH]314345[/ATTACH][ATTACH]314346[/ATTACH][ATTACH]314347[/ATTACH]

If I take a taxi from Embassy Suites where should I ask to be be dropped off to get first boarding for Vibe passes? I know suites and Haven have priority but I would like to be next.

Take the time to slowly walk Decks 6, 7 and 8. Off the lobby area on Deck is the Library- very hidden and quiet. There is artwork on the walls on Decks 7 and 8.

She is a beautiful ship with a fantastic staff. I leave in two weeks to go aboard for the second time.

Have a great cruise.

Mandy

If I take a taxi from Embassy Suites where should I ask to be be dropped off to get first boarding for Vibe passes? I know suites and Haven have priority but I would like to be next.

There are actually two separate facilities (one for the front gangeway and one for the rear. Yours will be printed on your boarding documents, have the taxi drop you there.

"We plan to book our specialty dining when it's available online and will be booking excursions ahead of time too."

Do keep in mind if you have On Board Credits (OBC), anything you pre-book (dining, tours, etc) needs to be paid for in advance (so your OBC won't "pay" for anything you pre-book). Your mileage may vary, but we only pre-booked Ocean Blue and Illusionarium, and probably didn't need to.

One of the shows on board is Burn the Floor and it is very good. The show in the theatre is mainly Latin dancing. The dancers also do a show that is much shorter in the Tropicana Dining room. Those dances are jive and swing. But beware, the seats fill up very fast so make a reservation or get there early if you want to have a seat where you can actually see the dancers.

Briji04 had a few tips I forgot. Your ticket will say where you board. Then go to guest services for a Vibe pass. The cabanas sold out immediately at $299 for the week! Vibe was never crowded. There are 2 hot tubs, double beds, padded chairs with umbrellas and a private bar. A waiter passes out fruit kabobs and flavored sparkling water. It's kinda hard to find, but I used it before and after disembarking for islands....I actually used it more than I thought. Will definitely buy a Vibe pass for my Feb break cruise!

Hi. We just got back from our Getaway vacation (May 17-24). Here are the top 5 things we never leave home without when going on a cruise:

1) Over-the-door Shoe Organizer - I love how it keeps clutter to a minimum and frees up counter space.

shoe.jpg

2) Gift Card/Old Hotel Room Key - We always have a spare for hotels that have the card power saver switch (like they have on the Getaway). It is nice to keep the card in the slot so phones/ipads/computers can still charge, even when you are not in the room. I have read some comments on here that say you need to talk to your room stewart but we did not, and we didn't have any problems.

card.jpg

3) Folder - I like bringing a folder (I just use a manilla folder but you could get a fancier one) so that I can store all the fun, printed goodies you get on the ship. You can keep all your freestyle guides, maps, and any other souvenirs in there for safe keeping.

folder.jpg

4) Downy Wrinkle Release - you cannot bring an iron on board (and frankly it's vacation, who wants to iron) but unfortunately your clothes may need a little wrinkle help. Downy wrinkle release is magic in a little bottle. Spritz a little onto your clothes the night before and presto, no more wrinkles (and it makes your clothes smell nice too)

downy.jpg

5) Small Air Freshener - no, no...the rooms do not smell. I bring an air freshener to serve as a "smell reminder" when we leave the ship. That way every time we smell that smell, we are reminded of the awesome vacation we had. It is so wonderful to hit that smell at home and be instantly back in vacation land.

air-fresh.jpg

You can also check out our vacation video review of the Getaway here:

Have a Great Trip!!! :D

Edited by Stef_w_an_F

What do you mean by "dress for dinner"?

Do you need more than "country club casual"?

What were you wearing with the capris? They won't let you in with capris and a dressy blouse?

No formal nights I heard . Is that true?

Men wear long pants for dinner at night?????....except in buffet????

What do you mean by "dress for dinner"?

Do you need more than "country club casual"?

What were you wearing with the capris? They won't let you in with capris and a dressy blouse?

No formal nights I heard . Is that true?

Men wear long pants for dinner at night?????....except in buffet????

I have never been turned away in capris. Men need long pants in Le Bistro and Tropicana.