P&O transfer from Nice to Genoa

Cloudyrain

Hello!

We have just found out that we will be flying into Nice on BA for our Genoa departure on the Ventura in June (scheduled rather than charter flight).

I have to say we are a little disappointed because we don't like coach/bus travel (my health and my husband struggles because of a dodgy leg) and it looks like it's going to take a few hours - that we had hoped to spend in port rather than on the motorway!

Anyway, my questions are to those who have done this transfer in the past: do you wait around long at the airport before travelling, e.g. Waiting for other flights to come in before the bus can leave? How long does the journey take? Is the coach comfy? Does it have a rest stop half way through?

I'm really worried about this, I know it's silly but Im dreading having to wait around for ages at the airport and then being stuck on a bus with no toilet for 3 hours! :eek:

Thanks in advance!

Which cruise are you doing? We are also flying BA scheduled to Genoa in June but have not been told this. Was it On your cruise personaliser or email perhaps ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It was on an email from P&O I think (or maybe our TA). We go on the Ventura on the 25th June from Heathrow: should have been Gatwick but they changed that too, although that was a change I was happy to make! :D

We are also flying out on the 25th and at the moment, from Gatwick. Keeping our fingers crossed that they don't change ours as well. Also we got our cabin allocation today, booked on a saver fare, we have landed A deck midships balcony

I experienced the same with an MSC cruise. It is quite a drive from Nice to Genoa. However, there's only the one direct BA flight a day to Genoa so once that's full, they have to use Nice, Milan, etc and bus you to Genoa.

Shame they don't make it clear when booking!

I experienced the same with an MSC cruise. It is quite a drive from Nice to Genoa. However, there's only the one direct BA flight a day to Genoa so once that's full, they have to use Nice, Milan, etc and bus you to Genoa.

P&O are using a lot of charter flights to and from Genoa.

P&O are using a lot of charter flights to and from Genoa.

It is better to get a charter if you can because that way you check in your suitcases in the UK and the next time you see them is outside your cabin. Works the other way too :) On scheduled flights you are sharing the plane with others so have to go through the baggage collection rigmarole.

Exactly, that's why it's a double edged sword! The charter fly-cruise appealed partly because we could dump our bags at check in and not worry about them again, and then just pop on a 20min bus ride to port. Sadly now we have a BA scheduled flight so it means we have to sort luggage out AND have a 3hr bus ride to port; more than doubling the travelling time and the hassle! I just have visions of being sat for an hour at Nice waiting for other schedule flights to fill up the bus!

• 2 weeks later...

one and only advantage with BA is you will have free food and drink on the plane, plus more leg room.

Nice airport is more comfortable than Genoa but last time there you could not check in your luggage until 2 hours before flight.

if you are on a 7 day cruise be warned that the duty free shop will not be open and vat is added to purchases in the onboard shops. this changes after Venice.

j

• 3 weeks later...

Just to complete the circle, and if anyone else does a forum search about this particular issue: transfer was fine!

We had to wait for a little over half an hour in Nice airport upon arrival for other flights to arrive. This was ok and there was plenty of seats to begin with (we all had our own luggage as they were all scheduled flights). There is a little area near the waiting area with drink and snack machines but it only takes the correct change so make sure you have coins (a little further the opposite way is a change machine). The coaches were comfortable and we probably queued for about 20 minutes outside to get on a coach - despite being on the first flight to arrive we ended up on the last coach as we do not seem to have the marauding gene that seems to infect some other cruisers: especially the very elderly frail looking lady who barrelled my 15st 6ft4 husband out of the way into the path of a bus and then looked at him in disgust :D :eek: :rolleyes:

The journey was really nice and being on the last bus we had loads of space to spread out. It wasn't luxury coach travel, but was perfectly fine. We arrived at Genoa port in about 2 and a half to 3 hours and were able to check in very efficiently.

It was a long day - had to leave the hotel at 4.30am to catch our flight, and were on board by about 3.30pm (2.30pm BST) - but wasn't too bad and wouldn't put me off going again! :D