Helpful Hints for Westerdam in Alasaka ?

curtdesilets

We are sailing Westerdam in a couple months.

Are there any suggestions for things I should know?

I do know about the Mariners Embarkation Lunch.

I do know that the Thermal Suite is AWESOME.

I do know that there is Pea Soup at Glacier time.

When are the formal nights?

What else?

took the first sailing on 5/3.

I say run, don't walk, to another cruise line. We upgraded to a Signature Suite and it was borderline dirty the entire cruise. Urine smell in the bathroom, shoddy bedmaking skills by the staff....uggh.

Food was just marginal.....and I'm truly not that picky a person. Would it have killed their budget to have some good Alaskan seafood? I think not.

For what we were charged, I think the room should have been nicer...maybe it's just me....but I know the cleanliness issue isn't in my head..

Remember that there is a happy hour at 4 - 5 pm in both the Crows Nest and Ocean Bar. Oh and there are hot/cold appetizers served in the bars at night. Best views are in the Crows Nest.

Formal nights will be Sunday and I think either Wednesday or Thursday.

First: I do believe the 5/3 sailing was plagued with problems, perhaps since it was the first Alaska sailing this year and the staff was relatively inexperienced. It sounds like from later sailings, the reviews were getting better. We had a similar experience on the run of Pacific Coastals on the Celebrity Century this past spring...the first one they did was a disaster, but it got better with experience.

Thanks for the happy hour tip. On Celebrity we have a free cocktail hour due to our elite status, but we're still relatively new to Holland so any bar discounts will be a plus.

Thanks also for the Formal Night info.

Edited by curtdesilets

First: I do believe the 5/3 sailing was plagued with problems, perhaps since it was the first Alaska sailing this year and the staff was relatively inexperienced. It sounds like from later sailings, the reviews were getting better. We had a similar experience on the run of Pacific Coastals on the Celebrity Century this past spring...the first one they did was a disaster, but it got better with experience.

We were on Volendam's first cruise of the AK season this year and also noticed a few minor startup "issues", but after a couple of days things ran alot smoother.

DaveOKC

The panama cruise (Apr 15/14) has many issues as well. I got totally beaten up for mentioning them. It stands to reason that as the group gels things will get better. They have to.

Using my little Sony Cyber-shot camera, I really enjoy trying to catch "the money shot" and Alaska is brimming with opportunities.

Be on the lookout - we saw a pod of Killer Whales jumping and breaching in the inner passage south of Ketchican. We were in the Crows Nest having a before dinner drink when we spotted them. Thankfully, I had my camera with me and got a couple of great pictures.

When in Glacier Bay - listen for a sound like a gun-shot. When you hear it - quickly have your camera ready ... you should catch the calving.

If you have a decent digital camera don't hold back on shooting far away objects or wildlife. Afterwards when you download to a computer, you can crop the shots a couple of times centering the subject you want. I got some fabulous bear and eagle shots that way.:)

Don't be surprised if you don't see any animals. Our first cruise to Alaska, we saw eagles and dead spawning salmon. The sun only shone on our last day back to Seattle. Mostly foggy or raining. Second time, we saw wolves and moose at Denali, not the mountain and it snowed! Heading south, again rain and no animals anywhere. We did get sun for Glacier Bay and it was wonderful!\

Still gave both cruises a good rating. Don't know if we will try again. Maybe Iceland and Greenland instead.

Don't be surprised if you don't see any animals. Our first cruise to Alaska, we saw eagles and dead spawning salmon. The sun only shone on our last day back to Seattle. Mostly foggy or raining. Second time, we saw wolves and moose at Denali, not the mountain and it snowed! Heading south, again rain and no animals anywhere. We did get sun for Glacier Bay and it was wonderful!\

Still gave both cruises a good rating. Don't know if we will try again. Maybe Iceland and Greenland instead.

Geese ..... I almost feel guilty for the great weather we had on the land portion of our cruise-tour in Alaska. :o

We saw "the mountain" and all of the "big 5" animals at Denali. The year we went, we met the tour in Anchorage on July 4th - perhaps that made the difference:cool: