Too early to book Alaska for 2015?

kirstie101

Hi everyone!

Its been a while since DH and I have cruised. We found these boards super helpful for our first Alaskan cruise so I started lurking again recently. We are hoping to return to Alaska in 2015 for our 10th anniversary.

I wasn't planning on booking yet but our TA informed us that through the end of the month Royal Caribbean has a special on their Jewel of the Seas sailing from Seattle (we plan on leaving from Seattle as its closest to us). The special is that the second fair is half off. She swears this is a great sale and we should put our deposit down now. To me it just seems a bit early to be booking. Wont rates go down or at least stay about the same? To give you an idea, we're going in June and the rates for this cruise once you figure in this special rate start at $674 inside/$824 ocean view/$1226 balcony per person.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give. The one time we cruised Alaska we only booked about 5 months in advance, basically as soon as we started planning it. So I never really watched the fares to see what they did.

TIA!

Kirsten

Hi everyone!

Its been a while since DH and I have cruised. We found these boards super helpful for our first Alaskan cruise so I started lurking again recently. We are hoping to return to Alaska in 2015 for our 10th anniversary.

I wasn't planning on booking yet but our TA informed us that through the end of the month Royal Caribbean has a special on their Jewel of the Seas sailing from Seattle (we plan on leaving from Seattle as its closest to us). The special is that the second fair is half off. She swears this is a great sale and we should put our deposit down now. To me it just seems a bit early to be booking. Wont rates go down or at least stay about the same? To give you an idea, we're going in June and the rates for this cruise once you figure in this special rate start at $674 inside/$824 ocean view/$1226 balcony per person.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give. The one time we cruised Alaska we only booked about 5 months in advance, basically as soon as we started planning it. So I never really watched the fares to see what they did.

TIA!

Kirsten

I feel it is never to early to book. If the rates are up then I book. WE already booked our Alaska cruise for July 2015. We did that back in March. Now we just still back and wait and wait and wait LOL. WE are booked with Princess and the good thing if the price drops we get the new price. We have already had a small rate decrease. I like to book early to get the cabin I want as well.

Good luck in deciding. Alaska is so much fun - this will be our second time.

It's never too early. Sometimes rates go down but sometimes they go up. The handful of cabins on our Solstice cruise to Hawaii in September are sky-high in price now. If prices do go down, your TA can have the lower fare applied right up to final payment date - but check to see if he/she charges to do that - some do, as it's extra work that lowers their commission.

We already booked our Sept 2015 Alaska cruise on the Radiance. For one thing, I'm picky about what cabin I want. We did take advantage of the buy one get one half off....but to me, it seems like this sale just brings the price down where it ought to be. Anyway, we are locked in on that price. I'm going to keep watch in case it goes down. RCCL will do a price adjustment up until final payment....and as another said, be sure that your agent won't charge you to do the adjustment. We booked ours ourselves.

Now we wait. Plenty of time to consider tours and pre-hotel stay....that keeps my mind busy for awhile. Ha!

We already booked our Sept 2015 Alaska cruise on the Radiance. For one thing, I'm picky about what cabin I want. We did take advantage of the buy one get one half off....but to me, it seems like this sale just brings the price down where it ought to be. Anyway, we are locked in on that price. I'm going to keep watch in case it goes down. RCCL will do a price adjustment up until final payment....and as another said, be sure that your agent won't charge you to do the adjustment. We booked ours ourselves.

Now we wait. Plenty of time to consider tours and pre-hotel stay....that keeps my mind busy for awhile. Ha!

I am with you. My mind has already started with the pre-hotel stay, the excurstions, etc. I find myself looking at that stuff every free minute I get.

We have booked out last 3 Alaska cruises right when the schedule comes out usually during March..never has been too early to have gotten the cabin/location & price..our timeframe in May hasn't seen prices decrease.

Thank you for the feedback everyone! Unfortunately we just had a death in the family so my cruise planning is on hold for a few weeks which means we'll miss the sale deadline. Im sure we'll find a good fare then. Or I hope so at least.

You can always cancel and get your deposit back unless it is a Carnival Early Saver. There are many sales during the year. RCL has a 3 day one on June 2. I would book and just keep watching your prices. They will lover your fare it it goes down and you call.

What happens with Carnival early saver? You lose your deposit?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, with early saver you either completely lose your deposit or you can transfer it to another cruise with a $50 per person change fee.

Yes, with early saver you either completely lose your deposit or you can transfer it to another cruise with a $50 per person change fee.

Thanks for the advice! I booked Carnival in May 2015 In what people say is a great itinerary.... But now I'm wondering...

Decided to downgrade my early saver. My PVP will not be happy, but now I can wait and see if any upgrades are offered, or I can hope for price drops. With the costly excursions we decided to save on the cabin price.