What is like to be a plebian passenger in the shadow of the Yacht Club?

pseudochicken

I was curious what the experience of a common passenger is like and how the Yacht Club affects the non-Yacht Club guests. Is the section of the ship exclusive to Yacht Club guests a noticeable fraction of the ship? Are the services devoted the YC guests at the expense of the enjoyment of the common guests?

I was interested in booking a cruise on the MSC Divina, however the whole notion of the YC (1st class) makes me a bit leery. I was wondering if any of you kind folks have experienced this either way and if you could chime in. Much appreciated!

Haven't sailed on the Divina but was one of the many plebs on her sister the Fantasia. The YC did not detract from our experience, it is such a small area in relation to the overall size of the ship. To be honest we never got around to being in every lounge/bar and open deck area in our week long cruise although we did go to a different part of the ship each night. There really is plenty to do outwith the YC.

I was curious what the experience of a common passenger is like and how the Yacht Club affects the non-Yacht Club guests. Is the section of the ship exclusive to Yacht Club guests a noticeable fraction of the ship? Are the services devoted the YC guests at the expense of the enjoyment of the common guests?

I was interested in booking a cruise on the MSC Divina, however the whole notion of the YC (1st class) makes me a bit leery. I was wondering if any of you kind folks have experienced this either way and if you could chime in. Much appreciated!

Pseudo,,The Yacht Club consists of 3 forward decks. Deck 15, 16 and 18. Looking at the ships deck plan:http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Images/MSC-12-050C_DIVINA-FACT-SHEET_CONSUMER_tcm12-73208.pdf

Please don't be put off by "The Yacht Club", we are a 9-5 couple who choose to stay there only for the all inclusiveness of it, and a quiet place to go when we want to get some sun or just have a drink at the bar.

The vast majority of reviews are not YC passengers. The vast majority of passengers are not YC. While the reviews give a score of over 60% like the ship, many of the recent non YC reviews have been quite positive.

That said 99% of YC reviews are overall very positive.

NCl has the haven and I have never heard anyone suggest it detracts from the regular passengers. Seems unlikely MSC is tremendously different in its ship within a ship concept.

On our recent cruise on Divina I never would have known the YC existed if I hadn't read these forums. I noticed a separate tent curbside at the entrance of POM, but it seemed similiar to the 'elite' or diamond entrances for other cruiselines.

On our recent cruise on Divina I never would have known the YC existed if I hadn't read these forums.

Exactly! The ship is so huge,and there are so many places where to go (BTW-I had not been in all lounges and bars during my 7-day cruise),that if you do not know about YC,you'll never notice it. You can trust me-I had been critical of MSC in the past but the Divina changed my opinion.

Edited by cruisingcanadian

We are staying in YC, traveling 4th Oct and 11th Oct, and there will 9 of us.

We had originally booked normal suites towards the rear of the ship, but we were given the chance to upgrade at a very good price, even with cancelling, repaying new deposits, we were till paid the same.

So with all inclusive it was a chance not to be missed.:)

This is my first time cruising, so I am really looking forward to it, and as say, "if Im going to try out cruising, might as well do it in style"

It may well be the case its not for me, and I will go back to my Florida holidays, Mickey Mouse,shopping and beaches. LOL :)

We are staying in YC, traveling 4th Oct and 11th Oct, and there will 9 of us.

We had originally booked normal suites towards the rear of the ship, but we were given the chance to upgrade at a very good price, even with cancelling, repaying new deposits, we were till paid the same.

So with all inclusive it was a chance not to be missed.:)

This is my first time cruising, so I am really looking forward to it, and as say, "if Im going to try out cruising, might as well do it in style"

It may well be the case its not for me, and I will go back to my Florida holidays, Mickey Mouse,shopping and beaches. LOL :)

Your first cruise and its a B2B in the yacht club, what a way to start. Youll be spoiled rotten, ENJOY IT!!!

I was curious what the experience of a common passenger is like and how the Yacht Club affects the non-Yacht Club guests. Is the section of the ship exclusive to Yacht Club guests a noticeable fraction of the ship? Yes.

Are the services devoted the YC guests at the expense of the enjoyment of the common guests? Yes.

YC takes up premium part of public space (forward observation lounge and sun deck) that can be enjoyed by all passengers for free on Cunard, HAL, Celebrity, etc.

The level of "exclusivity" depends on your cruising experience and requirements.

Some "exclusive" things in YC on the Divina are standard on other ships (observation lounge, serene sun deck, afternoon tea), some are available for extra charge (specialty dining), some ships offer amenities that are not available on the Divina at all (observation deck, proper spa, proper promenade deck).

We sailed on a different ship before the Divina, and that was let's say "Yacht Club Plus" experience for a fraction of the cost of the YC.:)

In comparison with the rest of the ship (MSC Divina) - yes, YC is exclusive.

But you won't feel like a plebian passenger because YC "exclusivity" should be taken with a smile.

That's what we did. :)

We liked it. It was OK to give it a try.

But we did not experience anything "we didn't have before".

It's a nice place but value for money...

More below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42870644&postcount=91

Edited by cruisetrail

There are other far more positive reviews of the YC. Compare multiple reviews and you will have a good view of the YC and will see how much weight to give the YC.

The vast vast majority of views are super positive with most passengers very happy with their choices.

There are other far more positive reviews of the YC. Compare multiple reviews and you will have a good view of the YC and will see how much weight to give the YC.

The vast vast majority of views are super positive with most passengers very happy with their choices.

Right. Well since I will not be booking YC, I am more interested in what the "commoner" experiences.

Here are some recent review threads that give experience of the cruise from the perspective on non-Yacht Club members.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038971

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039057

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048339

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2043622 (covers the Splendida which is also Fantasia class so very similar to the Divina - it has some fabulous photos of the different venues and is a great read)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2044809

A common theme with all these reviews is that they are completely oblivious to the presence of the Yacht Club. It hasn't had any impact on their enjoyment of the facilities and the cruise.

Here are some recent review threads that give experience of the cruise from the perspective on non-Yacht Club members.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038971

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039057

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048339

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2043622 (covers the Splendida which is also Fantasia class so very similar to the Divina - it has some fabulous photos of the different venues and is a great read)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2044809

A common theme with all these reviews is that they are completely oblivious to the presence of the Yacht Club. It hasn't had any impact on their enjoyment of the facilities and the cruise.

Excellent. Thank you for these links.

YC takes up premium part of public space (forward observation lounge and sun deck) that can be enjoyed by all passengers for free on Cunard, HAL, Celebrity, etc.

The level of "exclusivity" depends on your cruising experience and requirements.

Some "exclusive" things in YC on the Divina are standard on other ships (observation lounge, serene sun deck, afternoon tea), some are available for extra charge (specialty dining), some ships offer amenities that are not available on the Divina at all (observation deck, proper spa, proper promenade deck).

We sailed on a different ship before the Divina, and that was let's say "Yacht Club Plus" experience for a fraction of the cost of the YC.:)

In comparison with the rest of the ship (MSC Divina) - yes, YC is exclusive.

But you won't feel like a plebian passenger because YC "exclusivity" should be taken with a smile.

That's what we did. :)

We liked it. It was OK to give it a try.

But we did not experience anything "we didn't have before".

It's a nice place but value for money...

More below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42870644&postcount=91

can you tell us which line has YC+ for a good price? I entensively researched the cruise I am on and HAL was more expensive,celebrity, and rccl also more expensive plus the prices were for a standard balcony

love to know what cruiseline has this service for less. also according to your post you were a day guest, which is not the same as staying in the YC for 24/7

can you tell us which line has YC+ for a good price? I entensively researched the cruise I am on and HAL was more expensive,celebrity, and rccl also more expensive plus the prices were for a standard balcony

The Yacht Club Plus ship we sailed before the Divina - the Nieuw Amsterdam.

also according to your post you were a day guest, which is not the same as staying in the YC for 24/7

I never posted that.

You have been mislead by someone else.

Edited by cruisetrail

The Yacht Club Plus ship we sailed before the Divina - the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I never posted that.

You have been mislead by someone else.

He may be confused by your previous review where there is some confusion about which cabin and level of service you had.

The nieuw amsterdam had butlers? It had free drinks included without buying a package?, was the mini bar free? Did it have a private dining room for suites? How does the Westerdam compare? what was the cost for a 7 day cruise on HAl compared to the cost of divina yc when you sailed? What perks did suites get?

Edited by legion3

Right. Well since I will not be booking YC, I am more interested in what the "commoner" experiences.

Most people probably never know or care but to know how you would feel,

Did it ever bother you that some other passengers had suites and some added perks that you did not have on a previous cruise?

I know Cruisetrail's opinions are not always popular on this board, but I have to agree here. The YC takes away forward looking deck space. Comparing the Fantasia and Splendida, which both have a YC, with the Orchestra, which doesn't, the Orchestra feels much more open. It's great to be able to completely walk around on the top deck, to feel the wind and to see where the ship is going.

Will the new ship have the yc? If so will it likely be more amidships similar to the haven on the jewell class?

Or the epic or getaway which is mostly forward. It will have to take some space up somewhere.

Or will not have it at all?

The Nieuw Aamsterdam had butlers? It had free drinks included without buying a package?, was the mini bar free? Did it have a private dining room for suites? How does the Westerdam compare? what was the cost for a 7 day cruise on HAl compared to the cost of divina yc when you sailed? What perks did suites get?

You did not get the point. It's a "Yacht Club Plus" ship - for everyone.

Choose a cabin you like, enjoy the "base package" or add "perks" of your choice.

Prices from $500 pp.

MSC YC - from $1,800 pp

We can get 2-3 cruises instead of one in YC.

This how products compare.

If you have more qiestions - please switch to a HAL message board.

Edited by cruisetrail