What is like to be a plebian passenger in the shadow of the Yacht Club?

pseudochicken

The Yacht club in itself is not an issue and like a Suite if people want to pay extra for it all well and good, what is the issue is that the Front of the likes of Divina is not accessible for 95% of passengers which to me is a backward step.

People in Suites on other lines have the same access as everyone else on the ship with a few exceptions, to include NCL Haven with the Yacht club is wrong in my opinion because it is up out of the way allowing the rest of the ships passengers access to the Front of the ship.

The front of the ship does appear to be the biggest hangup for many people.

If the Divina had put a lounge where the workout room is and had at least some deckspace in front if it then perhaps that would end the YC location issue...but they don't.

The forward observation deck, Yacht Club pool deck,,is surrounded by glass wind screens. It's quite difficult to look forward unless you look between the glass panels. We had a better view forward from our balcony.

th?&id=HN.607992413788572265&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

The forward observation deck, Yacht Club pool deck,,is surrounded by glass wind screens. It's quite difficult to look forward unless you look between the glass panels. We had a better view forward from our balcony.

th?&id=HN.607992413788572265&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

This leads to the conclusion that the design is somewhat poor in sea views.

Every ship I have been on has had some sort of windscreen to block the wind but they have always had a generally unprotected area forward where one could stand and look forward. Sometimes you simply went around the wind block or through it.

So even if the ship's forward deck 18 was open to all they would not have the view they think they would have.

None have had the lifeboats hanging off the promenade, they usually hang above it.

Makes me sound like...you know who :(

This leads to the conclusion that the design is somewhat poor in sea views.

Every ship I have been on has had some sort of windscreen to block the wind but they have always had a generally unprotected area forward where one could stand and look forward. Sometimes you simply went around the wind block or through it.

So even if the ship's forward deck 18 was open to all they would not have the view they think they would have.

None have had the lifeboats hanging off the promenade, they usually hang above it.

Makes me sound like...you know who :(

We won't mention his/her name here Legion. You can't see it in that picture, but there is also a railing that sits about 4 feet behind the wind screens, so you have to duck under the railing if you want to get up to the glass. The balcony of both Royal suites in the Yacht Club also have this railing which takes away from using the balcony in it's entirety. I'm guessing they put it there so people don't bump their heads on the structure supporting the glass???

th?&id=HN.608036557459949675&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

I'm considering booking Divina. I'm not really put off by the negative reviews; the positives I have heard about are very intriguing (especially entertainment).

However I find it hard to believe people claim that the YC did not effect their cruise at all. When I look at the deck plans it looks like a LOT of premium space on upper/forward decks is off limits to non-YC guests. I do not particularly care about/want the YC amenities/space/cost/exclusivity but I do like to have access to outdoor upper decks/views. It most certainly contributes to what I've heard is a very busy/dense main pool deck.

For the right price if I can get it to fit my timeframe I'll still probably book, but it is with a clear understanding that the YC DOES remove spaces that would otherwise be open on other cruise lines. I'd approach it with an open mind, but it's a bit ridiculous for anyone to claim that large portions of space not open for all guests has no impact. The remaining 95% are packed into 70% of the space. Simple math. Same with NCL Haven concept to a degree.

Edit: I am well described above, Diamond member on RCI and past guest on Carnival and Celebrity. Looking for something new. I enjoy ships; the ports are nothing new. Would be a nice break from same old same old same old same old RCI formula.

I don't know why it's hard to believe? I have sailed on the NCL Epic which has the Haven up front as well and it did not affect my cruise in the slightest. Maybe it depends on what each person needs to fulfill they cruising needs but to look over the bow of the ship is not one of mine. So for me, no, the YC has no effect whatsoever on my cruising experience.

I don't know why it's hard to believe? I have sailed on the NCL Epic which has the Haven up front as well and it did not affect my cruise in the slightest. Maybe it depends on what each person needs to fulfill they cruising needs but to look over the bow of the ship is not one of mine. So for me, no, the YC has no effect whatsoever on my cruising experience.

Totally agree with you, and we've always felt the pool deck is crowded on sea days on all ships!:)

It isn't like the Divina is sailing in the Alaskan waters where you would definitely want to have access to the open forward decks. Also, I think the Galaxy has great views from a higher vantage.

The sun deck above the Galaxy Disco(Elios deck 18) has great views as well.

The sun deck above the Galaxy Disco(Elios deck 18) has great views as well.

FYI the sun deck above the Galaxy (deck 18) does not have great views.

The views are ruined by the full height fence.

This is one of many MSC Divina design flaws.

I'm considering booking Divina. I'm not really put off by the negative reviews; the positives I have heard about are very intriguing (especially entertainment).

However I find it hard to believe people claim that the YC did not effect their cruise at all. When I look at the deck plans it looks like a LOT of premium space on upper/forward decks is off limits to non-YC guests. I do not particularly care about/want the YC amenities/space/cost/exclusivity but I do like to have access to outdoor upper decks/views. It most certainly contributes to what I've heard is a very busy/dense main pool deck.

For the right price if I can get it to fit my timeframe I'll still probably book, but it is with a clear understanding that the YC DOES remove spaces that would otherwise be open on other cruise lines. I'd approach it with an open mind, but it's a bit ridiculous for anyone to claim that large portions of space not open for all guests has no impact. The remaining 95% are packed into 70% of the space. Simple math. Same with NCL Haven concept to a degree.

Very well said.

FYI the sun deck above the Galaxy (deck 18) does not have great views.

The views are ruined by the full height fence.

This is one of many MSC Divina design flaws.

Let me clarify some things for you:

A Fence:

th?id=HN.608052676478045477&w=233&h=182&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

A Wind Screen:

th?id=HN.608043708584495642&w=264&h=177&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

I'm pretty sure I can see a view through the wind screen

People can see through various things including keyholes.

It does not change the fact that deck 18 has full height fence and no "great views".

This is how cruisers are getting "views" from deck 18 on the Divina:

24_zps23f8f983.jpg

I think they are actually sitting on top of the clamshell!

What we need is someone who has actually been on the Divina and utilized this area who can chime in with their experience and preferably photos. The wind screen, an essential feature, looks like it's opaque so it would be interesting to ow what can be seen through it.

What we need is someone who has actually been on the Divina and utilized this area who can chime in with their experience and preferably photos. The wind screen, an essential feature, looks like it's opaque so it would be interesting to ow what can be seen through it.

Kat,,I've stayed in the Yacht Club where the same glass wind screen surrounds the pool area on deck 18,,the glass is tinted and can be seen through,,

Well then there obviously isn't a problem then!

I can see how cruisetrail would be mistaken on this point. If you are only working from photos then it's an easy mistake to make. That's why it's good to get the perspective of someone who has actually 'been there, done that'!

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

It's unlikely someone who has sailed on the ship, especially someone who has the expressed intent of doing a review, would actually be confused on this point. So one can draw ones own conclusions...

Anyway, I will be on the Divina's sister ship in a month and will be working through a mental checklist: ....bacon...ashtrays in the bathroom...fresh or fake flowers...wind breaks opaque or blocking the view... :D

The wind screen is an essential feature where it's needed.

There is no need to block side views.

Same applies to deck 16 (aft) and YC open deck.

It's unlikely someone who has sailed on the ship, especially someone who has the expressed intent of doing a review, would actually be confused on this point. So one can draw ones own conclusions...

Anyway, I will be on the Divina's sister ship in a month and will be working through a mental checklist: ....bacon...ashtrays in the bathroom...fresh or fake flowers...wind breaks opaque or blocking the view... :D

Ashtrays in the bathroom??? That's a new one. Enjoy the Yacht Club!! We had a fantastic experience there and here's hoping you do as well!!:D

The wind screen is an essential feature where it's needed.

There is no need to block side views.

Same applies to deck 16 (aft) and YC open deck.

Be sure to write in and tell them this for when they design the new ships. Obviously your expertise and experience is much needed and I am sure they will be appropriately grateful.

Ashtrays in the bathroom??? That's a new one. Enjoy the Yacht Club!! We had a fantastic experience there and here's hoping you do as well!!:D

I'm sure we will! It's a 'jubilee' year for us - we are celebrating our 40th birthdays, and our 15th wedding anniversary - so we are sneaking away from the kids for 17 glorious days to do something completely different and wonderful! I'm stoked we decided to upgrade to Yacht Club, after originally booking an aft balcony, and I am sure it will be a fantastic experience!

Be sure to write in and tell them this for when they design the new ships. Obviously your expertise and experience is much needed and I am sure they will be appropriately grateful.

As well as Celebrity,,it seems their "S" class ships have "design flaws":roll eyes:as well.

IT's quite possible to see through the glass on deck 18 , it's just tinted , a bit like the tinted glass used in the backs of cars these days.

I wouldn't recommend taking photos through it , but you can take photos through the gaps between the panels

You can see perfectly well in my photos

P1030234.jpg

P1030304.jpg

Pete

IT's quite possible to see through the glass on deck 18 , it's just tinted , a bit like the tinted glass used in the backs of cars these days.

I wouldn't recommend taking photos through it , but you can take photos through the gaps between the panels

You can see perfectly well in my photos

P1030234.jpg

P1030304.jpg

Pete

Nice pic Skier!! I seem to be able to see through that FENCE.

Well they DO have bottle openers in the bathroom

THe Bottle opener on the wall of the bathroom

P1020692_zpsed991a82.jpg

Pete