What is like to be a plebian passenger in the shadow of the Yacht Club?

pseudochicken

Right. Well since I will not be booking YC, I am more interested in what the "commoner" experiences.

Sorry to have "changed course" from your thread, I was only mentioning my excitement at our forthcoming trip,

Like many other travellers we are a everyday, hard working family, who look forward to our holiday state side or further afield each year, "commoners" if you like.

But we do like to treat ourselves when away, and have a good time, weather its staying in a 5* hotel in Dubia, flying business class or booking YC.

It doesn't make me better than anyone else, and Im hoping to meet lots of lovely people on my cruise, and explore the whole ship.

Anne

I'm with you Anne. We are booked into Yacht a club for our upcoming Med cruise. I'm very excited about it but simply because I'm looking forward to enjoying the extra perks - not because I feel any more special or entitled than other passengers. In my normal daily life I'm a housewife and mother to six busy boys. I'm the one stripping the beds, making the meals, and cleaning up the inevitable spills round the toilet bowl. Now I get to escape my beloved boys for three weeks and I am already paying dearly to do so, so a bit more to enhance this unique experience is not going to break the bank. :D

Sorry to have "changed course" from your thread, I was only mentioning my excitement at our forthcoming trip,

Like many other travellers we are a everyday, hard working family, who look forward to our holiday state side or further afield each year, "commoners" if you like.

But we do like to treat ourselves when away, and have a good time, weather its staying in a 5* hotel in Dubia, flying business class or booking YC.

We are in the same boat.

MSC prices for the Divina that were lower than lowest budget offers did a good job for those who otherwise wouldn't cruise at all. The Divina happened to be a ship of choice for that category of potential cruisers.

Cannot agree more that we sometimes want to treat ourselves with something more special.

But there is a big But.

It's pretty understandable why people choose a cruise from $199.

But why the Yacht Club? Why the Divina? :confused:

There are other options, other ships.

As I said before, we can have at least two cruises on the most comfortable ship in the Caribbean instead of one in faux exclusivity of the YC.:)

We are in the same boat.

MSC prices for the Divina that were lower than lowest budget offers did a good job for those who otherwise wouldn't cruise at all. The Divina happened to be a ship of choice for that category of potential cruisers.

Cannot agree more that we sometimes want to treat ourselves with something more special.

But there is a big But.

As I said before, we can have at least two cruises on the most comfortable ship in the Caribbean instead of one in faux exclusivity of the YC.:)

We choose the YC over all other cruiselines, since we would have been in balcony cabin on any other cruiseline . We saw a HAL ship in Venice it looked like a ghost ship not a single person on their balcony sailing into Venice. I also noted there was only one pool.

This fall we had two balconies booked on the Oasis for the same price (really less since drinks are included on the Divina) we had two YC suites.

I am on the Preziosa now and the service has not disappointed us.

This reminds me of a movie quote: https://nz.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080213085329AATcows

Most people would reject your notion that the yc is simply nothing special. The only thing outside the true luxury lines that can compare is the NCL haven.

This yacht club + for everyone that you put forward such as hal has no basis in fact. It is but your opinion. I can with absolute certainty state that the vast majority will and do reject the idea the yc is not something extra.

Thus if you are wanting a private enclave, this tricky ship within a ship concept you talk about, then real choices are not plentiful, even if you think that to be the case.

People will choose how to sail and spend their hard earned $.

Why the YC? Why not?

The haven is the only other similar product in the carribean. Not Hal, not princess, not ships with suites.

The Yacht Club Plus ship we sailed before the Divina - the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I never posted that.

You have been mislead by someone else.

" The Yacht Club

"Thanks to our friends, we had a good opportunity to experience YC.

More details in the Divina review."

I assumed that friends bought you a day pass, are you saying your friends paid for a full upgrade?

The fact that you use terms such as "common passenger" is being hoity toity. This isn't like 3rd Class steerage as on the Titanic. I usually cruise in Inside or Oceanview cabins yet I am no where near being a "common passenger". I'd simply rather spend my money on more days at sea than having a butler any day of the week.

If you didn't want to be hoity toity, then don't use words like common passenger or plebeian and just simply ask "what would the difference be between the YC and Inside cabins?".

I see what you are saying, however since I am considering myself as "plebian" and "common passenger", I would not describe me being hoity toity. If I were booking YC and referred to non-YC guests as plebian or common passenger, than yes, I would be hoity toity. ;)

I'm with you Anne. We are booked into Yacht a club for our upcoming Med cruise. I'm very excited about it but simply because I'm looking forward to enjoying the extra perks - not because I feel any more special or entitled than other passengers. In my normal daily life I'm a housewife and mother to six busy boys. I'm the one stripping the beds, making the meals, and cleaning up the inevitable spills round the toilet bowl. Now I get to escape my beloved boys for three weeks and I am already paying dearly to do so, so a bit more to enhance this unique experience is not going to break the bank. :D

Thanks Kat is it ?

not long till your trip,but a long journey for you to get there, hope you have a fab time:) let us know how you get on x Anne

I am on the Preziosa now and the service has not disappointed us.

How exciting! Just five more weeks and I'll be on it too! I hope you plan on writing a bit of a report. I'm especially interested in the ports and whether the ship was on time to each port and what disembarking was like in each port.

I see what you are saying, however since I am considering myself as "plebian" and "common passenger", I would not describe me being hoity toity. If I were booking YC and referred to non-YC guests as plebian or common passenger, than yes, I would be hoity toity. ;)

Well, if you wish to consider yourself "Common" or a "plebeian", then by all means, do so. That does not mean the rest of us not travelling in the YC consider ourselves that and I am definitely not 'common".

Maybe its the name. The Yacht Club. Sounds exclusive. The Haven has no such name issues.

There is only two choices in the carribean. MSC Yacht Club and NCL Haven for a unique, exclusive opportunity.

The Haven is $4000 and up more.

Thanks Kat is it ?

not long till your trip,but a long journey for you to get there, hope you have a fab time:) let us know how you get on x Anne

Yes, a very long time! I leave home at 6:40pm on a Thursday night and arrive at our hotel in Venice at 11pm Friday night - nearly 40 hours later! I'm hoping the excitement will cancel out the inevitable jet lag and subsequent grumpiness. :D

Regardless, whether I sail as plebeian or patrician, I can't think of a better way to relax and enjoy a holiday with my husband than to be sailing on one of these beautiful ships!

How exciting! Just five more weeks and I'll be on it too! I hope you plan on writing a bit of a report. I'm especially interested in the ports and whether the ship was on time to each port and what disembarking was like in each port.

I will write a full report. Ship was on time each port, quick and easy on and off.well staffed to get you on and off quickly.

We are in the same boat.

But there is a big But.

On the May 10th cruise I talked to a lot of people ( well, the people who spoke English that is!) and a lot of them were regulars from Celebrity, RCCL, and Princess. Yes, the price had drawn them in, but they were also intrigued by something 'new'. Like us, they were 'trying' things out. Having a look-see.

These weren't people who "otherwise wouldn't cruise at all". These were your Elites, Diamonds, Emeralds ( is that the Princess term?) who pack in multiple cruises a year and normally book with the same company because over the years they have built up perks.

They weren't booked in the YC, they were regular old passengers.

Will they return to MSC in the future? I don't know. My husband and I would jump on MSC again in the fall but we have so many Princess credits built up that have to be used by the end of 2014, so Princess it will be.

You did not get the point. It's a "Yacht Club Plus" ship - for everyone.

Choose a cabin you like, enjoy the "base package" or add "perks" of your choice.

Prices from $500 pp.

MSC YC - from $1,800 pp

We can get 2-3 cruises instead of one in YC.

This how products compare.

If you have more qiestions - please switch to a HAL message board.

I have yet to find a cruise for $500per person with a balcony and bath tub, could you please name this YC + cruise line!

I have yet to find a cruise for $500per person with a balcony and bath tub, could you please name this YC + cruise line!

Best I could find was an inside on certain hal cruises the first week of december. I posted it earlier.

It was removed of course. Not only can we not find fault with any other poster be we cant even post something contridictory. Military censors could not do as well.

Considering canceling my MSC yc cruise .

Best I could find was an inside on certain hal cruises the first week of december. I posted it earlier.

It was removed of course. Not only can we not find fault with any other poster be we cant even post something contridictory. Military censors could not do as well.

Considering canceling my MSC yc cruise .

Looks like your post at #32 is still there. Is this the one you are talking about being removed?

I'm considering booking Divina. I'm not really put off by the negative reviews; the positives I have heard about are very intriguing (especially entertainment).

However I find it hard to believe people claim that the YC did not effect their cruise at all. When I look at the deck plans it looks like a LOT of premium space on upper/forward decks is off limits to non-YC guests. I do not particularly care about/want the YC amenities/space/cost/exclusivity but I do like to have access to outdoor upper decks/views. It most certainly contributes to what I've heard is a very busy/dense main pool deck.

For the right price if I can get it to fit my timeframe I'll still probably book, but it is with a clear understanding that the YC DOES remove spaces that would otherwise be open on other cruise lines. I'd approach it with an open mind, but it's a bit ridiculous for anyone to claim that large portions of space not open for all guests has no impact. The remaining 95% are packed into 70% of the space. Simple math. Same with NCL Haven concept to a degree.

Edit: I am well described above, Diamond member on RCI and past guest on Carnival and Celebrity. Looking for something new. I enjoy ships; the ports are nothing new. Would be a nice break from same old same old same old same old RCI formula.

Edited by LMaxwell

No I understand MSC is not the hall monitor on these boards. We are considering not traveling over Christmas now and looking at late April and unfortunately the Divina will be heading to Europe the week before.

LMaxwell has the right frame of mind, willing to try somethin new and not the same old, thats what we were looking for too.

An knowing the YC is there but accepting it suggest he will not be overly bothered by it.

The OP has never answered the basic question if he can live with the fact that others on the cruise have perks he will not have.

But all ships have passengers who sail in suites, who have certain level lounges, priority boarding, private parties, etc...

The YC and Haven simply take it a step higher. If someone is offended by such things then

It may spoil their cruise.

We will never have a completely classless society as long as there are people willing to pay and have the ability to pay for there not to be.

First class, business class, coach - even southwest airlines allows people to pay for special treatment such as early boarding. Does flying on a plane with seperate classes annoy you? If so then so might a YC concept on a ship.

Edited by legion3

You make some excellent points, Legion3.

Though frankly, I think that it's pointless getting worried about the fact that some people pay to get better amenities. It would be like me getting annoyed at the supermarket because someone else is buying scotch fillet whilst I buy mince. I think the key point is that the different levels of service should not be obtrusive nor significantly curtail someone else's ability to enjoy their cruise.

And from what I have read, there is some concern about 'prime real estate' being used by the YC however many are saying that there are so many areas available on the ship for all that it didn't impact them. I guess it comes down to a decision about how important it is to you personally to cruise on a ship that offers forward facing lounges and front sun decks open to all. If this is a make or break item then maybe it's best finding another ship. Otherwise, it's unlikely that the existence of the YC will have much effect on anyone who hasn't opted to pay the extra to use it.

Edited by Katgoesonholiday