What is like to be a plebian passenger in the shadow of the Yacht Club?

pseudochicken

Will the new ship have the yc? If so will it likely be more amidships similar to the haven on the jewell class?

Or the epic or getaway which is mostly forward. It will have to take some space up somewhere.

Or will not have it at all?

Although there is no official comment, I'm sure the new builds will have YC, it's too big a point of difference for MSC.

Although there is no official comment, I'm sure the new builds will have YC, it's too big a point of difference for MSC.

I noticed that the new 'Aurea experience' is also costing deck space to the lower classes. Here from the MSC Opera on Tuesday.

AureaGuests.jpg

This is the access to the forward 'Sun Deck' (deck 13). I assume it will be the same across all four Lirica class ships.

Edited by Skipper Tim

You did not get the point. It's a "Yacht Club Plus" ship - for everyone.

Choose a cabin you like, enjoy the "base package" or add "perks" of your choice.

Prices from $500 pp.

MSC YC - from $1,800 pp

We can get 2-3 cruises instead of one in YC.

This how products compare.

If you have more qiestions - please switch to a HAL message board.

So everyone on a HAL cruise has butlers, free minibars, a private restaurant included in their fare, unlimited alcohol, priority embarkation and disembarkation? *confused*

I'm not sure you are correct in that from the little I have read on the HAL board.

And isn't ANY cruise line a case of base package plus whatever perks you choose? How is that anything different or special? They ALL do it!

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

I know Cruisetrail's opinions are not always popular on this board, but I have to agree here. The YC takes away forward looking deck space. Comparing the Fantasia and Splendida, which both have a YC, with the Orchestra, which doesn't, the Orchestra feels much more open. It's great to be able to completely walk around on the top deck, to feel the wind and to see where the ship is going.

Its not the Yacht Club that takes away from a forward looking space, its the work out/gym area! Greatly under utilized on our 2 weeks, a great location for a future looking bar!:D

As far as the need, or failure as the Tail Tale would put it of a walk around deck, that's subjective, we never used one, and could care less!:eek:

Call it different styles for different folks, no right, no wrong!:)

Its not the Yacht Club that takes away from a forward looking space, its the work out/gym area! Greatly under utilized on our 2 weeks, a great location for a future looking bar!:D

You make a good point, wise Bear! It's always good to get the opinion of someone who has actually been on the ship

Well that's the problem the HAL board does not suggest anything like a

It's a "Yacht Club Plus" ship - for everyone.

And no suggestion that it is has been forwarded by anyone credible that I can see.

$500 per passenger for what ship? Which sailing? what kind of accommodation? An inside? Or a balcony cabin high up in the ship?

doing some mock boardings on HAL can't seem to find to many $500pp trips.

The first week of December is ofter the least expensive time to sail.

The Eurodam offers $500 pp in an inside

7-DAY WESTERN CARIBBEAN

ms Eurodam

CWF407.jpgfor-more-info-icon.png For more info... Departure Dates:

Fares shown are for the specific departure date.

Details

blue_star_new.png Login to add to Favorites

Compare (up to 3)

Interior

From

US$499*

per person

depart 07 Dec 2014

Ocean-view

From

US$699*

per person

depart 07 Dec 2014

Verandah

From

US$699*

per person

depart 07 Dec 2014

Signature Suite (Superior Verandah Suite)

From

US$1,299*

per person

depart 07 Dec 2014

Neptune Suite (Deluxe Verandah Suite)

From

US$1,699*

per person

depart 07 Dec 2014

As does the Nieuw amsterdam

7-DAY EASTERN CARIBBEAN

ms Nieuw Amsterdam

C4FE07.jpgfor-more-info-icon.png For more info... Departure Dates:

Fares shown are for the specific departure date.

Details

blue_star_new.png Login to add to Favorites

Compare (up to 3)

Interior

From

US$499*

per person

depart 07 Dec 2014

Ocean-view

From

US$699*

per person

depart 07 Dec 2014

Verandah

From

US$699*

per person

depart 07 Dec 2014

Signature Suite (Superior Verandah Suite)

From

US$1,299*

per person

depart 07 Dec 2014

Neptune Suite (Deluxe Verandah Suite)

From

US$1,699*

per person

depart 07 Dec 2014

You may qualify for special pricing. Please login or register.

So I guess if an inside is the same as a mini suite then so be it.

I was curious what the experience of a common passenger is like and how the Yacht Club affects the non-Yacht Club guests. Is the section of the ship exclusive to Yacht Club guests a noticeable fraction of the ship? Are the services devoted the YC guests at the expense of the enjoyment of the common guests?

I was interested in booking a cruise on the MSC Divina, however the whole notion of the YC (1st class) makes me a bit leery. I was wondering if any of you kind folks have experienced this either way and if you could chime in. Much appreciated!

Common passenger? How hoity toity of you. :rolleyes:

The Yacht Club is the same as the Haven on NCL. The fact that it is there doesn't affect my cruise in the slightest.

As far as the need, or failure as the Tail Tale would put it of a walk around deck, that's subjective, we never used one, and could care less!:eek:

Call it different styles for different folks, no right, no wrong!:)

The gym was crowded on all the European sailings I was on and allowed for some fantastic views while working out. Might be different on the Divina though, due to different preferences of the American passengers. Nevertheless, I agree that this would also have been a great place for a forward looking bar.

What this would not solve though is the issue of forward looking deck space, where one can feel the wind and see where the ship is going so that it really feels like being on a ship rather than on a floating hotel.

I noticed that the new 'Aurea experience' is also costing deck space to the lower classes. Here from the MSC Opera on Tuesday.

AureaGuests.jpg

This is the access to the forward 'Sun Deck' (deck 13). I assume it will be the same across all four Lirica class ships.

Not a good development. Let's see how long MSC will remain attractive for the ordinary folks.

The gym was crowded on all the European sailings I was on and allowed for some fantastic views while working out. Might be different on the Divina though, due to different preferences of the American passengers. Nevertheless, I agree that this would also have been a great place for a forward looking bar.

What this would not solve though is the issue of forward looking deck space, where one can feel the wind and see where the ship is going so that it really feels like being on a ship rather than on a floating hotel.

Is that bit at the front ever used? It looks like it has a pool but I can't find it on any deck plans.

MSC%20Musica-visore_tcm12-2939.jpg

I will also be a commoner and new to MSC next week though I am an avid cruiser on Carnival. I'm not too worried about the YC. I'm not a fancy person and would rather spend my money on fun rather than luxury. The front of the ship is normally too windy for me anyway and the main dining room will serve food that I'm sure will be edible. What I'm most looking forward to is seeing new places and meeting new people!

Not sure about MSC but on Carnival the pool at the very front if the ship is for the crew though very few of them use it as their boss looks right at it from the bridge. Lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You did not get the point. It's a "Yacht Club Plus" ship - for everyone.

Choose a cabin you like, enjoy the "base package" or add "perks" of your choice.

Prices from $500 pp.

MSC YC - from $1,800 pp

We can get 2-3 cruises instead of one in YC.

This how products compare.

If you have more qiestions - please switch to a HAL message board.

Actually Cruisetrail you are wearing rose tinted shades when discussing HAL. We sailed HAL last fall and didn't find the service or the perks any better than a base price balcony on MSC Divina. In some cases Hal was disappointing. The entertainment at night ( and I'm not just discussing the theater shows) was almost non existent on HAL. When there was a show the venue was so packed that we couldn't get a seat.

I could continue in my comparison of Hal vs. MSC...but I think that has been covered somewhere on these boards and I would probably be boring people. At the end of the day we enjoyed both cruises, looking forward HAL is at the bottom of our list of cruiselines to book again for a multitude of reasons.

Common passenger? How hoity toity of you. :rolleyes:

The Yacht Club is the same as the Haven on NCL. The fact that it is there doesn't affect my cruise in the slightest.

I do not see how I am being "hoity toity". If I book a cruise on the MSC Divina, I will be one of those common passengers.

I do not see how I am being "hoity toity". If I book a cruise on the MSC Divina, I will be one of those common passengers.

Words and choice of words matter.

Terms like plebeian and common suggest a certain attitude towards those who aren't or choose not to be. Even if its not meant that way it could come off that way.

AureaGuests.jpg

Hi Tim.

We had that on the Armonia in March! Don't know about you but it totally spoilt my whole cruise.

Actually Cruisetrail you are wearing rose tinted shades when discussing HAL. We sailed HAL last fall and didn't find the service or the perks any better than a base price balcony on MSC Divina. In some cases Hal was disappointing. The entertainment at night ( and I'm not just discussing the theater shows) was almost non existent on HAL. When there was a show the venue was so packed that we couldn't get a seat.

I could continue in my comparison of Hal vs. MSC...but I think that has been covered somewhere on these boards and I would probably be boring people. At the end of the day we enjoyed both cruises, looking forward HAL is at the bottom of our list of cruiselines to book again for a multitude of reasons.

I only recommend HAL for people over 70 and people with kids before 3 years old (they go to sleep at 9 pm any way with kids))LOL . Did not find service on HAL any better than on MSC . amount of wheel chairs and dead person on any cruise does not make it too attractive to young people.

The fact that you use terms such as "common passenger" is being hoity toity. This isn't like 3rd Class steerage as on the Titanic. I usually cruise in Inside or Oceanview cabins yet I am no where near being a "common passenger". I'd simply rather spend my money on more days at sea than having a butler any day of the week.

If you didn't want to be hoity toity, then don't use words like common passenger or plebeian and just simply ask "what would the difference be between the YC and Inside cabins?".

Edited by Out to sea!

Hi Tim.

We had that on the Armonia in March! Don't know about you but it totally spoilt my whole cruise.

Did we? Never even noticed! Then again, I don't remember trying to go there anyway - there is no bar there after all!