Time limit on using Circle Savings

PartyAllDaTyme

While on our Princess cruise in May 2013, we purchased a Circle Savings credit for $100. We were told at the time that it was good for two years, but if we didn't use it in that timeframe we could simply call to have it extended another two years; otherwise, it would be automatically refunded back to us. They just did not want people purchasing these and forgetting about them.

One year later (last Sunday, to be precise), we decided to book a cruise for February 2016. Unsure how to apply the credit, I called and was told that it's to be used for another cruise actually taken within two years, but if we called back on Tuesday they will generally apply it as long as the booking is within two years. We put it on courtesy hold.

When I called on Tuesday, I was informed that they can apply it to a cruise if booked within two years, but the cruise itself must be within two and a half years, so we would miss that deadline by three months. However, they would petition to have it allowed and I should have an answer by Friday.

It's not a big deal to me if we can't use the credit, as long as it's eventually refunded. I'm just curious if my experience was atypical, and who along the line was giving me wrong information.

While on our Princess cruise in May 2013, we purchased a Circle Savings credit for $100. We were told at the time that it was good for two years, but if we didn't use it in that timeframe we could simply call to have it extended another two years; otherwise, it would be automatically refunded back to us. They just did not want people purchasing these and forgetting about them.

One year later (last Sunday, to be precise), we decided to book a cruise for February 2016. Unsure how to apply the credit, I called and was told that it's to be used for another cruise actually taken within two years, but if we called back on Tuesday they will generally apply it as long as the booking is within two years. We put it on courtesy hold.

When I called on Tuesday, I was informed that they can apply it to a cruise if booked within two years, but the cruise itself must be within two and a half years, so we would miss that deadline by three months. However, they would petition to have it allowed and I should have an answer by Friday.

It's not a big deal to me if we can't use the credit, as long as it's eventually refunded. I'm just curious if my experience was atypical, and who along the line was giving me wrong information.

Who would petition what? Princess? :eek:

Never heard that before.

Its called a future cruise credit or deposit, FCC.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Who would petition what? Princess? :eek:

Never heard that before.

Its called a future cruise credit or deposit, FCC.

That's the verbiage the CSR at Princess used when I asked if they would honor the FCC-- she checked with her supervisor, who had initially said they could not honor it, but that she (the supervisor) would petition another department to see if they would make an exception. I offered to have them just forget about it if it was unlikely they would be able to honor it, but the CSR said her supervisor wouldn't petition if she didn't think it would be approved.

I generally refer to these as a future cruise credit, but I was going by the language on the Princess website.

That's the verbiage the CSR at Princess used when I asked if they would honor the FCC-- she checked with her supervisor, who had initially said they could not honor it, but that she (the supervisor) would petition another department to see if they would make an exception. I offered to have them just forget about it if it was unlikely they would be able to honor it, but the CSR said her supervisor wouldn't petition if she didn't think it would be approved.

I generally refer to these as a future cruise credit, but I was going by the language on the Princess website.

I did have this happen. I can't remember if they called it "petition", but it was something very close to that. It turned out that they approved the "exception" and, Princess changed the expiration date on my FCC so I could use it a few months past the date.

Looking at the small print on a FCC we purchased in February, all it says is that it needs to be "applied to a new booking created within two years from the date of purchase." It does not mention a "sail by" date.

An older FCC I used (was good for 4 years) has the wording "The deposit should be applied to a booking that sails within four years from date of purchase."

What does the small print on your certificate say?

If your FCC does not have a "sail by" date, then I think you have met the conditions of applying the FCC to your cruise.

Heck, I wouldn't be able to find the fine print. Probably in an email from last year. I could probably locate it if I dug for it.

Anyway, it's a moot point-- today, the $100 credit was applied to the booking. Thank you, Princess!:)