Live from the 05/25 Liberty of the Seas Western Mediterannean

@marty0127- Not sure what your interest are in Rome we are wanting to hit the Vatican, Coliseum, Pantheon and Trevi Fountain and at this point we are planning on trying it on our own. We hope to leave as early as we can get off the ship to catch a train. i'm definitinely a little apprehensive about it but the savings I think will be worth it and I really didn't find any ship excursions that offered to see all these. We are a family of 6 with us being 48- kids are 27,25,23 (SIL) and 22 I doubt we will stay a long time at any site as we only have so many hours and my family wants to get in seeing as much as possible. We will get a tour in the Vatican not sure how long that last? But if you are interested in riding with us on the train (if you are an early bird)let me know I always like the kids along as I feel safety in #. Also debating checking about the tour guide smiley9713 recommended for $50 an hour not sure how many hours we'd need and if you would be interested in splitting the cost? I wonder if it would help us get more accomplished than doing on my own?

If you and marti0127 are looking to book a tour of Rome that includes major sites such as the Vatican, Colosseum, Pantheon, and Trevi Fountain, you can try Rome In Limo's Rome Highlights shore excursion. For a group of 8 people, it's 600 Euros for the group (75 Euros per person, lunch NOT included, admission tickets and tour guide to Vatican and Colosseum NOT included).

Below are a couple of links to the Rome In Limo Rome Highlights shore excursion. In the 2nd link, you can create a group by clicking on the box for the 19th in the calendar. I'm already participating with another group of 8 people, but if you and marti0127 have 8 people, that tour might be good for you because they have a driver who will pick you up at the port and drive you in a minivan to the sites so you don't have to take trains, buses, or taxis.

http://www.romeinlimo.com/rome-civitavecchia/highlights.htm

http://www.romeinlimotoursharing.com/scheda_tour.php?url=/rome-civitavecchia/highlights.htm&pname=Civitavecchia, Port of Rome&it=30

So it's been a while since I've been on a cruise (almost 20 years). Do they still offer midnight buffets? And if so, every night? One night? Can't remember and I want to attend at least one if they have it!

So it's been a while since I've been on a cruise (almost 20 years). Do they still offer midnight buffets? And if so, every night? One night? Can't remember and I want to attend at least one if they have it!

Some ships have one late night buffet on the pool deck, with an ice carving or two.

Ardilla,

I didn't notice any difference in dress between the first formal night and the second. There's not much people can do when they're already onboard and packed. They have what they have. I wasn't even sure of the point of why they even titled it that.

@navycruiser- please gibe us a report when you get back as we are going in Sept and am looking for as much information as possible from different peoples perspective.

This thread has been so helpful and it's nice that it is current.

Is there anyway to check ahead of time about train strikes?

And thank you Navycruiser for your service. I appreciate everything you do.

Tidygirl, you can check the trenitalia website directly or the italiarail website for updates on strikes. They're planned well in advance.

@TYDYGIRL: Thank you so much to offer to be with your family. We will love to be with you. We were planning to do what Smiley mentioned to get in the train and take it from there. We can meet in the ship and coordinate the time to go the train. I'm planning to buy the train tickets ahead of time with EuroRail. Please count me in to be in your family. Thanks again. Aida

Edited by marti0127

TO SMILEY9713:

Thank you so much for your advices, you are wonderful to take the time to answer everybody's concerns and questions. Actually, I bought the hop on and off for Saturday. I guess Friday I will do the same once I get there. Also I scheduled the Ghost tour for Friday the day we arrive at 9:30pm until 11:30pm, looking to the itinerary and the place we finish the tour we are 20min walking distance to our hotel or try to take transportation. How did you see the city that late at night? Aida

Marti0127,

You're going to have a blast. I'm already jealous and want to go back :). I didn't see Barcelona at night. I toured it the day I flew in and the day I got back from the cruise. 1 day on each side of the cruise during the day. I did the hop on hop off bus. It runs 9 am to 8 pm. Once it was done I went and ate. It gets dark around 9 30 over there.

Marti0127,

You're going to have a blast. I'm already jealous and want to go back :). I didn't see Barcelona at night. I toured it the day I flew in and the day I got back from the cruise. 1 day on each side of the cruise during the day. I did the hop on hop off bus. It runs 9 am to 8 pm. Once it was done I went and ate. It gets dark around 9 30 over there.

Dear Smiley9713

I'm a little bit nervous because is just my husband and me doing the tour since I haven't talk to no one else. But something I remembered when I went to Madrid on 2007 it was how lively the city was at midnight, hopefully Barcelona will be the same. Considering that Friday is the 13th maybe there will be a good number of people doing this tour (I hope) I will let you know. After the cruise we actually are coming home hopefully we don't lose our flight since I got the 10:45am flight. keeping my fingers cross. :D

Thanks a bunch to Smiley9713 for posting an amazing amount of information. While we weren't able to get Sabrina for the Rome tour, we were able to get someone she recommended so hopefully she'll be just as good. We embark in Barcelona on the 15th (can't believe it is a week tomorrow). We will have 2 and a half days in Barcelona before the cruise and looking forward to that city based on your "review".

Thanks again for the valuable information.

\Ray

Marti0127,

It's definitely a late night place. Most restaurants there didn't open for dinner until 8 pm. Most people there eat around 10 and the clubs open at midnight or later so expect lots of activity at all hours while you're there.

Bulk,

I trust Sabrina so if she referred you to someone else, I'm sure she's almost as good. According to many, Sabrina is the best guide in Italy so she's booked regularly. I booked her 3 months out to get in with her and am planning a western med cruise next summer as well and will use her again.

I'm headed back on the Allure during the same time frame next year. Villefranche port out and Mallorca in because of the inability to tender. Everything else, itinerary wise, will be the same except for the size and class of the ship.

Europe's amazing. I can't recommend it enough. Blows away anything I've ever done or seen on my many prior cruises, all to the Caribbean and Alaska.

As an FYI:

While Rail Europe is great, Trenitalia does occasionally have ... problems. While I was in Cinque Terre (specifically Manarola) last week, one of the afternoon trains had mechanical problems and ended up being 45 minutes late. The train before had left 2 minutes early. I and a family of 4 on the same train ended up boarding the ship at 6:58 pm, for a theoretical 7:00 pm sailaway.

Also, the shuttle buses were running a little late in Civitavecchia, and I ended up being late for my 9 am Vatican appointment. (Missed the 7:44 and 7:58 trains to San Pietro--the latter left slightly early by the station clock--and the next one was at 8:42. Had I been told that the station was about 15 minutes' walk rather than the 10 that most people said--because the port gates at which we were dropped were farther away--then I likely would have taken a taxi to the Civitavecchia station and made the 7:58, admittedly.) Fortunately, they worked around it (and accepted the one-word explanation of "Trenitalia"), but it happens sometimes. Fortunately, I had mostly planned on sticking around the general vicinity of Vatican City anyway, so it didn't cause too much trouble with my plans. For any lunching in the area, Sorpasso on Via Properzio has incredible food.

That said, I loved Cinque Terre. It killed me, but the hiking and the views were incredible.

Edited by nemini

Hello Tidygirl; Do your plans to visit Rome hasn't change? Are you still riding the train and visiting the city on your own? Another traveler suggested another tour company and I'm going to check into that one in case you are interested? Let me know. This is the link in case you will like to check it out

http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/visiting-rome/private-excursions?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=165&category_id=40

Edited by marti0127