NCL collects and holds Passports?

rhinomike

Better NCL has your passport than some crook on the via boulevard plaza del pick-pocketa !

Also BRAVO to those that are smart enough to make copies of their passports !

In the unlikely event (where have I heard that one before) having copies will

make the replacement issue with your embassy or other source a lot easier !

Thanks for the many posts/heads up - reducing the worry of what is going on and

facilitates the job of NCL to comply with government border regulations.

If you did not know - this would certainly raise questions !

Still complications if you do not return to the ship in time for sailing and getting

to the next port without documents ???

Last March I sailed the Western Mediterranean on the Jade. Rome, Mykonos, Athens, Ephesus, Istanbul, Florence. My passport was never collected, but maybe it changes in relation to the political climate or unrest, etc. At some ports we had to show passports when disembarking, but I don't remember which ones.

Still complications if you do not return to the ship in time for sailing and getting

to the next port without documents ???

Last year at Athens 2 young ladies were very late coming back. The ship was almost ready to leave without them. I saw a member of guest services staff come down the gangway and hand the passports to the port agent. I was directly above the gangway about 2 decks above where this was happening. The passports were blue with a metallic crest. I thought they were US passports but could be wrong. They were not European passports as they are red.

Hands were shaken and the gangway got pulled, just then they came rushing onto the dock. The plank came back out, the port agent gave them their documents back and they were rushed on board. Within 2 minutes the ship was pulling away from the dock.

So, if you miss the ship the port agent will be waiting for you with your passports and to help you decide what you are going to do now as that ship is not coming back to get you.