Around the dock?

dljones

If we choose not to do an excursion in Belize what is there to do around the dock? Is it safe to venture out of the dock area into the surrounding area? Is there anything to see or do there?

Thanks!!

We were there in March, our third visit. We just had breakfast on the ship, waited for the tender mob to die down some, went to the tourism village and hung out a few hours, had some food and drink at the Thirsty Pirate.used their wifi. Wife shopped a bit...My opinion is there is enough to do there...

Edited by TXSAIL

Hi Crewsweeper. What we liked is it not having the blarring music. We ate the caveche,probably spelled wrong,as far as WIFI it states one cocktail...There were 3 guys there that bought one beer only, not for each, but 1 and they were trying to use it , and Cate the nice Canadian owner got them to break down and buy 2 more.She also owns the Rum shack there on the other end,had a $6 cocktail there..At Thirsty Pirate the Belikin was 2 for $5..Cate is very nice and does not quibble much on WIFI use as long as you spend a little..

TXSAIL,

How was the Thirsty Pirate? Food? Drinks? Compared to Wet Lizard? I've never been but have heard you need to spend a certain amount of $ to get access to wifi. True? how much?

Is there a restaurant there at the dock or close by? What about shopping?

The Wet Lizard has food and there are some shops in the secured area.

LuLu

Also the Thirsty Pirate, which is being discussed here. Best shops on the pier, IMO, "Made in Belize (or maybe china, please read my label:D)" and "Moho Chocolates".

In the "unsecured:confused:" area directly across from the terminal pier is a local craft market with friendly folks who indeed do sell Made In Belize goods, at lower prices than inside the terminal. And there are some local restaurants within a 5 minute walk. Bird's Isle, Nerie's, Annie's Lunchbox, and the Smokey Mermaid come readily to mind. More adventurous cruisers might enjoy taking a taxi over to the stadium on West Collet Canal and checking out Michael Finnegan open air market.

We were there in April. We went to the market out of the tourist area and didn't have any trouble or feel unsafe. We took a carriage ride of the city for $10 per person and enjoyed it. The people were friendly. :)

I've read some people say Belize is a stop you do not want to venture on your own. Did you feel safe going outside the "secured area" without an excursion?

I have been told by people that are from there not to venture from the tourist areas. Not a guarantee that something will happen, not worth the risk though. Got to listen to people that know the area.