Handicap Staterooms-Allure

Can someone provide me with some information who has had these rooms before? My mother booked one of these rooms. She has some mobility issues but doesn't require a wheelchair all the time. Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean will provide a wheelchair to help her on and off the ship? Also, can she get a wheelchair for the muster drill as she can't stand in one place for the entire time of the drill.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

They will provide a wheelchair to get her on the ship...but they won't have one for her use onboard. If she requires a wheelchair (even part time), she will have to bring her own, or rent one. There are companies that will deliver to the ship!

It sounds like she will need one to have at her disposal on the ship....go to the Cruising with Disability boards and find out what some rental companies are.

Also, can she get a wheelchair for the muster drill as she can't stand in one place for the entire time of the drill.

The stations for the Muster on the Allure are inside in the venues. Ours was in the champainer bar. they lower screens from the ceiling and show an instruction video. if you arrive early you can sit in one of the chairs.

You should consider bringing your own. This is a big ship and lots of walking. Go to the drill early and get a seat, and then expect to be the last one to leave. The rooms are large enough for a wheelchair and electric scooter. Have you considered renting one of these. She might enjoy this, as my parents have rented them on many occasions. Getting off the ship with wheelchair assistance will take a lot of patience on your part, so expect to wait a long time for help. Personally, I would not be dependent on the ship's personnel to assist you in any way. You can rent a small scooter for around $300 a week I believe and well worth the cost overall. Good luck!

I have not been on Allure but have had a handicapped balcony cabin on Oasis as my other half has mobility problems.

They will provide a wheel chair to get her on the ship. They usually go just inside the ship and drop you off. When departing the ship you will wait in a pre-assigned area and they will have people taking you off the ship and down to the transportation area.

As for muster, it will be held inside. They let the handicapped people leave a few minutes before everyone else is released so they can get to the elevators without being part of a mad rush.

As other have said, Allure is quite a large ship with a lot of walking. It would be very wise to rent a scooter or wheelchair to use for your vacation. Only 2 companies are approved by Royal to bring this type of equipment aboard. They re Special Needs at Sea and Care Vacations. You can of course bring your own. Typical rental for 1 week for a scooter is approx. $200 - $250.

Enjoy your cruise!

We had an inside accessible cabin 3178 for our cruise on the Allure in December 2013. My mother also has mobility issues and uses a walker all the time. She did not need to use a wheelchair at all. She can walk good distances with the use of the walker. And we just took it slow and really planned our days to certain areas of the ship. One key for us was to plan a nap, or time to lay down, every day... so we could stay up late. The main purpose of our cruise was that mom have a good time and we did. Just plan enough time to get to wherever you are going.

Make sure you fill out the special needs form and get it back to them ASAP. You can do this on line... here is the link... https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Here is the link to the Special Needs page on the web site -- http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/home.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=7

Special Needs is really great... and they will help you with whatever you need and answer any questions you have.

Can someone provide me with some information who has had these rooms before? Excellent choice for any accessible cabin... the nice thing is there are grab bars in the shower and bathroom. It was very nice, especially for me, as I didn't feel like I had to be in the cabin with mom all the time. The toilet is raised and that is a big help. There are pull cords through out the cabin... just in case of emergency they will send someone if a cord is pulled.

My mother booked one of these rooms. She has some mobility issues but doesn't require a wheelchair all the time. Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean will provide a wheelchair to help her on and off the ship? Yes, they will provide wheelchairs for getting on and off the ship at the beginning and end of the voyage. When you drop off your luggage you can request wheelchair assistance at that time. If you mom wants to walk into the terminal, she can, but I recommend you suggest she get a chair as soon as you get to the terminal. It may not look like a lot of walking, but it is for someone that has mobility issues. It can also be a good bit of standing. You, your mom and entire party can board with those needing assistance. Depending on many factors the ramps and gangways may be very steep for someone with issues. Using the chair will start her cruise off so much better. The crew member took mom onto the ship and right to the Park Cafe for us to get a bite to eat. We always tip the attendant.

Also, can she get a wheelchair for the muster drill as she can't stand in one place for the entire time of the drill. No, if you do not rent or bring a chair, there will not be one for you to use on the ship. You will not have trouble on the Allure, as other said, if you get there a little early and find a chair. During our drill the crew had us sit near the door, not with our assigned group, and they dismissed us about 5 minutes before the general dismissal (just after the drill information was completed) so we could use the elevators before the crowds.

Another suggestion I have is to check your table location if you have assigned dining. Make sure your mom's mobility issues are noted on your reservation (a call to RCI will note this). The dining room manager will make sure there is easy access to your table. The dining room staff will 'park' a walker or chair after your mother is comfortably seated and bring it to you after dinner.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. The Allure, though seeming huge is really very easy to get around. A walk through Central Park was one of mom's favorite thing to do. We opted to eat lunch in the Park Cafe most days because it was easy to access and staff was always helpful. The chairs outside were easy for mom to get in and out of. All areas of the ship had great places to sit and take a break. The key for us was to not try to see the whole ship in one day... it really took us 7 days.

Getting off the ship in port may be a problem for your mom, without a wheelchair. Mom did not get off at Labadee... but if you mom wants to get off... please do so. There are wheelchairs on the island and an attendant will meet you at the ship and help your mom during her visit to the island. Tipping is customary. Also, they will bring her back to the ship, but they can not push her onto the ship, unless she has her own chair.

If you think she may need a chair, then by all means make sure to rent one. If you do not and during the cruise your mom needs one there may be one available on the ship... but there may not be one available. There is a $250 (I think) security deposit required and I do not know if they charge. I do not know what it costs to rent a chair.

Good luck... and if I can answer any other questions, please let me know. :)

When I sailed with my mom on the Oasis 2 years ago, I was able to get a wheelchair for my mother from the pursers desk. They took her sea pass to put a deposit on it in case she didn't return the wheelchair. We kept the wheelchair for 4 or 5 days. They were very helpful. We didn't rent a wheelchair before the start of the cruise because we didn't think it was necessary. Unfortunately, she had some issues at the start of the cruise that required the use of the wheelchair. In regards to assistance getting on/off the ship, RCCL has been extremely helpful. Ask for a wheelchair once you get to the port. Our experience each of our last 6 cruises is they can't do enough for her. They have been very attentive to her and her needs. As a bonus, with wheelchair assistance comes getting through security a whole lot faster. Once on the ship, the wheelchair pusher was willing to push her to where ever she wanted to go. In regards to leaving the ship, it was very quick. Again a bonus was getting through customs very quickly. Being able to get a wheelchair for my mom while on board was a blessing. It was very easy. The muster drill was a non issue for her. We simply told the crew member she had a disability. They immediately directed her to a place to sit for the duration of the drill.

Good luck.