Did anyone notice: Wine bottles prices went up by 21 % !

rubens

We only sail Princess and Celebrity so can only compare those two.

Wine and liquor prices across the board are significantly less on Princess. There used to be one kind of wine (can't remember the name) that both lines had and that was about $15/bottle more on Celebrity. Neither line carries that wine any more.

The only wine I can compare from 2013 to now on Celebrity is the Catena Malbec (which they only sell by the glass). Feb. 2013 it was $8.50, Feb. 2014 it was $9.50 and on the most recent list it was $10.50. :eek: (You figure out the percentage rise for that.)

After our Feb. 2013 cruise we decided to buy a few bottles for the house - surprise! - it was $16.99/bottle. Just checked last week and it's now $14.99/bottle. We usually buy much better wine than this so it's a pleasant inexpensive alternative (at home at least, NOT so much on the ship!)

We buy a decent amount of good wine (WAY better than that Malbec) and I just asked my husband if prices had gone up significantly recently. He said no. 4 or 5 years ago they did.

(And we don't drink the ship's better wines because he says the constant motion on the ship ruins the better older wines. We bring our own for that.)

The 2011 Catena Malbec was rated 91 by Wine Spectator. Not too shabby. Price at BevMo is $19.99.

I prefer the Alamos Malbec which is below $10 at Costco, so I'm sure you would hate it.

We only sail Princess and Celebrity so can only compare those two.

Wine and liquor prices across the board are significantly less on Princess. There used to be one kind of wine (can't remember the name) that both lines had and that was about $15/bottle more on Celebrity. Neither line carries that wine any more.

The only wine I can compare from 2013 to now on Celebrity is the Catena Malbec (which they only sell by the glass). Feb. 2013 it was $8.50, Feb. 2014 it was $9.50 and on the most recent list it was $10.50. :eek: (You figure out the percentage rise for that.)

After our Feb. 2013 cruise we decided to buy a few bottles for the house - surprise! - it was $16.99/bottle. Just checked last week and it's now $14.99/bottle. We usually buy much better wine than this so it's a pleasant inexpensive alternative (at home at least, NOT so much on the ship!)

We buy a decent amount of good wine (WAY better than that Malbec) and I just asked my husband if prices had gone up significantly recently. He said no. 4 or 5 years ago they did.

(And we don't drink the ship's better wines because he says the constant motion on the ship ruins the better older wines. We bring our own for that.)

The 2011 Catena Malbec was rated 91 by Wine Spectator. Not too shabby. Price at BevMo is $19.99.

I prefer the Alamos Malbec which is below $10 at Costco, so I'm sure you would hate it.

You should shop in Detroit! ;) :p

Why do you prefer the Alamos? I'm willing to try anything. (As long as it's red and dry.)

I like white wine. Based on all the talk about Conundrum on a few of the various package threads, I brought a bottle last night to try it out. $19.99 retail for a screw off top bottle of white wine. Ok, I try it. It's not bad, but it is far from a great white wine (in my sole opinion). In any event, I find it hard to see why Celebrity now prices this wine above the premium package price when a full bottle is only $20. retail....and probably much less wholesale. I was planning on upgrading my classic package to the premium package for the wine choices. I don't do martini's or really see myself at the molecular bar, but based on the wine that I did taste that was above the premium package, it seems to me that it is not a good idea to upgrade for the wines.

BTW, I did notice that Celebrity raised the classic wine limit to $9. I think that has to do with the fact that there were 0 wines (excluding the house no-name brands) priced under $8.00 after the wine increase price. If I have to have a wine that I don't particularly care for, I surely do not want to pay $11.50 per day more and then pay additional on top of that for a mediocre wine. YMMV

On Celebrity you are only allowed 2 - 750 ml bottles per cabin upon embarkation of the cruise. Your 3rd bottle of $100 wine they will confiscate.

Only if they catch you. :D I bring 2 bottles, my wife brings 2 bottles.

On some ships they let you keep bottles that you buy in ports. we have done this successfully on our last 2 TAs.

Dave

Which is why us Canadians cry when we have to leave the USA :)

There are numerous BC wines that we can't get in the US, Quails Gate immediately comes to mind. In fact due to some really strange Provincial Laws (not saying we don't have some equally strange State and Commonwealth laws in the US as well) many BC wines aren't available in all of the Provinces. Many of the Canadian wines we can get are extremely expensive here--we pay up to double what we would in Canada due to the import and export taxes.

That said, BC Liquor Stores have a lot of Napa reds at quite reasonable prices. Insignia, Continuum, Caymus Special Select, Lail J Daniel, BV Latour, Long Shadows Feather (Randy Dunn), the list goes on. You couldn't bring those back and pay duty/taxes/fees and get them at better prices, and they are only a bit above US pricing.

I like white wine. Based on all the talk about Conundrum on a few of the various package threads, I brought a bottle last night to try it out. $19.99 retail for a screw off top bottle of white wine. Ok, I try it. It's not bad, but it is far from a great white wine (in my sole opinion). In any event, I find it hard to see why Celebrity now prices this wine above the premium package price when a full bottle is only $20. retail....and probably much less wholesale. I was planning on upgrading my classic package to the premium package for the wine choices. I don't do martini's or really see myself at the molecular bar, but based on the wine that I did taste that was above the premium package, it seems to me that it is not a good idea to upgrade for the wines.

BTW, I did notice that Celebrity raised the classic wine limit to $9. I think that has to do with the fact that there were 0 wines (excluding the house no-name brands) priced under $8.00 after the wine increase price. If I have to have a wine that I don't particularly care for, I surely do not want to pay $11.50 per day more and then pay additional on top of that for a mediocre wine. YMMV

Cayamus has change quite a bit, it used to be good table wine. Then the husband and wife divorced. He got the Cayamus name and wines, she got Conundrum, which probably sells more, makes less, and it was all equal I guess. But Cnundrum changed over the years and now it's "eh". Not sure why it is above premium, it doesn't make sense to me either.

If you're only upgrading for the wine, it won't be worth it. If you also drink premium water (pelegrino) some Martinis and the molecular bar, it would be. The molecular bar is worth trying.

You can always see how it goes without upgrading, and upgrade mid cruises if it fancies you. Even on the spot if you find a drink you like and think you'll keep drinking others.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Cayamus has change quite a bit, it used to be good table wine. Then the husband and wife divorced. He got the Cayamus name and wines, she got Conundrum, which probably sells more, makes less, and it was all equal I guess. But Cnundrum changed over the years and now it's "eh". Not sure why it is above premium, it doesn't make sense to me either.

If you're only upgrading for the wine, it won't be worth it. If you also drink premium water (pelegrino) some Martinis and the molecular bar, it would be. The molecular bar is worth trying.

You can always see how it goes without upgrading, and upgrade mid cruises if it fancies you. Even on the spot if you find a drink you like and think you'll keep drinking others.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

FYI--It's not "Cayamas," it's Caymus. When Chuck Wagner and Cheryl Emmolo divorced, she retained the acreage under vine in Rutherford that had been in her family since the early 1900's--these are the vineyards that the Sauvignon Blanc that goes into the Conundrum comes from. Wine maker Jon Bolta decided to stay with that side of the operation. When Conundrum was first introduced in 1988, it wasn't the "cash flow" wine it is today. Rather, is was a well crafted blend with a hint of Semillion. It also came in a bottle with a proper cork rather than a Stelvin, and was suitable to age for 10 or more years.

I'm not sure it was ever worth the $30+ price tag originally attached to it--although I don't think the Wagner family has produced a wine worth it's price tag since Randy Dunn left in '85.

Useless trivia--the Wagner's don't grow the fruit used in Caymus Special Select. They buy it from a vineyard down in Coombsville.

FYI--It's not "Cayamas," it's Caymus. When Chuck Wagner and Cheryl Emmolo divorced, she retained the acreage under vine in Rutherford that had been in her family since the early 1900's--these are the vineyards that the Sauvignon Blanc that goes into the Conundrum comes from. Wine maker Jon Bolta decided to stay with that side of the operation. When Conundrum was first introduced in 1988, it wasn't the "cash flow" wine it is today. Rather, is was a well crafted blend with a hint of Semillion. It also came in a bottle with a proper cork rather than a Stelvin, and was suitable to age for 10 or more years.

I'm not sure it was ever worth the $30+ price tag originally attached to it--although I don't think the Wagner family has produced a wine worth it's price tag since Randy Dunn left in '85.

Useless trivia--the Wagner's don't grow the fruit used in Caymus Special Select. They buy it from a vineyard down in Coombsville.

I originally had it as Caymus, then for some unknown reason in my tired head, I changed it. Silly me, thanks for the correction.

I do like some of the Caymus Cabs.

Happy sailing, and wine drinking

Jenna