Google Hang Out 11/06/2014

Nice to know that I didn't miss anything being at work and all. Also, RCI's website has more "details".

Talk about a let down. Will I ever learn anything substantial prior to the Nov. 2 maiden voyage? I'm coming to grips that the answer is probably no...

Are you sure? No Pub at the Royal Promenade or a Bar in the solarium?

Sarcasm ;) expressing my disappointment that we only learned about venues we already knew about today. Nothing about the remaining "more to come" spaces... not sure when, or under what possible category, these spaces could be "revealed" since they apparently don't constitute entertainment.

Thank you Dave for saying it...I deleted my response 4 times as I couldn't find the right words to say how disappointed I was with that total utter waste of time that google hangout was.

I have had more fun and learnt more watching paint dry.

I totally agree with you. So disappointed!:(

Bev

"revealed" since they apparently don't constitute entertainment.

This hangout showed that RCCL is still designing the ship. I think the more to come spots are for franchises like Starbucks, Ben & Jerry's and Bars not named yet.

Edited by AntiCat

Like everyone else I am disappointed in the content of the chat. Nothing new but the earth harp. And the possibility of charging for entertainment in the future. Should have guessed that when they started charging for pop corn.

Unfortunately it seems like some of the other major entertainment will be high tech and still in the concept stage.

This hangout showed that RCCL is still designing the ship. I think the more to come spots are for franchises like Starbucks, Ben & Jerry's and Bars not named yet.

With only 143 days until the Quantum Launchers from CC get on board Quantum then RCCL better pull its finger out and get on with designing the ship...a bittie quicker. :rolleyes::D

I disagree. There's no way they're still designing the ship to the point that they do not know what all their bars and entertainment venues will be with only 143 days to go. No way. Maybe they're still working out some last minute details with name brand retail vendors (e.g., like Coach on Oasis/Allure). The core venues of the ship were figured out long ago. Remember, the ship yard has to build these venues... which includes designs, ordering materials, reviewing renderings, etc. With a store you can make it pretty generic looking then slap COACH on it at the last minute. Much harder to do that with a Schooner Bar type venue. There is no excuse for not having announced, for example, that there's a Schooner Bar on board by this point. Just my $.02

Edited by Dave85

I disagree. There's no way they're still designing the ship to the point that they do not know what all their bars and entertainment venues will be with only 143 days to go. No way. Maybe they're still working out some last minute details with name brand retail vendors (e.g., like Coach on Oasis/Allure). The core venues of the ship were figured out long ago. Remember, the ship yard has to build these venues... which includes designs, ordering materials, reviewing renderings, etc. With a store you can make it pretty generic looking then slap COACH on it at the last minute. Much harder to do that with a Schooner Bar type venue. There is no excuse for not having announced, for example, that there's a Schooner Bar on board by this point. Just my $.02

Well said. I agree.

Adam did say on his Blog a long long time ago that there would be a Schooner Bar on Quantum. Also if you check out the Accessible information on Quantum it includes info that there will be a lower bartop in Boleros.

Now that was of course before RCCL announced Quantum was going to China...so now..who knows really what all will be on the ship. :(

Ok so it's NOT me.

And the dining reveal was only good if you were actually there!!:D

Nick totally hedged on maybe charging for entertainment in the future.......he skirted the question totally BUT DEI, I see that you did ask on twitter....

I don't think he skirted the question. He clearly said it is something they are looking in to as are other cruise lines. 'Sounded like it's not coming out with the launch of Quantum but he alluded to the fact that it is being considered.

BTW, what does everyone else think "Wink" is:

With class and sass—and your inhibitions left at the door—Royal Caribbean Productions invites you to an adults-only diversion, infusing the best of cabaret-style performance art, premium spirits, and late-night club life into one smashing event.

When I read that description I immediately though of the adult for fee show offered on Star Cruises. Wonder if this is intentionally to target the asian market. How adult do you think they will really get, we know RCCL is terrible at keeping kids out (Quest) so they can't be pushing the limits very much or will likely be sued and fined.

It sounds like all of the theme parties are now being done in Music Hall. Can't see how that will work out, no where near enough room to fit the number of people that attend those events.

Yes I noticed in the video on Quantum website that Wink is in the Music Hall and I wondered if that and perhaps Gatsby would be a theme party like the Prohibition Party on Allure ?

Or would Gatsby be a show? :confused:

Yes I noticed in the video on Quantum website that Wink is in the Music Hall and I wondered if that and perhaps Gatsby would be a theme party like the Prohibition Party on Allure ?

It seems like a theme party... There will likely be a number of theme parties there. Quite a few options given the video walls. You can create any number of settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is how its described on the Quantum site

GATSBY

Glittering with deco details and reveling in the decadence of the roaring twenties, Gatsby transforms Two70° into a celebration that’s true to the past, but as modern as today. No prohibition here, with specialty cocktails inspired by the time, gambling on the hush, live DJ, and guests that are dressed the part. The only password you need to get in: WOW.

This is how its described on the Quantum site

GATSBY

Glittering with deco details and reveling in the decadence of the roaring twenties, Gatsby transforms Two70° into a celebration that’s true to the past, but as modern as today. No prohibition here, with specialty cocktails inspired by the time, gambling on the hush, live DJ, and guests that are dressed the part. The only password you need to get in: WOW.

Ah thank you :D

Adam did say on his Blog a long long time ago that there would be a Schooner Bar on Quantum. Also if you check out the Accessible information on Quantum it includes info that there will be a lower bartop in Boleros.

Now that was of course before RCCL announced Quantum was going to China...so now..who knows really what all will be on the ship. :(

Yep, I remember that. Makes it even sillier that they haven't formally announced those venues and identified them on the deck plans!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Yep, I remember that. Makes it even sillier that they haven't formally announced those venues and identified them on the deck plans!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

At this point I'm just looking forward to the cruise. These so called reveals are not telling anyone anything. Heck I learned more off the website about entertainment than I did at the hangout yesterday!

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

The biggest thing we learned is that they are looking at for fee entertainment in the future. This could go in multiple ways. They have been very careful with their wording to ensure that we will not have to pay for any entertainment on Quantum. That does not mean that they won't charge for Wink when she hits the Asian market. Over their Star Cruises already charges for a similar sounding show so it would be an easy way to enter the for fee entertainment market. They could also be looking at how things go on Quantum and add a fee show to Anthem. Both would be within what they said since the only thing we know for sure is that we won't have to pay for entertainment on Quantum.

What I would prefer to see them do is add special events. As someone else mentioned on here their is a gold mine in the theme cruise market. I would have no problem (and may even buy into some if they pick good ones) with them doing an add on package. The problem with current theme cruises is that you have to use a random travel agent and everyone must pay the extra fee. In most cases they don't even tell you the fee, just a higher cabin price. If RCCL took it on then they could offer it on a sailing. Everyone can book what ever they want through whoever they want, and then add the option on to just the guests that want it. Unlike Carnival's concert series though, it should not be done at the inconvenience of other guests (missed evening entertainment and altered itineraries). Quantum would be great for this. Imagine if they charged $25-50 per person and you got a full day of activities around the theme on a sea day. Maybe for a singer you have a morning Q&A in the theater with autographs and photos. An afternoon matinee concert. Then for dinner using the new Dynamic Dining system they could close off one venue to just the guests in this group and offer a themed meal with the artist in the venue all evening. With the exception of one dining venue being unavailable that night it really has no impact on other guests, could be fun, and earn some extra cash. If you do the math of about 850 (best for the dining venue and theater capacities) guests at $25-50 you would make $21,250-42,500 and then the only cost is the artists fee.

The only themed cruise I've ever considered was a NASCAR one and you could also do a similar thing for that as well, maybe even over several days. The key is to have them be special and additional, not a standard onboard show with a fee. That is the difference between nickel and diming and offering an exciting premium experience for a fee.

I felt a bit sorry for the panel..they looked a bittie bored.:(

What was the point in the panel being there anyway as sometimes Nick didn't even let them ask their questions...uh duh..."and now over to so and so who wants to ask the question......blah blah blah".....well duh what is the point in going over to panelist to ask the question when Nick just asked it.:rolleyes:

What was the point in the panel being there anyway as sometimes Nick didn't even let them ask their questions...uh duh..."and now over to so and so who wants to ask the question......blah blah blah".....well duh what is the point in going over to panelist to ask the question when Nick just asked it.:rolleyes:

But he got to confirm that it was in fact his question. :D

This one seemed a bit more like it was supposed to be an announcement originally, but of course IT announced everything already as they usually do. In the end they didn't really have any announcements but nothing was officially announced so they just kind of went with it as if we were supposed to have always known. That was especially clear when asked when we could book entertainment, an area they still haven't said was officially open and the site still claims is not. The panel was really just their for looks it seemed. They only got one question each, maybe they were a little hesitant after the last hangout. They asked us to send 5 questions and then reviewed our top two questions with us claiming we would get to ask one and if time allowed two. In the actual stream they went to a third round of questions without any notice and didn't really tell us which to ask or if any of our listed ones were inappropriate so they got what ever we were then most interested in knowing.

He does like the sound of his own voice...................and where were the ladies on the panel ??? :eek: