Long Buffet Lines?

I have been seeing some posts about the long waits on the buffet lines and I am starting to get concerned.

I am travelling next year with my special needs son for his first cruise (my third with Carnival). I had previously only dined in the MDR. I did not plan on dining there at all for dinner this cruise because of my son. (the longer dining time, sitting around, waiting around, etc. is an issue).

My plan was to eat dinner at the buffet, pizza, deli, burgers, etc. for dinner. I am now concerned though b/c I am seeing posts of 1/2 hour waits on buffet lines! Is this normal? Is this usually only at 6 or 7 pm? (my son is an early eater. we will be eating dinner anywhere from 4:30-5:30pm).

I did sign up for the any time dining in the MDR if this makes a difference in your responses....

Thanks in advance!

I've never encountered a wait like that. I've seen long lines at peak hours, but it's been a shorter wait. Sometimes you see the person holding up the line is the one picking out the "perfect" size item or a parent in hot discussion with their child while the child decides. Going at early or late times gives almost instant access to foods.

I've never encountered a wait like that. I've seen long lines at peak hours, but it's been a shorter wait. Sometimes you see the person holding up the line is the one picking out the "perfect" size item or a parent in hot discussion with their child while the child decides. Going at early or late times gives almost instant access to foods.

You are so right. 99% of the people who go through those buffet lines, be they white, black, Asian, Male, Female, transgender, straight, gay, bi....are perfectly mannered. Nice and considerate.

The ONE percent. I stood behind a woman with a child in the line to get a burger by the pool. Child wanted Burger King. Discussion was long and stupid. Held up at least a dozen people. I asked her if she was from NYC and then felt ashamed. The people I meet on cruses from NYC are actually almost always very nice.

THEN a woman in the pizza line. Wanted a salad. Then a Calzone. Not cooked right. Two friends came up, joined her. I asked her if she saw the line behind her. She told me to mind my own business. I told her pals line jumped. My husband told me that if I said another word, he was going to leave me standing on the dock at the next port.

So. I just roll my eyes. They will be punished later in life for being so self centered. Bad Karmas for them. JUST SEPERATE THE SALAD BARS FROM THE MAIN LINE CARNIVAL.

PLEASE. That takes the folks willing to debate for five minutes whether to get the romaine or the iceberg...................two slices of cucumber or three. PLEASE.

AND Set up a KIDS BUFFET like NCL does. With things they like. burgers. tenders. fries.

mac and cheese small salads slaw small corn on the cob....brownies. cookies.hot dogs.

when no one was looking, I snuck over there myself a few times. The cookies. Really good.

You are so right. 99% of the people who go through those buffet lines, be they white, black, Asian, Male, Female, transgender, straight, gay, bi....are perfectly mannered. Nice and considerate.

The ONE percent. I stood behind a woman with a child in the line to get a burger by the pool. Child wanted Burger King. Discussion was long and stupid. Held up at least a dozen people. I asked her if she was from NYC and then felt ashamed. The people I meet on cruses from NYC are actually almost always very nice.

THEN a woman in the pizza line. Wanted a salad. Then a Calzone. Not cooked right. Two friends came up, joined her. I asked her if she saw the line behind her. She told me to mind my own business. I told her pals line jumped. My husband told me that if I said another word, he was going to leave me standing on the dock at the next port.

So. I just roll my eyes. They will be punished later in life for being so self centered. Bad Karmas for them. JUST SEPERATE THE SALAD BARS FROM THE MAIN LINE CARNIVAL.

PLEASE. That takes the folks willing to debate for five minutes whether to get the romaine or the iceberg...................two slices of cucumber or three. PLEASE.

AND Set up a KIDS BUFFET like NCL does. With things they like. burgers. tenders. fries.

mac and cheese small salads slaw small corn on the cob....brownies. cookies.hot dogs.

when no one was looking, I snuck over there myself a few times. The cookies. Really good.

This happened at dinner time? :confused:

The line at the Mongolian Wok (if your ship has one) can get backed up during peak lunch times. That's because it takes a few minutes for a person to select what they want and then wait for it to be cooked. Also, the line at the Omelet station can be a little slow, but it's not a really long wait, maybe 10 - 15 minutes (at most) during peak times. I've never seen long lines at the buffet during dinner time.

I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. With the addition of the Funship 2.0 "enhancements," chicken fingers have been removed from the grill.

Edited by Disconnections

I don't think you will have any problem. I took my special needs daughter last year and was worried about so many things and the crew and staff were wonderful. She can't wait to go on another one. As for the food during busy times there will always be lines and if that is to much for your son there is always room service option. Best of luck and enjoy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Since you have anytime, you might consider giving it a try one night to see how he does. Just get there as soon as it opens.

LuLu

I agree. We got right in and usually we were out in less than an hour. The food was surprisingly good and we were glad we did it. The braised lamb shank, beef stroganoff and red snapper were all very good.

I have seen it a long line at lunch. I have not seen it at dinner. I usually try to scan what they have at the buffet line as not to take to long. I feel like I sometimes hold up the line and I hate that feeling. I know people want to eat and not wait on me. But if I had a hard time I would tell someone to go ahead of me.

most of the ships have so many choices, if I find a long line at one buffet I keep moving to the next.

I can't remember ever waiting in a line for more than 5 min. or so, except for the deli, pizza or egg station at breakfast. That's why I rarely get an omelet or plain fried eggs. Just way too many other choices to stand in line waiting.

I find it harder to find a good table than good food. Find the table first then get the food.

have a great cruise

Ian