Bay of Biscay, Northern Spain and Portugal Question

JVNYC

Good day everyone. I am considering the Marina cruise next year Sept 2-14 from Amsterdam to Barcelona. I've never sailed this part of Europe....around the Bay of Biscay, northern Spain, Portugal, etc.

Has anyone sailed this part of Europe in September? What has your experience been with the weather? Any rain? I've heard the seas can be rough.

My feeling is that if there is a great risk of missing ports b/c of seas and weather, I'd rather spend the money on a safer itinerary.

Any port reviews? I don't know much about Pont-Aven and La Rochelle.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks LHT28. Luckily, I don't suffer from motion sickness, so the rough seas aren't an issue for me. I would hate to miss ports b/c of the rough seas however.

Good day everyone. I am considering the Marina cruise next year Sept 2-14 from Amsterdam to Barcelona. I've never sailed this part of Europe....around the Bay of Biscay, northern Spain, Portugal, etc.

Has anyone sailed this part of Europe in September? What has your experience been with the weather? Any rain? I've heard the seas can be rough.

My feeling is that if there is a great risk of missing ports b/c of seas and weather, I'd rather spend the money on a safer itinerary.

Any port reviews? I don't know much about Pont-Aven and La Rochelle.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

We did Barcelona to Copenhagen on a 16 day in June 2012. The Bay of Biscay and the North Sea was like glass but we got lucky. The only port we missed was Saint Jean de Luz due to swells and it is a tender port. There was some light rain at La Rochelle but it stopped and we ate out at the cafes for lunch. There was also a light drizzle at St Malo. The coast of France was lovely. We also stopped in Bilbao and took a bus up to San Sebastian. Whereas the sun wasn't out all the time on the French coast it never rained heavily. We had beautiful sunny and warm weather in Copenhagen and the cab driver said we got lucky. The coast is tricky with weather depending on the time of year but it was a great trip. Spain and Portugal ports were all sunny and warm in June when we were there. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

We did Barcelona to Copenhagen on a 16 day in June 2012. The Bay of Biscay and the North Sea was like glass but we got lucky. The only port we missed was Saint Jean de Luz due to swells and it is a tender port. There was some light rain at La Rochelle but it stopped and we ate out at the cafes for lunch. There was also a light drizzle at St Malo. The coast of France was lovely. We also stopped in Bilbao and took a bus up to San Sebastian. Whereas the sun wasn't out all the time on the French coast it never rained heavily. We had beautiful sunny and warm weather in Copenhagen and the cab driver said we got lucky. The coast is tricky with weather depending on the time of year but it was a great trip. Spain and Portugal ports were all sunny and warm in June when we were there. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

300px-Bay_of_Biscay_map.png

I agree with Terrier. Those who avoid the Bay of Biscay, do so because the long, slow swells that are natural and particular to that part of the Ocean seem to make a small segment of the population feel more nauseous than "typical" rough weather. Otherwise, their climate is very Mediterranean and you won't be any more prone to missing a tender port in the north of France than the south of France. :D

We did a b2b, that included your itinerary, in September. Mr Wonderful does not do well in high seas and he had no instances of seasickness, but as others point out, you just take your chances.

We missed no ports and the weather was not hot and was wonderful, but then again, it is often just luck every time you travel. (most ports were not crowded because the tourists had gone home!)

That said, it was a terrific itinerary and we loved Portugal and Spain so much that we then signed up for a land tour (yes, the hated bus trip!) the next year.

Go for it and have a great cruise!

absolutely go for it. It is a lovely itinerary! Just seeing the building facades of very, very old tile in Lisbon is worth the trip!

Walk the waterfront of La Rochelle and see the towers and make sure you have some sort of camera with you at Pont Aven!

Have a great trip!

absolutely go for it. It is a lovely itinerary! Just seeing the building facades of very, very old tile in Lisbon is worth the trip!

Walk the waterfront of La Rochelle and see the towers and make sure you have some sort of camera with you at Pont Aven!

Have a great trip!

And don't forget the moules et frites in France with a bottle of white - yum.

And don't forget the moules et frites in France with a bottle of white - yum.

I second that!

We sailed Dover/Monte Carlo three years ago this September on board Regatta and it was a snap. No bad weather and all those smaller ports are a Godsend! Loved it so much we are doing the reverse this September but into S'hampton this time.

Donna