Waikiki Restaurants.

earlbird

We will be staying at the Marriott Waikiki Resort for three nights prior to our August 30th Pride of America cruise.

Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonably priced restaurants within walking distance of the Marriott - particularly for breakfast and dinner?

Our favorite is Lulus Waikiki. It is on the corner of Kalakaua and Kapahulu Avenues. Open air, great music on Friday nights. The best banana-macnut pancakes I've had. The kahlua pork nachos and a couple of mai tais are plenty for two for dinner. The view is fabulous, looking out to Kapiolani Park or Waikiki Beach across the street. No towering buildings. They do take reservations for dinner. Hope you have a chance to try it. Cherie

We really enjoyed Dukes (Hula Pie rocks!). We also had a very nice upscale dinner at La Mer to celebrate our anniversary. I would recommend both - just for very different types of ambiance!

If you want a cheap dinner one of those nights, walk back on Kuhio Ave. (behind where the International Marketplace was) to the Marukame Udon. Amazing fresh-made-on-site udon noodles in varying broths and hot/cold, with adds. My favorite is their ONTAMA BUKKAKE UDON - noodles in a nice slightly sweet sauce with a soft-boiled egg on top. I grab a few assorted tempura pieces (I love the sweet potato and pumpkin), add a drink. I always get out of there for about $9.00 for my dinner. And, I am always full!!!

It is kind of like a cafeteria - you wait in line (sometimes the line is very long), grab your tray, tell the first guy which noodle dish you want, watch them make it right there, move on to the tempuras and musubi, pay the cashier.

An easy walk from the Marriott is the Diamond Head Grill. Fresh food and bakery. Check out their website. Cherie

Oh yes. Diamond Head Market!!!!! The cream cheese scones are to DIE for! I'd take my morning walk from Hilton Hawaiian Village up to the Market (2.2 miles), grab a blueberry scone (and a banana scone for later ;) ), relax and walk back…

We went to the Wailana Coffee House for our first meal (dinner) in Waikiki and it was very reasonable and our burgers were great! Also went for breakfast both mornings. We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village so this was a nice close option for the 4 of us. It is on Ala Mona Blvd and was recommended by our driver and got good reviews on trip advisor. Also was full of locals which is a good sign.

We did hit Dukes for dinner also so I will give that a 3rd nod. Don't pass on the hula pie, it is amazing and big enough for us to share as full as we were!

Enjoy your trip!

First you might want to ask the Marriott if your rates include their free buffet breakfast. When we booked we didn't have this package but saw a promotion for less $ that included the free buffet. Saved $100 and had free food.

We also ate some meals at the resort. We had a dinner at dk Steakhouse and Sansei both were very good but not cheap. You can eat their pool bar. Next door is the Tiki Grill which isn't too pricey and it is a fun place.

Not too far is Cheeseburger in Paradise which is fairly priced. Dukes is a few blocks away and it was a great place for lunch but another not cheap.

There is so many places nearby just walk around and see which one suits you. Have fun it is a great area.

We were on Marriotts 24th floor with an amazing diamond head - Waikiki beach view. Incredible!

Teddy's Bigger Burgers (cheap, order at the counter type of place), Cheeseburger in Paradise (not just burgers, great fish, sit down restaurant), Tanaka of Tokyo (Japanese teppanyaki), Top of Waikiki (rotating restaurant, you'll see 360 degrees of Waikiki each hour, TWO happy hours ;) ), Jimmy Buffets, Cheesecake Factory, Chart House, Todai Restaurant (Japanese Buffet), Murphy's Bar and Grill (Irish Pub), Duke's, the restaurant at the Royal Hawaiian (home of the original Mai Tai), if you're military the restaurants at the Hale Koa are decent, Round Table Pizza (Hilton Hawaiian Village. The Chicken Caesar is to DIE for!), Tiki's Grill and Bar, Eggs n Things (yum!), Mac 24-7 has some AMAZING pancakes that are also HUGE, and lastly, if you have some money to burn Hy's Steak House is AMAZING but expensive (5 star).

Edited by AlohaPride

I second every restaurant on AlohaPride's list.:) Although some are a little pricey, they are all places that locals go on a Waikiki outing.

A little farther away, the Ala Moana Mall has an great food court with a good selection of food places, and lots of tables. Walk over (about two miles) to work up your appetite, bus back for $2.50.

I second every restaurant on AlohaPride's list.:) Although some are a little pricey, they are all places that locals go on a Waikiki outing.

A little farther away, the Ala Moana Mall has an great food court with a good selection of food places, and lots of tables. Walk over (about two miles) to work up your appetite, bus back for $2.50.

Oh yes! Ala Moana has an awesome food court! The top floor also has a ton of sit down restaurants - CPK, Bubba Gumps, Ruby Tuesday, Macaroni Grill, etc. ;)

Two blocks further away from town is Ward with even MORE places to eat - Dave and Busters, Bucca Di Beppo, Wahoo Fish Tacos (my favorite), The Spaghetti Factory, and a lot more. There are also a lot of little boutiques at Ward for some fun shopping.

Anyone been to the Shirokiya Beer Garden in the Ala Moana shopping center?

Read good things and we were thinking about trying it while staying pre- and post- cruise for some inexpensive beer and Asian food :p

Anyone been to the Shirokiya Beer Garden in the Ala Moana shopping center?

Read good things and we were thinking about trying it while staying pre- and post- cruise for some inexpensive beer and Asian food :p

Yep. Local favorite ;) Nothing fancy.