QM2 basic questions

CruisinPashmina

Please tell us the price and about the quality of massage services on the QM2. And what tip is expected?

How do we get from the port to Newark airport after disembarkation? Is there shuttle service, and may we book whilst on board?

Thank you, in advance, for all suggestions.

Please tell us the price and about the quality of massage services on the QM2. And what tip is expected?

How do we get from the port to Newark airport after disembarkation? Is there shuttle service, and may we book whilst on board?

Hi

You should be able to find the information about the spa on the Cunard website

You should be able to book a transfer to the airport on board through the tour office, but it is likely to be cheaper to make your own arrangements before you sail.

Here's a link to the spa's price list. https://ask.cunard.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/QM2_Spa_Prices_April14.pdf

While aboard you can book a coach transfer from the port to Newark for $50/person but if you can book it in advance it's only $35.

A very small advantage is that passengers on Cunard transfers are among the first to disembark.

Thanks for the information. I looked at the Spa "menu" and it's in line with Silversea's prices. Silversea uses Steiner which can be somewhat hit or miss, so my initial question was posed to get feedback on the quality of passengers' experiences..especially with the massages. Any thoughts?

As to buying a transfer in NY to Newark airport, I have contacted our TA and hope he'll be able to prearrange the reservation. Otherwise, we will book on board. Thanks for the heads up.

One more question: if we don't love our table for 2, must or should we tip the Maître D when we ask to be moved? We are booked in Princess..don't know if that matters a bit, but tipping is such a touchy subject!

The internet feels about like 56K dial-up to me if you go on before 8 AM or after 9 or 10 PM. Like almost everywhere the per-minute rate is pretty high if you don't buy a package but I can usually go just about a week with a 120 minute package (which for any Cunard passenger on their third or higher cruise with the line is a complimentary benefit). My wife doesn't make much use of hers so the overflow goes on that package.

120 minutes (usually includes a bonus of 10 minutes if bought on the day of embarkation) is a little over $50 if memory serves me. I think it's 75 cents per minute if you pay as you go.

I've never had connection problems from my room on QM2 but on QV I sometimes had to go to the stairwell (there was crew berthing across the passageway and their WiFi may have interfered with me receiving the guest internet as well as I should have).

Edited by Underwatr

During our May '14 voyage, I felt like the internet speed on the QM2 had improved significantly--compared to our last voyage in '12. Faster all around.

Still, I tried to use the computer during hours when usage was not so great. That always makes a different, too.

We never travel with our own devises (too much already in the suitcases). There are a number of computers available in the computer room on deck 2. Also, a Cunard employee was in the room, much of the time, who to answer questions for newbies.

My advice is to remember to log out each time you use the internet. Otherwise, your internet minutes will continue to diminish (even though you have moved on and gone to dinner : )

Have a great sailing!

We've traveled Cunard 3 times, Azamara twice, Seabourn for one very long cruise, and Celebrity once. Internet speed was pretty much the same on all lines, in other words, slow, slow, slow. Very difficult to upload photos. You Tube impossible to view. Anything requiring band width is close to impossible. We often run to internet cafes when in ports or use free wifi at the port if it is available. My understanding is that all cruise lines use the same satellite service. Maybe someday it will be modernized. One needs to relax and enjoy the cruise/crossing and not expect to be totally plugged in. Not such a bad thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent a week at Canyon Ranch about three years ago. It was VERY nice. Manicures, pedicures, and massages were all wonderful. WhenI availed myself of the services on QMII for the same things, I found the manicures and pedicures not up to expected standard. Though I didn't use hair services at the Canyon Ranch, I did on QMII - I had to go back a couple of days later as the stylist cut my hair longer on one side. I don't know how these people are hired, but I can't imagine them being hired for a land location.

With that said, I am seriously considering giving them another chance... Not for a hair cut, but massage is a definite possibility.

Lisa.

Sent from my iPad using Forums