Few questions Zuiderdam

We are sailing on Zuiderdam in July to Alaska. I've been scouring these boards and have found a lot of great info! I've done on my past cruises too and find the board to be very informative.

A few things I couldn't seem to confirm from HAL website or in other posts:

1. Are the formal nights set nights? I think I've discovered the first night is Sunday. Does anyone know when the 2nd formal night will be?

2. Tried to book a specialty restaurant for my mom's birthday, but they only allow 6 per table. We have 7. does that sound right? Max is 7?

3. We have "open dining". how difficult is it to call for a specific reservation to fit all 7 of us at the same table in the MDR? I would call the day we get on the ship, if I can. birthday is not until mid-week

4. I see that you can pre-order flowers to be delivered to someone's stateroom. but, there is only one date of delivery - the day of sailing. Is there any way to get a delivery on a specific day (i.e. the actual birthday)? Has anyone tried this? If not, I will stick with the sail away date.

5. Does HAL do any other special things on their own if they know it is a passenger's birthday?

ok, so that was more than just a few ?s....

Thanks!

When I was on the Zuiderdam a couple of weeks ago, the second formal night was the day of Glacier bay.

For the dining room, you can only reserve 2 days in advance. They don't allow more than that, except for the specialty restaurants which you can book in advance.

thank you!

When I was on the Zuiderdam a couple of weeks ago, the second formal night was the day of Glacier bay.

For the dining room, you can only reserve 2 days in advance. They don't allow more than that, except for the specialty restaurants which you can book in advance.

I would suggest calling the 800 number to see about getting your PG reservations.

From what others have reported, you can order a wider variety of floral arrangements at the Front Desk from the on board florist. Shouldn't be a problem getting them delivered on the date you specify. However, your mother won't be allowed to take any flowers off the ship. You may want to consider having them delivered earlier so she can enjoy them longer.

Getting a MDR table to accomodate your entire party shouldn't be an issue. There are tables that will easily seat 8, possibly even some as large as 10.

We've seen some very large parties in the Pinnacle, not just on the Zuiderdam, but on every ship. The 6 person thing is probably just an online system limit.

Personally I would stop by the front desk on embarkation day and order the flowers to be delivered that day. That way your mother can enjoy the flowers all week and not just a couple of days.

Talk to the Pinnacle manager to arrange for a cake to be delivered to the table for your mother's birthday -- it is small and will not feed 7 people. The staff will not be able to sing Happy Birthday in the Pinnacle like they do in the main dining room.

Some people have reported that they have gotten birthday and anniversary cards signed by the captain - we have never gotten anything like that.

For Open Seating you can make reservations for 3 days at a time only for certain times: 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9 PM.

We are sailing on Zuiderdam in July to Alaska. I've been scouring these boards and have found a lot of great info! I've done on my past cruises too and find the board to be very informative.

A few things I couldn't seem to confirm from HAL website or in other posts:

1. Are the formal nights set nights? I think I've discovered the first night is Sunday. Does anyone know when the 2nd formal night will be?

2. Tried to book a specialty restaurant for my mom's birthday, but they only allow 6 per table. We have 7. does that sound right? Max is 7?

3. We have "open dining". how difficult is it to call for a specific reservation to fit all 7 of us at the same table in the MDR? I would call the day we get on the ship, if I can. birthday is not until mid-week

4. I see that you can pre-order flowers to be delivered to someone's stateroom. but, there is only one date of delivery - the day of sailing. Is there any way to get a delivery on a specific day (i.e. the actual birthday)? Has anyone tried this? If not, I will stick with the sail away date.

5. Does HAL do any other special things on their own if they know it is a passenger's birthday?

ok, so that was more than just a few ?s....

Thanks!

Dear Patty cruiser

I was not on the Zuiderdam but the Westerdam, Seattle to Seattle 7 day explorer last Aug

1. Our formal nights were Sunday and Thurs.

2. Do not see why your party can not book a table for 8 in the main

dinning room but maybe the Pinnical just does not have table for 8.

3. We were able to book the same table for two for the entire cruise, just asked for it on the frist day.

Can't help you with questions 4 and 5.

Hope you and your family have a blessed trip, our was so wonderful thanks to HAL. Enjoy