Embarkation times at Canada Place

Hi:

I'm hoping someone will have info for me because when I call the Port Authority, I get different information.

One person said the porters aren't even there until 1 p.m. which I thought was odd.

Others say they start processing people at 11 a.m. through security and immigration, then you go through cruiseline check-in.

Our bus is scheduled to drop my group of 45 off at 11 a.m. on June 27 for the Zaandam. From what I can tell from Canada Place Terminal, there's only one other ship departing that day.

I don't want my group to have a two hour wait if they really don't start accepting passengers until 1 p.m.

Anyone have recent experience? Are people able to get onboard by noonish?

Thanks so much!

Hi:

I'm hoping someone will have info for me because when I call the Port Authority, I get different information.

One person said the porters aren't even there until 1 p.m. which I thought was odd.

Others say they start processing people at 11 a.m. through security and immigration, then you go through cruiseline check-in.

Our bus is scheduled to drop my group of 45 off at 11 a.m. on June 27 for the Zaandam. From what I can tell from Canada Place Terminal, there's only one other ship departing that day.

I don't want my group to have a two hour wait if they really don't start accepting passengers until 1 p.m.

Anyone have recent experience? Are people able to get onboard by noonish?

Thanks so much!

I would say you'll be okay by arriving around 11am. There will be porters there to take your luggage. As for processing, my experience has been security opens about 11 - 11:15. You'll then go through customs. Depending on the ship, you may be able to check in and board right away or have a short wait. When we've left Vancouver, we usually arrive around 11am and are onboard by noon.

I'm hoping someone will have info for me because when I call the Port Authority, I get different information.... One person said the porters aren't even there until 1 p.m. which I thought was odd.

Ugh. So frustrated with Port Metro Vancouver, honestly. We were actually turned away from Ballentyne Pier when we drove in several weekends ago. We had to fight to get him to let us past the checkpoint. By then, I swear, taxis had been letting people in for two hours at the other entrance. SO upsetting!

*anyway*

Go for 11 am. There are absolutely porters there, probably starting at 10 am. There have been at every single port where we have embarked. They can't possibly check in everyone on time if they only start at 1:00.

Entrance to Ballantyne Pier and the industrial part of the port is much more restricted than in the old days.

UPDATED: if you took a moment to check the Port metro website it would have told you which entrance private vehicles were to take: Clark Drive.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/docs/default-source/ABOUT-Media/backgrounder-transportation-options-from-vancouver-cruise-terminals-for-saturday-may-17.pdf

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Nobody needs to go to Balllantyne for a while and certainly no one on this thread. Several cruises late in the season is all that is left for this pier. At least that is the plan.... for next year it will be closed.

No one is turned away at the proper entrance for private vehicle.

I believe the order remains as follows in the HALL at Canada Place.(My last experience anyhow)

1) Drop your luggage,(excluding anything you wish to carry on) with the appropriate longshoreman location outside the main hall as you get dropped off. Ask to ensure you have proper ship.

2)Security (inside hall) masses move towards x-ray machines...

3)Proceed to your cruise line check in area.

4)Immigration for USA if required on your cruise. (Alaska for sure)

5) The all important photo op and then board.

...UPDATED: if you took a moment to check the Port metro website it would have told you which entrance private vehicles were to take: Clark Drive.

We are locals and we did check, Dennis. We took Clark Drive. We arrived at 11 am and were told to come back at 12:30. They were turning everyone back.

Nobody needs to go to Balllantyne for a while and certainly no one on this thread.... No one is turned away at the proper entrance for private vehicle.

I realize this is not about Ballentyne; I was merely voicing my frustration with the Port Metro Vancouver. This should not have happened. And for whatever reason, you seem to not believe me about this. Trust me, we were turned away.

Anyway, OP - have a great cruise. :)

Being a local for all of my Alaska and local cruises I have always arrived at the port (Canada Place) between 10 and 11am and have always found porters on duty ready and waiting to take my luggage - then it was off to security followed by customs then finally the ship check in. My last Alaskan crusie there were 3 large ships all boarding the same day/time and it was handled beautifully - I was onboard in 45 minutes at approx 11:30am...

Easiest and smoothest embarkation I have ever done :):)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone - our embarkation is at Canada Place Terminal and I've had reassurances that an 11 a.m. arrival time is just fine. I have a number of seniors in my group and I'd like to have them onboard as early as possible.