Pre-Cruise Summary and Questions

brookeinmn

I thought I would put all my last minute questions here in one thread. I still have a few loose ends and questions about a few things. We are a group of 10 people. There are 4 in my party...2 adults and 2 kids.

The Plan:

July 19- Fly to YVR. Arrive @ 9PM Get a limo/SUV and the airport and stay at BW Chateau Granville. Next choice would be Blue Horizon or the Hampton Downtown.

• Should we pre-reserve a limo at the airport or just use one of the waiting ones?

• Is the BW really that bad? I read on TripAdvisor some comments from the management about upgrading windows. We will be getting in late so a good night sleep would be nice. Would love feedback on the hotel choice.

July 20- Pre-boarding shopping and board the ship.

• Is there a small grocery store near BC Liquor where we could pick up some bottled water and Mountain Dew?

July 21- At Sea

July 22- Ketchikan- We have a tour booked with Ketchikan Taxi Cab tours

July 23-Juneau- Private Boat tour booked with Harv & Marv

• Should we plan on spending some time at Mendenhall?
  • Can we just do the tram on our own? Is it near the cruise ship?

July 24-Skagway- Mini-van reserved with Avis + White Pass Railroad to/from Fraser

• The plan is to split our group of 6 into two. 2-3 people will pick up the van and drive slowly to Fraser while the other half takes the train. We will meet there and drive up to Carcross. Then on the return the other half will take the afternoon train back to Skagway. It will end up being cheaper to do this than take a similar tour and we have total control of when and where we stop.
  • Any recommendations of where to eat for lunch? Does anyone is Skagway sell boxed lunches?

July 25-Glacier Bay

July 26- At Sea

July 27- Seward- We have two nights reserved here. We will use today to explore town, go to sea life center, maybe a dog mushing ride for the boys

• We have just 1 car reserved in Seward for 8 people... Can we use a cab to get around town or should we book another car?
  • Any recommendations on a dog sled tour here?
  • Favorite places to eat in Seward?

July 28- Seward- Kenai Fjords Cruise

• This is the last big thing I have yet to book. A few people in our party get seasick easily. Should they skip this altogether or attempt just the Bay tour?
  • Will we have Glacier fatigue from having already been through glacier bay? Is the Northwestern Fjord tour worth the time?
  • Has anyone ever taken an older child on the NW Fjords cruise? Is it just too long for them?

July 29-Seward- Exit Glacier, hiking, Train to Anchorage. Stay at Embassy Suites

July 30- Fly Home

That pretty well sums it up. I will add more questions to the thread as I think of them.

Edited by brookeinmn

I thought I would put all my last minute questions here in one thread. I still have a few loose ends and questions about a few things. We are a group of 10 people. There are 4 in my party...2 adults and 2 kids.

The Plan:

July 19- Fly to YVR. Arrive @ 9PM Get a limo/SUV and the airport and stay at BW Chateau Granville. Next choice would be Blue Horizon or the Hampton Downtown.

• Should we pre-reserve a limo at the airport or just use one of the waiting ones?

• Is the BW really that bad? I read on TripAdvisor some comments from the management about upgrading windows. We will be getting in late so a good night sleep would be nice. Would love feedback on the hotel choice.

July 20- Pre-boarding shopping and board the ship.

• Is there a small grocery store near BC Liquor where we could pick up some bottled water and Mountain Dew?

July 21- At Sea

July 22- Ketchikan- We have a tour booked with Ketchikan Taxi Cab tours

July 23-Juneau- Private Boat tour booked with Harv & Marv

• Should we plan on spending some time at Mendenhall?
  • Can we just do the tram on our own? Is it near the cruise ship?

July 24-Skagway- Mini-van reserved with Avis + White Pass Railroad to/from Fraser

• The plan is to split our group of 6 into two. 2-3 people will pick up the van and drive slowly to Fraser while the other half takes the train. We will meet there and drive up to Carcross. Then on the return the other half will take the afternoon train back to Skagway. It will end up being cheaper to do this than take a similar tour and we have total control of when and where we stop.
  • Any recommendations of where to eat for lunch? Does anyone is Skagway sell boxed lunches?

July 25-Glacier Bay

July 26- At Sea

July 27- Seward- We have two nights reserved here. We will use today to explore town, go to sea life center, maybe a dog mushing ride for the boys

• We have just 1 car reserved in Seward for 8 people... Can we use a cab to get around town or should we book another car?
  • Any recommendations on a dog sled tour here?
  • Favorite places to eat in Seward?

• This is the last big thing I have yet to book. A few people in our party get seasick easily. Should they skip this altogether or attempt just the Bay tour?
  • Will we have Glacier fatigue from having already been through glacier bay? Is the Northwestern Fjord tour worth the time?
  • Has anyone ever taken an older child on the NW Fjords cruise? Is it just too long for them?

July 29-Seward- Exit Glacier, hiking, Train to Anchorage. Stay at Embassy Suites

July 30- Fly Home

That pretty well sums it up. I will add more questions to the thread as I think of them.

Are YOU interested in Mendenhall, want to do some trails? etc. That would be the reason to go there. Yes the tram is right on the dock, take a look at the weather when you get there and decide then if to go up or not.

In Carcross, I highly recommend the Bakery. :)

In Seward, with your plans you absolutely do not need another car, you can either keep the car rental you have- and just make two trips, or use a cab.

Are you looking for a helicopter glacier tour, or just the dirt cart ride? I have flown with Godwins, who is a long established, well run vendor, otherwise Seaveys, has the non fly tours.

Anyone with a history of motion sickness, need a heath care consult for the best prevention advice- which is essential. there is NOTHING similar here, to Glacier Bay. it's up to YOU to determine if you want to take this tour. Northwestern glacier certain is well worth the added time, again, IF of interest to YOU? The "older child" question, also needs to be answered by you. Have you involved the child in this choice? Has this child been asked what tour interests they have?

Are YOU interested in Mendenhall, want to do some trails? etc. That would be the reason to go there. Yes the tram is right on the dock, take a look at the weather when you get there and decide then if to go up or not.

Yes, I'm interested in seeing as much as possible. I think we decided to do Mendenhall early..hopefully beat the crowds, and have Harv's ppl pick us up there.

In Carcross, I highly recommend the Bakery. :)
Thanks for that!

In Seward, with your plans you absolutely do not need another car, you can either keep the car rental you have- and just make two trips, or use a cab.
ok thank you

Are you looking for a helicopter glacier tour, or just the dirt cart ride? I have flown with Godwins, who is a long established, well run vendor, otherwise Seaveys, has the non fly tours.
Dirt is fine for this trip. I will look into seaveys.

Anyone with a history of motion sickness, need a heath care consult for the best prevention advice- which is essential. there is NOTHING similar here, to Glacier Bay. it's up to YOU to determine if you want to take this tour. Northwestern glacier certain is well worth the added time, again, IF of interest to YOU? The "older child" question, also needs to be answered by you. Have you involved the child in this choice? Has this child been asked what tour interests they have?

I want to see as much of Alaska as possible..so I would love to do the 9 hr tour. I just don't know if I can get anyone to go with me. It's not a big deal..but fun to share experiences with family. I asked my 10 yr old and he said he is interested..but that is a long trip. My 6 yr old is more of a nature buff..but I would not take him by myself on the longer trip. Both are very used to boats, but have certainly never been out on one for hours at a time.

I want to see as much of Alaska as possible..so I would love to do the 9 hr tour. I just don't know if I can get anyone to go with me. It's not a big deal..but fun to share experiences with family. I asked my 10 yr old and he said he is interested..but that is a long trip. My 6 yr old is more of a nature buff..but I would not take him by myself on the longer trip. Both are very used to boats, but have certainly never been out on one for hours at a time.

The biggest determination you need to figure out, is, the "time". There won't be any way out and no one will be happy with irritable kids. This is something that might need some "trial" runs on the time span. Probably if any doubts it should be a pass. This is too costly of a trip to waste.

We've Kenai Fjords day cruises several times, and I also believe that the longer the time on the water the better. We've always used Major Marine, and there has always been a ranger from the Kenai Fjords National Park on board. These rangers have a some special activities for kids, and each time we've been on one of these day cruises the kids who participated have ranged in age from pre-school to middle-school. The kids have always seemed very enthusiastic.

And Ray's Waterfront is one of our favorite places for dinner in Seward.

In Seward I would DEFINITELY recommend the Godwin Glacier helicopter flight and sled dog rie and puppies to love on. It's a beautiful ride plus they are wonderful with the ride, etc.

The other is a cart ride on a dirt road (unless it's been paved); there's no comparison with sled dog riding on a glacier and you may only have this time to do it!

Enjoy!

The aquarium in Seward is also AMAZING.:)[/color]

Could you please tell me more about Godwin glacier tours!!?? Do they store your luggage (there for the day and have reservations on the 6:00 pm train! How long is the dog sled tour?? I am trying to fill up the day!! We were planning on booking the 8:00 am kenai fjords tour (but now I'm super worried about getting seasick) can anyone help me decide what to do!! My husband and 20 year old daughter don't get sea sick but I sure do😫! Also, in Juneau we have a private salmon fishing (afternoon) reserved - should I not go? I will lose a lot of money but if you think I will be sick the whole time I would not go! Too late to switch salmon fishing but I haven't done Seward yet ...... It's not to late .... Help please - I think hubby wants kenai fjords!! Our cruise ship docks at 5:00 am!!! Thanks thanks thanks!

Jill

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Seaveys run both the Glacier tour (dog sledding on the glacier) as well as a cart ride in Seward....There is another outfit that also has a sled dog operation, but the Seavey's do a far better job of it....Both the cart tour and the dog sledding on the glacier tour....They are good people, well organized and they have a great story teller who does the bus commentary.....His name is Eric, and he has completed the Iditarod several times...Eric tells the best stories in Alaska...Kenai fjords has several options...The longer Northwest one that is all day does go out in open water and if you are prone to be sea sick there will be a good chance that you will be...only because of the ways the particular current runs there...The others are fine....You can also go to the Sea Life Aquarium....It is small but very nice. Exxon donated the monies for it after the Valdez oil spill as way of an apology.....Check it out. They do very worthwhile things there....

Another possibility is to have you do something else on that day. They have great knack rides that are easy if you are in half way decent shape....There is quite a bit to do there....You could take a tour and go up on the Exit glacier also while they go on their boat ride....