Anybody been to Alotau??

We have - for the inaugural P&O cruise for the Kundu Festival there. But friends who are going on Sea Princess to the WA from Brisbane have been advised that the ship will be now going to Alotau instead of Bali.

I am wondering if anybody has been to Alotau outside of the Festival period?-- it is a bit of a grubby place and they didn't have any shore tours there when we were there (not that we needed any at that time with the Festival on) and I don't believe there is much to see/do.

Barry

I have now found one P&O shore tour in Alotau. A ride on a local bus to lookout above the town and a visit to the local school -- $109 for 2 hours!!!

Sent from my LG-V500 using Forums mobile app

I have now found one P&O shore tour in Alotau. A ride on a local bus to lookout above the town and a visit to the local school -- $109 for 2 hours!!!

Sent from my LG-V500 using Forums mobile app

"Tell them their dreaming":rolleyes:

Hi

We docked in Alotau in February on An Holland America Cruise. We took a free shuttle to the marketplace. The driver and guide was friendly and actually took us above the town to get a picture of the boat. the guide helped me get a small amount of local money from the ATM and then dropped us off at the local market. I brought some fruit and than asked to take pictures and they were priceless. While walking around the crowded market, one of the ladies started yelling at a man who was behind me. He was trying to pickpocket the bulge I had in my back pocket and the local woman was trying to prevent it. The guy took off and I showed the lady what the bulge was.... A wad of clean toilet paper. We both had a good cross-cultural laugh. We then took a free shuttle to a resort about fifteen minutes outside of town. It had a very clean restaurant on the water. We sat, had a couple of beers and some fried fish. It was delicious. The resort was offering a boat tour but the water became too choppy.

Edited by Ferry Beach Kayaker

• 1 month later...
We are being diverted to Alotau on Sea Princess ( instead of Bail) this September. Does anyone know if there are any beaches within walking distance of the ship, or snorkelling? Thanks.

Hi Sunny Jim - have a look on Google Maps - Alotau appears to be in a very sheltered bay (Milne Bay - battle of Milne Bay occurred here) so there may not be any beaches as such. There are some quite good pictures on google maps as well which may help you a bit on what to expect.

• 1 year later...

Put this on the Arcadia Roll Call as they are visiting.

I thought I'd post these attachments which I hope will enhance your visit to Alotau in Papua New Guinea.

For those interested in 'Culture' then the ship organised festival tour is your best option. Try and get an early bus as when you have finished at the cultural center you should be able to ask the returning bus driver to drop you in the center of town (a good 30mins walk to the wharf) where you can visit the local supermarkets to get to see how the other half lives and the local fresh!! food market. All your senses will be tested. If it's hot then you should be able to flag down another bus to take you back to the ship.

If you'd prefer to walk then you'll pass the memorial to the Battle of Milne Bay (the first time the Japanese were turned back in WWII) and there is a small handicrafts market nearby.

If you continue to walk to the ship then you can stop off at the International/Airways Hotel for a cold PNG beer and take some pics of the ship. Don't be put off going inside the hotel with the sight of security guards at the large gated entrance. They are friendly and won't eat you.

The other ship organised tours are worthwhile if you are interested in the War in the Pacific or visiting a local school and seeing traditional cooking demonstration. Otherwise there are the usual cars/taxis/trucks etc. at the wharf gate to entice you.

As I said it's a good 30mins walk into town and if it's hot and humid it'll take longer. Pavement is the usual under-maintained footpath you'll find anywhere.

Ladies if you get the chance to buy a 'bilum' or string bag you will not be dissatisfied. Note the comments in the attached info.

I realise you only have the one stop in PNG but the attached might whet your appetite to return some day. Have a great cruise.

Cheers.

The Dos and Donts in PNG.pdf

If you have a look at the PNG forum on Trip advisor you will see a lot of useful info including a thread I posted specifically for cruise ship passengers that you will find helpful. If you are visiting Honiara in the Solomon Islands you will find a similar thread. The battlefield trip we did on the Dawn Princess in 2014 was like picking up a good book and not wanting to put It down PNG is a fascinating place to visit.

The battlefield trip we did on the Dawn Princess in 2014 was like picking up a good book and not wanting to put It down PNG is a fascinating place to visit.

Thanks ozziepost

Regarding the Battlefield trip, are you referring to PNG or Solomon Islands?

The battle field cruise we did was the 20 night trip on the Dawn Princess which included visits to a number of ports in PNG (couldn't go ashore at Rabaul due to the volcano) Honiara in the Solomon Islands, Luganville, Champagne Bay Port Vila and Noumea.

The ports in PNG were Doini Island, Alotau, Kiriwinia island, Kitava island had to be missed and a sail past of the volcano at Rabaul.

There was a historian on board and I will never forget the impromptu memorial service held at Honiara shortly before we sailed over the wreck of HMAS Canberra lost in the battle of Savo Island.

It was a simply stunning cruise.