Ice cream in downtown?

MisterBill99

Is there any really good ice cream place in the downtown shopping area? I found another thread where someone pointed out that there is Haagen Daaz and Baskin Robbins somewhere. I don't want that. I want local stuff, like coconut. I seem to recall that we bought some from a street vendor the last time we were there (and no, we did not get sick from eating it).

Thanks..

There are two small places within 1/2 block of downtown with great stuff. La Michoacan on either 1st between 10th and 15th ave or the location on Juarez between 10th and 15th - down from the church. Both have coconut but my two favorites are the coco/orange swirl or the lime sorbet!!! They also have very good waters...more like a koolaid drink made from real fruits though. The lime and the jamaica are my favs. Super cheap too!!!!

La Michoacan's ice cream is FABULOUS!!! Last time we were there I had a scoop of coconut and a scoop of tropical fruit. My hubby had a scoop of corn. Yes, I said corn ice cream. Kind of tastes like cornbread mix only a little sweeter and very creamy. Also the agua frescas are delish, as solita said.

If no one answers you here, just ask one of the local shop keepers around the Plaza when you get there for recommendations.

We asked our cab driver and after first trying to point me at Haagen Daz (I told him I wanted something local), he drove us down a couple of extra blocks when taking us downtown (maybe 6 blocks past the pier) and I ended up at a place with a Nestles sign. At first I was disappointed but then I realized they had fresh ice cream. I got a freshly made cone for $2. I am pretty sure this is the same place I got from last time. Worked for me :-).

Archived