Breakaway Shelf Size

ncklhaus

I was wondering if anyone knows the size of the shelves on the Breakaway. I am thinking of getting foldable fabric storage "cubes" to bring on our cruise. I figured I could just pack the cubes with our clothing into them, put them into our suitcases, and them take them straight out onto the shelves. The cubes come in many heights, so I would like to get the best size. Thanks in advance for any help.

If it makes any difference we will be in an M6 Mini suite with large balcony.

Been using eBags branded packing cubes for years of air travel, domestic & int'l - and, they are excellent for cruises & hotels, keeping items neat/clean/organized and quick to unpack & go. Lifetime warranties, light & take advantage of sales/discount codes and free shippping. I recommend a 3 Pc. set of L, M and S, and some extra M and Slim ones (3 pc. set) for gadgets, accessories & meds, etc. as it's great for slipping them vertically into backpack or messenger bags, etc. for day trips.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/slim-packing-cubes-3pc-set/107842?productid=10267059

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/packing-cubes-3pc-set/13032?productid=949924&rlid=DETAIL_AI

Generally speaking - the medium ones are most practical & useful on the BA (and GA) with the open shelf design; and, perfectly sized for carry-on rollers & spinners at 13" to 14" in width - compressing clothing & other items with minimal wrinkles. Rick Steves & Eagle Creek also have great ones -get them online, eBay and/or Amazon.

Or, you can head to IKEA over at Hicksville, NY and they have similar ones priced inexpensively and from FT's reporting, worked well too (limited warranty) - I last saw them upstairs by the exit/cafe to the downstairs checkout.

Nothing specific to your Q on the suite - but these "generic" BA pix will work in help visualizing the shelf size and how to use cubes, it's about 22" deep but no more than 14" or 15" in width and very tall. Here, I have my 22" MLC to the left, a med. packing cube below the Timbuk2 messenger bag.

IMG20140329_BA-IS-Closet.jpg

SDC10690.JPG

Or, you can keep the cubes in your suitcase & slip them under the bed - plenty of height (say 14" to 15" easily) i.e. soiled items to be washed instead of reading for the high shelves.

I was wondering if anyone knows the size of the shelves on the Breakaway. I am thinking of getting foldable fabric storage "cubes" to bring on our cruise. I figured I could just pack the cubes with our clothing into them, put them into our suitcases, and them take them straight out onto the shelves. The cubes come in many heights, so I would like to get the best size. Thanks in advance for any help.

If it makes any difference we will be in an M6 Mini suite with large balcony.

I am sure some folks like doing this.

But, am I the only one thinking this is way "over-thinking" packing and unpacking. We just open the bags and put stuff away.

I really, really do not want to appear difficult here, but... we are in hotels or ships at least twice a month and never thought about anything like this.

But, am I the only one thinking this is way "over-thinking" packing and unpacking. We just open the bags and put stuff away.

I really, really do not want to appear difficult here, but... we are in hotels or ships at least twice a month and never thought about anything like this.

I'm with you on this :) I've had lots of storage on all my NCL cruises and I'm an over over packer lol I like to have options :p

I can't imagine spending money on things like this either, but it's not my money. :)

I can't imagine spending money on things like this either, but it's not my money. :)

Yea.. still scratching my head.

I never really go those over the door shoe hanger things that people talk about either. But, on a recent cabin crawl, I did see that somebody in a suite had one hanging over the door full of "stuff". I almost get it, but then again, after a dozen cruises, we never had an issue with storage. And, trust me, we take way more CRAP than we need to take.

Edited by garycarla

I first used these on a two week land tour to Italy a couple of years ago. Our friends all laughed and by the end with all of our packing and unpacking they were all considering them for the future. This is a different experience as we only have to unpack one time, but after hearing there were no drawers in our inside cabin, the first thing I decided to do was pack in the cubes. AND lots of lightweight hangars from the cleaner! Also, as you empty them out, you can put the dirty stuff right back into them and it's easy to repack to disembark! I'm on the 12 nighter in January so will definitely need to organize!

I think they are great to bring on your cruise. I always do and they help me to efficiently store my George Foreman Grill and my toaster that I bring from home.

I've been using packing cubes for a lot of years, though I never though about them as a way to organize stuff on shelves!

My friend brought some folding cloth boxes on Breakaway in February. I would guess they were about 6 x 6 x 12. She used them on the second shelf of the nightstand tables, and was able to fit some into the shelves in the cabinets under the desk/tv area. If you care to pack such things, I'm sure you'll find spots for any size boxes you care to pack, though some may only go in the closet or under the bed.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I certainly do appreciate your opinions, whether you agree with my style of packing or not. :D

After cruising only on ships that had drawers (Dawn and Jewel), I was thinking that without any drawers to store our things in (Breakaway), the cubes may come in handy. When the ship gets rocking, things have a way of falling off shelves. :eek:

I have plenty of them already. My daughter has a storage unit that has 3 different sizes in them, plus over the years I have built up quite an assortment.:)

Thanks again for all of the opinions. We are all entitled to our own.

After cruising only on ships that had drawers (Dawn and Jewel), I was thinking that without any drawers to store our things in (Breakaway), the cubes may come in handy. When the ship gets rocking, things have a way of falling off shelves. :eek:

If you end up with a lot of little round odds & ends, then some way to containerize them is certainly handy! I didn't find that Breakaway rolled enough for things to fall off of shelves but if you have room in your luggage it seems like a fine idea. Personally, I carry a small bag for odds and ends (plus my EpiPen) which usually stays put on horizontal surfaces.

That Dawn definitely had its moments for rolling (and creaking cabinets :eek:). And when we were on the Jewel we hit some really rough weather. We were seriously rocking and rolling. Things were falling off shelves like crazy. Even the cans in the mini-fridge were banging around! Anything to make it peaceful and hassle-free is good with me.

I've been using packing cubes for a lot of years, though I never though about them as a way to organize stuff on shelves!

My friend brought some folding cloth boxes on Breakaway in February. I would guess they were about 6 x 6 x 12. She used them on the second shelf of the nightstand tables, and was able to fit some into the shelves in the cabinets under the desk/tv area. If you care to pack such things, I'm sure you'll find spots for any size boxes you care to pack, though some may only go in the closet or under the bed.

Thank you! That is the info I'm looking for. :)

I like some of the new suggestions of what to pack in the packing cubes! Actually, the idea of the folding cubes isn't bad, especially if I can find the real cheap ones in Target or the Dollar store. Really, a couple of drawers might have been a good idea on their part. I don't quite understand that decision!

A lot of luggage also comes with those clear heavy plasticized zipper bags for your toiletries. I've saved them from every piece of luggage I ever had. Bring them all....great for the toiletries, charging cords, suntan lotions etc. I print out quick labels on my P-Touch after I pack them so I know what's in what. Always room on those bottom bathroom shelves to stash them all....I probably pack every medicine known to man JUST IN CASE!!

One more thing...I bought a cheap pop up hamper a few years back for my dirty laundry...bear in mind I am not flying but live in a NYC suburb, take the train and a taxi to the port so I don't have to worry about being under 50 lbs. It lays flat at the bottom of my luggage and makes keeping the laundry together a breeze!

Edited by bragstarr
Left out the hamper

I seriously love ebags packing cubes! I have bunches in all sizes. I think they are like the Tardis because I know I can pack more when I use them than when I don't - they're bigger on the inside. ;-) I semi-unpacked, some things stayed in the ebag cubes, on the shelves, other things migrated out onto the shelves right away.

We also take a pop up hamper to catch dirty clothes. I just put it in the bottom of the wardrobe.

Always ;-)

Hunzi