Could Rhapsody really be as bad as a recent review says?

Ok. I am onboard and it is all good. Room was clean (mostly, anyway. Cabinet doors needed a wipe down but I do that anyway) ship seems in good shape. Haven't eaten yet but at least not an awful start!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I do agree with that, it was more a quick response rather than a detailed one. Some ships have had audio controls - but which I haven't seen work - where you could control whether general announcements were played in the cabin. That way, the passenger can choose what suits them.

Of course, emergency announcements override this.

True. I remember the days when you could turn up the volume control for announcements. Now, the ships that have them don't seem to have them functioning. So, if we are in the cabin for the captain's announcements we open the door. A little inconvenience. Wonder why you can't control this anymore?

Ok. I am onboard and it is all good. Room was clean (mostly, anyway. Cabinet doors needed a wipe down but I do that anyway) ship seems in good shape. Haven't eaten yet but at least not an awful start!

Good to hear, seeing we will be onboard for 34N from Aug29:)

Would be good to hear of your weeks experience.

Happy cruising.

True. I remember the days when you could turn up the volume control for announcements. Now, the ships that have them don't seem to have them functioning. So, if we are in the cabin for the captain's announcements we open the door. A little inconvenience. Wonder why you can't control this anymore?

We were on Legend earlier this year and the PA system had been disconnected in refit, I think they are doing this with all the older ships. We were told it was because so many guests had complained about the announcements. Apparently, they couldn't manage the "off" button.... The net result was that all the cabin doors were propped open every time we were waiting for announcements about when to go down to disembark at the ports. Many didn't bother to wait and there was always a crush at the exit. Next port would have repeated announcements by the ship and the cruise director about 'please don't go down until you are told the gangway is open'. And it didn't change anything... because no one could hear the announcement anyway!

What bothered us most about this was the transit through Panama Canal. The pilot talks about the canal all through the transit. He speaks to the history, the engineering, how it runs. We had an aft cabin especially for the transit and were very frustrated we couldn't hear the informative talk. It used to be piped over the PA system (that you could turn on and off!). We have suggested to the ship that an alternative system is to put these announcements on the ship's TV channel, the one with the view from the Bridge and the map. Then we as guests are firmly in control and most folks seem to have learned how to work the on/off on the TV.

They do listen to guest complaints, sometimes it's not to everyone's benefit....

Please, just bear with me here:

I was just on Rhapsody June 6-13 and I have to say she might be the most rattly, clanky, clunky ol' ship I've been on--worse than Majesty! Also, I DID notice a bad smell in certain areas.

The shows ranged anywhere from good, to bad, to downright bizarre(Pure Country was just...well, weird--& I love country music!)

Nightlife is virtually non-existent except for the 18 other people in the VCL after the Centrum dance parties end around 10-10:30pm. And sea days only offer napkin folding or trivia!

NOW, having said all that--I had a FANTASTIC time!!!! :D

Graham Seymour was great, the captain was very funny & down to Earth, and that entire crew might be THE most friendly, personable, helpful bunch I've EVER encountered!

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE every single one of them! The officers jumped right in to the dance parties, bar & wait staff became like instant BFFs, entertainers mingled & knew our names, and even Guest Services was quick to give a friendly smile or light-hearted joke. I wish I could have them on every cruise I ever go on! If RCI wants to WOW it's guests, THAT crew should be the model for all others to follow!

I hated leaving because it was like saying good-bye to dear friends!

SO, if you can look past the dents, dings, & vibrations, then a cruise on dear old Rhapsody will be just as grand as any!

NOW, having said all that--I had a FANTASTIC time!!!! :D

Graham Seymour was great, the captain was very funny & down to Earth, and that entire crew might be THE most friendly, personable, helpful bunch I've EVER encountered!

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE every single one of them! The officers jumped right in to the dance parties, bar & wait staff became like instant BFFs, entertainers mingled & knew our names, and even Guest Services was quick to give a friendly smile or light-hearted joke. I wish I could have them on every cruise I ever go on! If RCI wants to WOW it's guests, THAT crew should be the model for all others to follow!

I hated leaving because it was like saying good-bye to dear friends!

Exactly the reasons we love Rhapsody - can't wait for our upcoming 34 nights on her :D

Please, just bear with me here:

I was just on Rhapsody June 6-13 and I have to say she might be the most rattly, clanky, clunky ol' ship I've been on--

It doesn't sound like you've been on many ships... Of course she isn't going to be the same as a few year old ship, but I haven't noticed any rattles or clunks - and I've had them on other ships, older and newer.

It doesn't sound like you've been on many ships... Of course she isn't going to be the same as a few year old ship, but I haven't noticed any rattles or clunks - and I've had them on other ships, older and newer.

No, I haven't been on as many ships as some people on CC, but I have been on 5 different ships in the Royal fleet, a couple river cruise ships, and 1 of those cruise-to-nowhere gambling ships.

I said Rhapsody was the clunkiest ship I've been on, not the clunkiest of any in the whole wide world! :p

I'm happy for you that you didn't notice any rattles or clunks, but I did. Most of the Schooner Bar vibrated constantly, as did one section of MTD. There were other instances as well. I also understand that even newer ships can have rattles and clunks.

If you read further, I DID go on to say what a great time I had. I suppose I should have SPECIFICALLY said I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again!

But thank you for pointing out that my observations MUST be inaccurate, since I'm not nearly as experienced as you!:rolleyes:

Have a lovely evening!:D

Exactly the reasons we love Rhapsody - can't wait for our upcoming 34 nights on her :D

Lucky you!!!!:)

If you see Rex & Zhuihun ("June") in the Schooner, or DJ Dan, say hi for me!;)

Enjoy!!!!!