HAL Shuttle Vancouver => Seattle

richwmn

I would be interested in any comments from those who have taken this shuttle concerning wait time, travel time and comfort.

Also I know the shuttle goes to SEATAC first, then some hotels. Which hotels are included as stops and can you request other hotels?

Thanks

Rich

We used the HAL shuttle in May- was very comfortable. We got through the border very quickly considering the huge backup due to holiday traffic and one passenger had lost his passport. The bus was sealed before we left the terminal which get us through easier.

We did need to collect all of our luggage and walk it through Canada Customs (really just walked it past them) then walk to the bus. WE had a delay leaving due to passengers from the Amsterdam being late disembarking.

Cost this year was $75 per person. Takes anywhere from 3 to 4 hours depending on traffic and crossing the border. We have done this trip 3 times now and have never had to get off the bus. Just had the border patrol take our passports inside the building and bring them back.

Bus is typical bus, not that comfortable but dueable. Always glad to get off. The price is getting so high now, not sure there is any saving flying out of Seattle rather then Vancouver. Can't make flights reservations out before 3:00 pm, so most the time we can't fly out of Seattle before 5 pm. Makes for a long day.

Don't know about other stops they make after the Seattle Airport. We made a decision that we will not do this trip again, we'll just fly out of Vancouver, its just getting to expensive and to much of a hassle.

We have also used HAL's shuttle from Vancouver to Seattle.

It is about a 3 - 4 hour ride. No stops -- the bus was sealed -- went right through the border. They didn't ask to see passports since the bus was sealed.

First stop was SeaTac Airport -- we got there about 2:30. From there the bus driver asked for our hotels -- quite a few of us were taken to different hotels -- even one the bus driver had to hunt -- it seems that they pretty much will go to any hotel near the airport. We stay at the Hilton there. They have a shuttle that drives you to the airport in the morning.

Used the HAL shuttle this past May and the whole trip was easy. Everyone got off at Seatac so I don't think there were stops afterwards at any hotels. I've used Quick Shuttle before, and the only disadvantage is that it stops in downtown Seattle (which was fine when I wanted to stay in downtown Seattle!). There were no later flights back to TN, so I had to stay overnight. I caught the hotel shuttle at the airport.

At the border, you never know what the procedure will be. It's random, to keep people on their toes. The agent came on the bus and collected our passports, scanned them, and brought them back. No bags were inspected, but our driver told us to be prepared for that possibility.

Roz

I agree. Just fly out of Vancouver or cruise out of Seattle.

On a similar note, we used to take a "flyaway" bus to get to the Los Angeles airport. It became such a hassle (and not so comfortable) that we decided that there had to be a better way. We now do things like renting a car one-way to the airport.

Pay the extra money and enjoy the beginning and end of your vacation.

igraf

...]Bus is typical bus, not that comfortable but dueable. Always glad to get off. The price is getting so high now, not sure there is any saving flying out of Seattle rather then Vancouver. Can't make flights reservations out before 3:00 pm, so most the time we can't fly out of Seattle before 5 pm. Makes for a long day....We made a decision that we will not do this trip again, we'll just fly out of Vancouver, its just getting to expensive and to much of a hassle. [/color][/size]

On a similar note, we used to take a "flyaway" bus to get to the Los Angeles airport. It became such a hassle (and not so comfortable) that we decided that there had to be a better way. We now do things like renting a car one-way to the airport.

igraf

FWIW - I am asking for my sister. She has checked and the flights arriving at a reasonable hour in Atlanta leave from Seattle the day after the cruise ends. She will have about a 2 hr drive after arriving in Atlanta to get home.

Rich

igraf

We live near Seattle so the Vancouver-Seattle shuttle is a good option for us. HAL shuttle was $65 in May- Super Shuttle was about the same except that Super Shuttle requires you to unload all of your luggage and haul it through US Customs. HAL's bus was sealed so we cleared US Customs before we sailed and went directly from the ship to the bus "technically" we hadn't been in Canada- only US ports.

On another note if you board name (igraf) is similar to your name it's possible we might be very well acquainted. My email is in my signature :)

The convenience of having the bus "sealed" all depends upon the bus driver. Last year the CBP officials weren't out to the bus quick enough for our bus driver. She probably waited all of a minute, certainly no more than two minutes, before opening the bus door. The official came out seconds after she broke the seal. Yep, we and ALL of our luggage had to go inside for inspection and x-rays. :rolleyes: As long as your sister can easily handle her luggage (including lifting all of it up about waist high to go through the x-ray machine) she'll be fine - if she does have to go through the full thing. At least the machine can fit large suitcases.

This year we're sticking with the rental car. We're spending time in Seattle post cruise. We're not in a hurry in case there is a long line for cars at the border.

The convenience of having the bus "sealed" all depends upon the bus driver. Last year the CBP officials weren't out to the bus quick enough for our bus driver. She probably waited all of a minute, certainly no more than two minutes, before opening the bus door. The official came out seconds after she broke the seal. Yep, we and ALL of our luggage had to go inside for inspection and x-rays. :rolleyes: As long as your sister can easily handle her luggage (including lifting all of it up about waist high to go through the x-ray machine) she'll be fine - if she does have to go through the full thing. At least the machine can fit large suitcases.

This year we're sticking with the rental car. We're spending time in Seattle post cruise. We're not in a hurry in case there is a long line for cars at the border.

Which cruise are you on this year? We are on the last Alaska on the Zuiderdam, I am going to continue on to Fort Lauderdale.

And yes, she will be able to handle her luggage in case of a problem.

Rich

We live near Seattle so the Vancouver-Seattle shuttle is a good option for us. HAL shuttle was $65 in May- Super Shuttle was about the same except that Super Shuttle requires you to unload all of your luggage and haul it through US Customs. HAL's bus was sealed so we cleared US Customs before we sailed and went directly from the ship to the bus "technically" we hadn't been in Canada- only US ports.

On another note if you board name (igraf) is similar to your name it's possible we might be very well acquainted. My email is in my signature :)

We did the Hal transfer in May also and this is what I recieved from my TA

The transfer from the Vancouver pier to the Seattle airport is $75 per person, not $65 as I was originally told. Sorry about that! Just wanted to let you know about the slight increase in total price.

And we paid 75.00, with me complaining all the way. Our bus was also sealed, at first they said we were going to have to get off but they were so busy, we just gave them our passports. I think over the 3 times we have done this trip it has varied on whether the bus was sealed or not. Last year it wasn't but we had no problem getting across the border.

It is always tough to get a good flight from the west coast to the east coast. because of the time zone change. One either catches a very early flight or arrives late at night. Adding a 4-hour bus ride from Vancouver to Seattle makes it that much worse.

It will not be that bad driving home late at night from Atlanta as their bio-clocks will still be on west coast time. We typically encounter this when we return home from Hawaii where we end up driving home for a couple of hours around midnight.

igraf

FWIW - I am asking for my sister. She has checked and the flights arriving at a reasonable hour in Atlanta leave from Seattle the day after the cruise ends. She will have about a 2 hr drive after arriving in Atlanta to get home.

Rich

Cost this year was $75 per person. Takes anywhere from 3 to 4 hours depending on traffic and crossing the border. We have done this trip 3 times now and have never had to get off the bus. Just had the border patrol take our passports inside the building and bring them back.

Bus is typical bus, not that comfortable but dueable. Always glad to get off. The price is getting so high now, not sure there is any saving flying out of Seattle rather then Vancouver. Can't make flights reservations out before 3:00 pm, so most the time we can't fly out of Seattle before 5 pm. Makes for a long day.

Don't know about other stops they make after the Seattle Airport. We made a decision that we will not do this trip again, we'll just fly out of Vancouver, its just getting to expensive and to much of a hassle.

We were also on the bus with Frank in May, and also will not be taking this trip in the future. It sure was different when you and about 10 other CCers were with us last year, as the time passed so quickly. We however, booked many months before and were charged $65.

This year, we flew into to Vancouver and took the HAL transfer back to Seattle. Next year, we will visit Seattle for a few days prior to the cruise and take the Amtrak train to Vancouver. We did the reverse a few years ago and loved the space and amenities. We will fly back home from Vancouver.