questions for a Seattle resident

K D cruiser

We're taking our grand kids, 13 and 9 on an Alaska cruise and want to see a little of Seattle the day before. Our hotel is near SeaTac and we are thinking of taking the light link train into downtown Seattle.

We were thinking of doing the Columbia Center Sky View Observatory instead of the

Space Needle based on Trip Advisor reviews, plus my DH and I have seen the Space Needle. Any thoughts on one or the other? I think we would need to exit the light rail at Pioneer Square Station and walk to the Observatory which looks pretty close by.

We also would like to take the ferry from Pier 52 to Bainbridige Island and have lunch.

Here is my question. Is it possible or safe to attempt to walk from Pioneer Square Station to the ferry dock? Are there sidewalks? It doesn't look that far, but we're concerned about traffic and getting over/under Hwy 99. Or should we just forget about walking and take a taxi?

Thanks for any info.

99 (or the Alaskan Way viaduct) is an elevated roadway. You'll be walking downhill to the water front with sidewalks the entire way, and a lot of stairs at the end.

We're taking our grand kids, 13 and 9 on an Alaska cruise and want to see a little of Seattle the day before. Our hotel is near SeaTac and we are thinking of taking the light link train into downtown Seattle.

We were thinking of doing the Columbia Center Sky View Observatory instead of the

Space Needle based on Trip Advisor reviews, plus my DH and I have seen the Space Needle. Any thoughts on one or the other? I think we would need to exit the light rail at Pioneer Square Station and walk to the Observatory which looks pretty close by.

We also would like to take the ferry from Pier 52 to Bainbridige Island and have lunch.

Here is my question. Is it possible or safe to attempt to walk from Pioneer Square Station to the ferry dock? Are there sidewalks? It doesn't look that far, but we're concerned about traffic and getting over/under Hwy 99. Or should we just forget about walking and take a taxi?

Thanks for any info.

View decks - I'd actually recommend the Smith Tower over either the Space Needle or the Columbia Center (but if it's between those two, the Columbia Center would be my pick.)

The Smith Tower was Seattle's iconic building before the Space Needle was built, and for a long time it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi. (It was LC Smith, of Smith-Corona typewriters and guns.) It's 100 years old this year. When visiting, you ride up in attended elevators to the "Chinese Room," a stunning space filled with various Chinese antiques, gifts to Smith from various emperors or nobility. While nowhere as tall as the Columbia Center or Space Needle, it's tall enough that the views are quite good, and a bid advantage is you can walk outside on a (fenced) deck. (You can see the Space Needle framed by Second Avenue - a great photo op.) http://smithtower.com/

The Smith Tower is closer to the Pioneer Square light rail station than the Columbia Center, and if you want to walk down to the ferry terminal it's a short downhill walk (yes, on sidewalks) to the waterfront.

For the ferry trip, also consider the King County Water Taxi to West Seattle, which leaves from the same terminal as the Bainbridge ferries. The views from the water taxi are great, and when you get to West Seattle there's a level path along the waterfront leading to numerous cafes and shops at Alki Beach, with great views of the passing ferries and Olympic mountains. There's also a great little cafe right on the ferry dock, Marination Ma Kai, with cool Korean/Hawaiian/Mexican food, a nice deck, and with the same killer view. There's also a place next door where you can rent bikes (or kayaks) to explore the area, and there's also a free shuttle bus running along the waterfront connecting the water taxi dock to Alki Beach (around 1 1/2 miles). So while it's not on a ferry, you and the kids might enjoy it more as there's more to do once you get there, unlike Bainbridge which is a pleasant suburb but still a suburb.

View from water taxi dock - http://gardyloo.us/20091226_31a.JPG

View from Alki Beach - http://gardyloo.us/20140513_47H2.jpg

Edited by Gardyloo

If you're near Pioneer Park, stop by the Klondike Goldrush Mueseum ( free). There's another branch to visit in Skagway.

http://www.nps.gov/klse/index.htm

And I 2nd the water taxi to West Seattle. Great views of the city skyline. We were in W Seattle at the end of March and there were several seals sitting on the buoys in front of the pier by Salty's .... after awhile a few swam over to investiage. There are several resident bald eagles in that area so watch for them in the tallest trees... look for their white heads, like golf balls in trees. (there's a nest across the street from Saltys but probably hard to see due to foliage).

Pretty much all of the downtown streets have sidewalks and crosswalks. To make the walk to the ferry a little easier, I would first head north a block or two to Marion St and then west toward the waterfront. Starting at the corner of 1st and Marion, there is an elevated pedestrian walkway that bypasses the traffic and goes directly into the passenger terminal.

Edited by HawksFan74

The Smith Tower would be our choice too over the Space Needle or Columbia Center. The Columbia Center does have Groupon deals occasionally if you’re signed up with them for Seattle.

There’s also the Underground Tour in Pioneer Square if you have time.

• 2 weeks later...

After our ferry ride to Bainbridge Island, we would like to ride the Great Wheel. I'm hoping that the walk is not too far from Pier 52 and we can walk along the waterfront. Is this correct? I printed a map off the internet, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. It looks to be about 6 to 8 blocks from the ferry to the Great Wheel.

Thanks again for any info.