Celebrity Summit Cough

Txoko

That is what my pharmacist recommended:) He said he brings it in for frequent flyers who always seem to pick up some nasty virus on a plane. Said it would definitely help on a cruise.

I find that air travel has a much higher risk of infection due to so many people in close quarters compared to cruises. On the ship you can escape from someone that is looking or sounding ill, much harder to do on a plane.:(

Wife also had the dreaded ship cough on the Eclipse last year. That is what the Dr. called it when visited by others we met that had the same cough. It was NOT a cold, it was an irritation in the throat that made one cough and she got better after the cruise.

Cruise Cough (Google It) can be caused by the air con drying out your nasal passages and therefore making you more susceptable to pick up an infection (especially when mixing with a large number of people, many of whom may have bugs).

I had it on Eclipse last year. This time round I brought a saline nasal spray and used it twice a day. No cough. Others suggest wetting a towel and hanging up in the cabin overnight to humidify the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on the May 11 cruise and both DH and myself were sick by Tuesday.. In our group there were several of us who got the hacking cough, fever,sore throat thing. I would up with a secondary sinus infection and IM STILL HACKING.. IM actually hacking as I write this… That said, my doctor said the same thing is spreading on land.. Its not the ship that makes us sick, its the people who bring the bug on…

My time to weigh in:D I've been on about 10 cruises and I have come off less than half of those with an upper respiratory illness. I've also been to Cape Cod and came down with an URI and we drove to and from Cape Cod. What I'm getting at here is that it's not always the mode of transportation you took to get to your destination. The virus could be formulating itself days before you leave. Case in point, a couple of years ago we went on a cruise, flew in the day before, felt great. Two days into the cruise it started - laryngitis for two days, and ultimately a sinus infection - that made for a horrendous flight home. :( You can get a URI from the bad air in the planes you take to your port of embarkation, the air conditioner in your hotel (if you arrive the day before), the air conditioner on the ship (great if you have a balcony as you get the fresh air, but not good if you have an inside or ocean view stateroom). Another thing that I think brings on URI's (but there is no scientific data on this only personal experience) is that I am go go go up until the day we fly out and once the relaxation starts it's like the body catches up with itself and the germs come out to play.:D Stay healthy everyone.

We just got off the Summit on Sunday too. We both feel fine, although DH was coughing on board whenever we went down the hall to our cabin on Deck 9 forward. There was a terrible musty odor as you turned the corner from the elevators to go down the starboard front hallway to our cabin 9018. There was a water leak/overflow problem wetting the rug in front of the service stairway behind the elevator. They kept sucking it up with the big blue carpet shampoo machine and using a high speed air-blower to try to keep it dry but it just made the smell worse. We reported it twice during the cruise and they sprayed something and cleaned the rug and it was better for a day. The musty/moldy smell was very strong as you walked past the wet area. I tried to hold my breath. We were both hoping that we did not get sick. Guest Services left us a message saying that they knew there was a wetness problem in that area and they were "looking into it." I think they really have to pull up the rug fix the leak and bleach everything! DH thought that maybe the water was coming from a cabin shower because we heard that quite a few cabins had missing tiles and cracked floors in the showers. One maintenance person told us it was from an overflowing toilet (for a whole week????)--YUCK. They probably don't want to put a cabin or a hallway of cabins out of commission while they fix.

I wonder if the OP cabin was on deck 9????

We were on the May 11 cruise and both DH and myself were sick by Tuesday.. In our group there were several of us who got the hacking cough, fever,sore throat thing. I would up with a secondary sinus infection and IM STILL HACKING.. IM actually hacking as I write this… That said, my doctor said the same thing is spreading on land.. Its not the ship that makes us sick, its the people who bring the bug on…

Agreed, but you are more likely to catch something on the cruise than if you stayed at home where you are much less likely to mix with the same amount of people in the same enclosed areas. Hence people putting it down to the ship when it really is people spreading the infections around.:D

Good morning, I was also on the May 11th cruise.

I too was one of the ones from our roll call who also brought home the souvenir cough/cold/icky/congested infection. Actually quite sick for 2 weeks.

I had it, my DH did not ever catch it, or anyone in my home since. (Not any of my work mates either, and I have been to work everyday with 400 people.)

So I chalk it up to my little souvenir.

Edited by mapleleafvoyage

Agreed, but you are more likely to catch something on the cruise than if you stayed at home where you are much less likely to mix with the same amount of people in the same enclosed areas. Hence people putting it down to the ship when it really is people spreading the infections around.:D

Exactly, I would never blame the ship anymore than I might blame my local food store when I get sick at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the Summit on Sunday too. We both feel fine, although DH was coughing on board whenever we went down the hall to our cabin on Deck 9 forward. There was a terrible musty odor as you turned the corner from the elevators to go down the starboard front hallway to our cabin 9018. There was a water leak/overflow problem wetting the rug in front of the service stairway behind the elevator. They kept sucking it up with the big blue carpet shampoo machine and using a high speed air-blower to try to keep it dry but it just made the smell worse. We reported it twice during the cruise and they sprayed something and cleaned the rug and it was better for a day. The musty/moldy smell was very strong as you walked past the wet area. I tried to hold my breath. We were both hoping that we did not get sick. Guest Services left us a message saying that they knew there was a wetness problem in that area and they were "looking into it." I think they really have to pull up the rug fix the leak and bleach everything! DH thought that maybe the water was coming from a cabin shower because we heard that quite a few cabins had missing tiles and cracked floors in the showers. One maintenance person told us it was from an overflowing toilet (for a whole week????)--YUCK. They probably don't want to put a cabin or a hallway of cabins out of commission while they fix.

I wonder if the OP cabin was on deck 9????

We were on Summit May 25 - June 1, we had booked an inside guarantee and were originally put in a cabin on deck 9 forward. I called and had us moved to deck 7 mid-ship. So glad I did.

Even so we had a small leak in our bathroom from the shower stall and our friends on Deck 3 had shower and toilet problems all week long. I wonder if there's something systemic or just old age. You would think they would have gone over everything during the last dry dock, but I guess they were to busy adding revenue producing venues and extra staterooms.

We were on Summit May 25 - June 1, we had booked an inside guarantee and were originally put in a cabin on deck 9 forward. I called and had us moved to deck 7 mid-ship. So glad I did.

Even so we had a small leak in our bathroom from the shower stall and our friends on Deck 3 had shower and toilet problems all week long. I wonder if there's something systemic or just old age. You would think they would have gone over everything during the last dry dock, but I guess they were to busy adding revenue producing venues and extra staterooms.

Unfortunately that is what dry docks are about, major renos or refurbs and repairs. Maintenance is all supposed to occur during the saliing seasons.

Is it any wonder people get sick on cruise ships? There's thousands of people in an enclosed environment touching all the same things like handrails and elevator buttons and some of these people have less than perfect hygiene habits.

We were on the Explorer last month and there was a young lady sitting at the next table in the dining room. She was sniffling and coughing and blowing her nose through the whole meal. After they left, there was an empty box of tissues under the table and about fifteen used tissues thrown under there too. That's just disgusting. The waiter told us they actually have a team of people to clean up things like that, they don't touch it.

Then again, I can't tell you how many times I have witnessed people exiting the restroom without washing their hands. I would say the passengers are as much at fault as the cruise lines.

Is it any wonder people get sick on cruise ships? There's thousands of people in an enclosed environment touching all the same things like handrails and elevator buttons and some of these people have less than perfect hygiene habits.

We were on the Explorer last month and there was a young lady sitting at the next table in the dining room. She was sniffling and coughing and blowing her nose through the whole meal. After they left, there was an empty box of tissues under the table and about fifteen used tissues thrown under there too. That's just disgusting. The waiter told us they actually have a team of people to clean up things like that, they don't touch it.

Then again, I can't tell you how many times I have witnessed people exiting the restroom without washing their hands. I would say the passengers are as much at fault as the cruise lines.

Yes, I agree that some peoples habits make me cringe. Occasionally I will say something but most of the time I will stay quiet, not wanting a confrontation. Generally when in public, I just avoid contact with anything anyone else may have touched.:D

One physician told us it is just a combination of being in close quarters with so many folks (some of who are ill) and the drying of nasal passages (previously mentioned) which make anyone more vulnerable to getting an infection via air transmission. DW has caught several of these bugs on our various cruises (we cruise over 70 days a year) but we have had pretty good success in minimizing the problem through a couple of simple steps. First (and most important) is that we try to avoid using the ship's elevators. Being in an elevator with a person who coughs or sneezes is akin to being in a tiny gas chamber. The odds of you catching an airborne bug in an elevator is magnified many times. We also use some basic common sense in trying to avoid (without being crazy) those who are coughing or sneezing. If we happen to be seating near somebody in a bar, showroom, etc. who is hacking away...we will often just get up and move. These methods are not perfect by any means, but they seem to help minimize exposure.

Hank

One physician told us it is just a combination of being in close quarters with so many folks (some of who are ill) and the drying of nasal passages (previously mentioned) which make anyone more vulnerable to getting an infection via air transmission. DW has caught several of these bugs on our various cruises (we cruise over 70 days a year) but we have had pretty good success in minimizing the problem through a couple of simple steps. First (and most important) is that we try to avoid using the ship's elevators. Being in an elevator with a person who coughs or sneezes is akin to being in a tiny gas chamber. The odds of you catching an airborne bug in an elevator is magnified many times. We also use some basic common sense in trying to avoid (without being crazy) those who are coughing or sneezing. If we happen to be seating near somebody in a bar, showroom, etc. who is hacking away...we will often just get up and move. These methods are not perfect by any means, but they seem to help minimize exposure.

Hank

We do likewise, I will invest in a nasal spray though for the next trip.:D