Accommodation near port for cruises leaving from LA

OP's question was.The Doubletree and Crowne Plaza are the two options for staying the night before a cruise. But for a longer stay with some time for relaxation and decompression from travel, Long Beach is an option, but only the hotels by the cruise port and therefore my reference to the Queen Mary.

I am so happy that I hadn't missed something in the OP's post it was merely a case of you editorialising. Please in the future don't quote my posts as if I had erred, I find it quite annoying.

I asked some Jet Blue attendants where they stay in Long Beach as they fly out of there to AK. They have told me that a good place is the Hotel Current...in Long Beach where you could walk to the Pier....and they told me that the price is usually around $50.00/night......Have no idea if this is true...they told me yesterday when they came in to my work and have not had the time to check it out.....but you might look into it if you want something fairly (really) cheap....They said it is clean.....

General FYI on crew hotels, regardless of airline. Crew hotels are generally nicer hotels. They have been vetted by the airline (and I believe the unions). However the location can be very inconvenient; airlines often provide crew vans between the airport and hotel so the logistics and time to get to/from the hotel are not an issue. For example, in the LA area Qantas and Air France crews use hotels in Costa Mesa and Newport Beach, about 50 miles and an hour from LAX! Also the employee's out-of-pocket (if any) are pre-negotiated, so what employees pay is very different than the general public. AAA rate in August is $130-$180 at Hotel Current. If you find a place in CA for $50/night you wouldn't want to stay there ! :)

Good you provided the info, and others may have more info on crew hotels.

Yes, both hotels offer "Stay, Park and Cruise" packages. I have availed myself of the one at the DTI in the past.

Thank you! Which do you prefer? Also, is transportation provided to the port as well. We had such a great place in Vancouver and are hoping for something similar to avoid parking at the port.

Thank you! Which do you prefer? Also, is transportation provided to the port as well. We had such a great place in Vancouver and are hoping for something similar to avoid parking at the port.

Which port? Long Beach or San Pedro?

Which port? Long Beach or San Pedro?

To be honest, I'm not sure since we are just thinking about a RT Hawaii. I have not cruised out of LA as of yet but most likely it would be a Princess cruise. We did a RT out of Vancouver last summer and found a great place to stay locally the night before that offered the one night stay as well as free parking for the 2 weeks for 173-much less than the parking garage at the pier. Sorry to go on and on but we were so happy with that hotel, I wanted to have some ideas before planning a LA cruise! Safety for a vehicle is important as well as us! Thanks again for any help.

To be honest, I'm not sure since we are just thinking about a RT Hawaii. I have not cruised out of LA as of yet but most likely it would be a Princess cruise. We did a RT out of Vancouver last summer and found a great place to stay locally the night before that offered the one night stay as well as free parking for the 2 weeks for 173-much less than the parking garage at the pier. Sorry to go on and on but we were so happy with that hotel, I wanted to have some ideas before planning a LA cruise! Safety for a vehicle is important as well as us! Thanks again for any help.

Princess uses the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) for its cruises. Just about 99 per cent of the time. As do the other cruise lines, except Carnival, which uses the Port of Long Beach.

I really preferred the DTI over the CP. Although the DTI is a surface lot it is very secure. Yes, both hotels offer shuttles to and from the cruise terminal.

We have also driven over from AZ in the winter for cruises and just left our car at the "World Cruise Center" in San Pedro. At $12 per day it is not to dear and you have the advantage of your car being right there at the end of your cruise and not having to wait for a shuttle.

We have also driven over from AZ in the winter for cruises and just left our car at the "World Cruise Center" in San Pedro. At $12 per day it is not to dear and you have the advantage of your car being right there at the end of your cruise and not having to wait for a shuttle.

Thank you. That is a great price.

Has anyone ever used the Best Western Sail Hotel? They have a Cruise & Sail for $149, including free parking, full breakfast, and shuttle.

Thanks

The Best Western Golden Sails is in a nice area of Long Beach...but NOT convenient to most of the Long Beach tourist attractions or to the pier...

It is WAY on the other side of Long Beach from the Carnival Pier...and even farther from the World Cruise Center in San Pedro--so far that I would doubt any "cruise and stay" package they might offer would include transportation to San Pedro...

Which brings up an important detail: if a hotel is offering a free shuttle to the "port," make sure it's to the port you're sailing from. Most likely a Long Beach hotel will take you to the Port of LB, and a San Pedro hotel will take you to the Port of LA. If you taking a shuttle or taxi, make sure your driver knows which port you're going to.

Thanks. And parking there free? or a fee?

Well, I paid for it in the package at the DTI but I have read on this board that people have just stayed, left their cars and not paid for the parking (I am not recommending it)...you certainly would not get away with this at the CP. When I last did the math, after you had backed out the value of the parking (for 14 or 15 days), the value of the included breakfast buffet, the room was free.:)

Hello. Driving over from Phoenix the day before our California coastal cruise on the Crown Princess departing San Pedro Sat. Oct 11th. Have read lots about the Crown Plaza and Doubletree as the two places to stay the night before our cruise. However due to not leaving here in Scottsdale until some time mid afternoon on Oct 10th so not arriving in the LA area until mid evening anyway I booked the Vagabond Inn in San Pedro for the 1 night pre cruise. It was quite a bit cheaper then the Crown Plaza or Doubletree but is able to be cancelled if need be. Is it really that bad for such a short term stay or should the wife and I be able to stick it out for just the one night? Thanks in advance for all responses.

Hello. Driving over from Phoenix the day before our California coastal cruise on the Crown Princess departing San Pedro Sat. Oct 11th. Have read lots about the Crown Plaza and Doubletree as the two places to stay the night before our cruise. However due to not leaving here in Scottsdale until some time mid afternoon on Oct 10th so not arriving in the LA area until mid evening anyway I booked the Vagabond Inn in San Pedro for the 1 night pre cruise. It was quite a bit cheaper then the Crown Plaza or Doubletree but is able to be cancelled if need be. Is it really that bad for such a short term stay or should the wife and I be able to stick it out for just the one night? Thanks in advance for all responses.

We once "stuck it out" for one night precruise and learned our lesson. The "hotels" in San Pedro, other than the big names, are pretty bad. My opinion.

Edited by Pia1913

Does the Double Tree have views of where the ship docks or is this a different area? It looks like there is a marina view. Do both the CP and DT have free breakfast?

The Crowne Plaza has a Park & Sail package (if you are driving to he port)

that DOES include breakfast along with two drinks, one night's stay & 14 nights of parking

Any more comments on my Vagabond Inn post in San Pedro for 1 night pre cruise? Thanks.

Yes, DON'T!

Use either the CP or DoubleTree, you'll be glad you did.

In November we'll be at the CP for the third time. We continue to use the CP because it is a good hotel, decent rooms, parking included etc etc

slo