Disappointed in Comedians

kat2009

being offended is totally different than being bored. some people just don't find curse words funny or entertaining in the absence of other material.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you don't find it funny and your bored then don't go. I don't care if they use curse words or not, if they do great, if they don't great. I don't see there is an absence of anything.

There was a comedian/magician, on Ecstacy (2011), that was really good.

There was a comedian, on Elation (2013), that was really really good.

I forget his name, but it was an odd name and he made fun of Alabama fans a lot (Bubba Gump teeth and yelling Roll Tide at everything).

His adult show (and my wife and I would not normally go to an adult show) was very clean.

His big advertising point is that there is no profanity, even in the adult show.

He was a big, white, guy.

JJ

We just do the family comedy. I'm far from a prude but I don't need to sit and listen to some bozo use language in front of my wife that I wouldn't. I think alcohol adds to the mix at the "adult shows" Since they're packed I guess there is a demand for that kind of entertainment.

Most of the comedians are okay, but try to make of for their "lack" of being funny with a few choice words, or insulting/making fun someone. Before I decide to grab a seat, which is usually at the late night setting, I stop by one of their sets, and stand by the back door or in the back or the room for a few minutes to see if I think they are funny, or would enjoy the show. If I'm in and out, its a no go, If I start looking for a seat, they're ok. I also have family and friends that may go to an earlier show, and I ask them how the comedian was if they don't come right out raving about the show.

Edited by sjcruiser

This is the caliper I use to measure comedy and other forms of entertainment, it is very accurate. From there, I do a quick calculation to determine the caliber of the comedy. Is it .22 caliber, or full-blown .50 caliber - ROFLMAO comedy? :

image_13305.jpg

Yeah, I know, not allowed to mention this stuff, but since this is a comedy thread I thought it might get a giggle! D

This is the caliper I use to measure comedy and other forms of entertainment, it is very accurate. From there, I do a quick calculation to determine the caliber of the comedy. Is it .22 caliber, or full-blown .50 caliber - ROFLMAO comedy? :

image_13305.jpg

Yeah, I know, not allowed to mention this stuff, but since this is a comedy thread I thought it might get a giggle! D

Thank you, that was bugging me!

We have only gone to the family friendly show. It wasn't funny. All he did was heckle the audience.

As for the adult show. We've been afraid of what we would hear. In MY mind, adult means adult subjects, not gratuitous profanity. As someone said, profanity itself is not offensive in the right context. Like George Carlin's "The 7 Words You Can't Say on Television". (or something like that!) He uses all these forbidden words, yet the set is hilarious because it is so true. Or his set on "Stuff". It might have profanity, but I don't remember because I was concentrating on the point he was getting across.

We were on Elation 0n 5/22...Mutzie was hilarious, AND does not curse...you can find some of his routines on youtube...We didnt miss one of his shows...THe other comedian"Cowboy" was so-so. We only saw one show of his, and had o real desire to see any more..too hyper, not funny enough..

Mutzie is a class act in my opinion. He's very personable, and we have become friends off the ship as well. Caroline Picard is another winner, and anytime Caroline or Mutzie are on a ship I'm on, I'll make it a point to attend any/all of their shows.

Then there are the ones who never change their shows.

We're lucky enough to live near Long Beach and have taken many 3 day cruises. We've seen one comedian so many times we can 'sing along' with his routine.

Last November we went on the Conquest, guess who's there? Lol

I'm with you. One guy on the Inspiration has been doing the same routine for years.

I agree. I can appreciate the adult subject matter however if you have to resort to dropping bombs left and right then you are covering for your lack of real humor. The other problem is that Carnival is trying to hire multipurpose comedians. In my opinion you cannot get a quality family comedian out of one who also does adult shows and vice versa. They are either good at one or the other but rarely both. I would like to see this revamped for better quality on both sides of the coin.

First off a prude I will never be and I do have the crudest sense of humor ever. There is very very little in the world that you can't find humor in. plus being a 9-1-1 dispatcher and EMT for 30 years , profanity doesn't even faze me anymore.

I agree that just using profanity instead of something actually funny to say is more boring than offensive.

I always say the funniest comedy is when it rings true with the person hearing it.

When you can say. "Oh God thats my mother he is talking about" or "Oh God remember the night that happened to me when we were in Las Vegas" It makes it so much funnier.

A few years ago a group of friends and DW and I saw a comic on a cruise (cannot remember his name ). There were 4 couples . The comic was talking all about dating , and meeting people, and hooking up and all that. Not a lot of swearing , but he was talking about dating and , one night stands, and stupid things you do when you have sex . So it was adult humor.

My one friend and his wife have dated since freshmen year in high school and have never been with anyone else ever. The rest of us dated , married , divorced, dated again many many years, many many people .

We all laughed like hell and joked about the exes we were with when such and such a thing happened . My buddy and his wife either didn't laugh or just snickered . You had to live through it to find the real humor .

Comedy like everything else is very subjective

Mutzie was so good on the regular Carnival sailings that Capital Jazz invited him to perform on our charter...he was so funny he even had Sinbad in tears laughing so hard

IMHO the best comics don't tell jokes...they spin life stories...Bill Cosby, Flip Wilson,Sinbad Bob Newhart...if you listen to their records today, they are just as funny as then...they also do not use profanity....

Carnival because of it' wide spectrum of guests might consider scouting today's comics that spin stories without using profanity rather then tell jokes...they have more then enough material to draw on in today's hectic world