Alaska Cruise - compare ships

ctcruisegirl

Has anyone been on more than one Alaskan cruise (inside passage with Glacier Bay)? We are looking to go on one next summer....would like to hear some feedback from people who have been on more than one of the three ships......The Crown Princess.....The Norwegian Pearl....The HAL ms Westerndam......which one did you prefer and why......Thanks !:)

We've cruised Alaska on the HAL Zuiderdam (sister to the Westerdam)and NCL Pearl. We prefer Holland America but both cruises were excellent. Alaska is rightfully very port intensive. So, to me, getting the itinerary you want should be your most important consideration. Have a great time in Alaska. You'll never forget it!!

We have cruised Alaska on Crown Princess (older one), Norwegian Crown (older one), HAL Ryndam (several times), HAL Statendam (several times), HAL Westerdam (several times) and HAL Amsterdam (2 times).

We enjoyed all the cruises.

Just study over how long you will be in each port on the various ships.

Princess and Holland America (HAL) are the two cruise lines I recommend for Alaska. I give a edge to HAL because of the amount of open deck space for viewing. While we have had our own balconies on a few of our Alaska cruises, we really didn't use them. Our first Alaska cruise was in 1980 and loved the beautiful scenery all around the ship. That is why the amount of open deck space is important to us. We'd rather wander around the ship enjoying all the scenery rather than just seeing what happened to be on 'our' side of the ship.

Not sure of the size of the ships, or the itinerary of each line you have mentioned, but for me HAL would be my choice.

I know the size of HAL ships suit me to a T. I like the walk-around Promenade deck on HAL. There is lots of brass and wood to let you know you are on a sailing vessel. Lots of fresh flowers everywhere. Usually little larger cabins, great bedding, and the friendliest staff afloat.

I like to start a graph chart when I start planning a cruise or land vacation. Across the top put the cruiselines/ships then the things of importance to you down the sides (size of ship, cabin type, price, ports, times in port, excursions, etc.). As you research (go to your library and check out a Frommer's, Fodor's Alaska guide) then place an "X" in the conjoining box for those items. Then as you near the end of your research, one should have more x's than the others.

For a cruise to Alaska, I don't think you can go terribly wrong with any selection. Have a great cruise, Alaska is an awesome destination!

I have been on 3 Alaska cruises on HAL. They were all great, and the ships are lovely. The only thing I don't like is the formal night. I don't want to pack for formal on my vacation. Yes, I know you can dine elsewhere, but I want to eat with my friends without going all formal. This is why I have switched to Oceania. Wonderful ships and crews without the stuffy formal.