What to do in Ft. Lauderdale in the early hour?

Trnkk

I booked a flight to Ft. Lauderdale on the same day of the cruise..the flight arrives in Ft. Lauderdale at about 6:00 am, did not think anything of it except being able to save on hotel stay pre cruise until lately that I need some place to hang around with all my luggages and carry on for at least 4 plus hours before being able to go to cruise terminal and at that early hour no places anywhere would be open except the airport, I'm not sure after I pickup the luggages there will be any stores in the luggage pickup area outside of the concourse.

Would someone please help suggest places to go, what to do..etc.? I do not know Ft. Lauderdale air port area that well at all. Thank you in advance. TR.

Edited by Trnkk

You could cab it to a hotel, tip them to watch your luggage while you have breakfast and just sit at their pool and snooze. Head to the port at 10:30.

I think the Riverside on Las Olas would be a nice choice. But you could go a little closer to the port/beach.

When are you doing this?

I booked a flight to Ft. Lauderdale on the same day of the cruise..the flight arrives in Ft. Lauderdale at about 6:00 am, did not think anything of it except being able to save on hotel stay pre cruise until lately that I need some place to hang around with all my luggages and carry on for at least 4 plus hours before being able to go to cruise terminal and at that early hour no places anywhere would be open except the airport, I'm not sure after I pickup the luggages there will be any stores in the luggage pickup area outside of the concourse.

Would someone please help suggest places to go, what to do..etc.? I do not know Ft. Lauderdale air port area that well at all. Thank you in advance. TR.

I would still get a hotel room and nap for a couple of hours.

Arriving at 6am trying to stay awake for another four hours until you could think about trying to board would be a miserable start to a cruise for me.

You could cab it to a hotel, tip them to watch your luggage while you have breakfast and just sit at their pool and snooze. Head to the port at 10:30.

I think the Riverside on Las Olas would be a nice choice. But you could go a little closer to the port/beach.

When are you doing this?

The Riverside only lets hotel guests use the pool. They serve breakfast out on the sidewalk and the pool is out back by the river and you need a key to get in so it wouldn't be possible just to walk in.

Edited by BlueHerons

The Riverside only lets hotel guests use the pool. They serve breakfast out on the sidewalk and the pool is out back by the river and you need a key to get in so it wouldn't be possible just to walk in.

I didn't remember if we needed a key when we stayed there . Thanks for clearing that up.

Since the op didn't want to spend for a hotel, just thinking of a quieter place she can relax without costing. Idea..? I know some stay at the airport.

Call a couple hotels and see if they will give you a part day rate...

The Renaissance has a nice pool, and it's near a Starbucks, a diner, a French bakery and Einstein's bagels...

August should not be too busy...you might be able to ask a manager for a half day rate....

The Hilton or Hyatt may do this, or even a hotel closer to the airport like the Springhill Suites, Hyatt Place or Hyatt House (I think they are listed as Dania..there are 2 Hyatt Place hotels...)

Just food for thought...

The Renaissance is really close to the pier and there are a Walgreens, CVS, Publix and other places if you've forgotten anything....

The Crowne Plaza is also close and may be an option....

Thanks mergr1125! I've never heard of a part day rate but it sounds like a great idea I will call around though.

You could even priceline an airport hotel for the night before and just let them know you'll be checking in at 6AM. I bet you could get something decent for $60 or less. August is low/off season for us and you can absolutely get a 1PM checkout anywhere.

The heat of August will really zap you.

Good luck!

Edited by BlueHerons

Check out Bags VIP. You pre-book on their website, pay the fee, drop your luggage with your airline, and don't see your bags until you get onboard. It's not available on all airlines or at all airports, but you can get a complete listing at their website. I spoke with them yesterday to confirm that they are able to deliver to ships. The price varies with the number of pieces of luggage you have, but it seemed pretty reasonable to me. We are stuck with an overnight flight for our November cruise because of work schedules and are going to give this a try. This won't solve the "what to do issue," but at least you won't have to lug your bags around.

http://between9and5.com/

Try that..

I agree though that trying PL or HW for the night before would be good...just CALL the hotel and tell them that you will NOT be there til 6 AM and to not give the room away.

When I worked in a hotel it was called a 'red eye' rate, essentially the room was paid for with an arrival date the day before, but the guest didn't check in until technically the next day.....So if you were to arrive at 6 AM today, your ressie would have been for LAST night.....