Juneau--rental car

lovetotraveltx

If we rent a car in Juneau can we do mendenhall glacier, salmon hatchery and gold creek salmon bake comfortably?

Good plan?

If you had a car in Juneau and 12 hours what would you not miss?? I know it's personal choice but would love prior travelers opinions/comments!

Thank you!

With 12 hrs ! You could explore Douglas Island, drive out to Auke Lake, then drive along the coast to Roads End, maybe 50 miles total!! Along the coast you visit the Shrine of St Therese, Eagle Beach, and other pull outs to watch for wildlife.

Perhaps you could buy an old Milepost from amazon. Usually under $10. It is geared towards people driving around Alaska, but there's also a section on cruising with info on the ports, sights, and scenic drives at each port. Maybe your libraray has a copy. Borrow some Alaska travel books while you're there.

There's an area map on the Juneau travel web site.

http://www.traveljuneau.com

Edited by mapleleaves

If we rent a car in Juneau can we do mendenhall glacier, salmon hatchery and gold creek salmon bake comfortably?

Good plan?

If you had a car in Juneau and 12 hours what would you not miss?? I know it's personal choice but would love prior travelers opinions/comments!

Thank you!

You will have plenty of time to see everything that is accessible by car. The previous poster has mentioned some of the highlights.

You can easily drive all the way out to the end of the road from Juneau in both directions, plus cross the bridge and drive around on Douglas Island.

Ask your rental car person for suggestions. They are always happy to provide a map and point out the highlights to see.

The nicest thing about going to Mendenhall Glacier with your own car is that you can leave all your stuff locked in the car and don't need to carry it around with you the way you do if you take the bus out there.

Also, that you can leave whenever you are ready and don't need to wait for a bus.

At the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center, if you make friends with a senior citizen with a senior pass or golden age pass, you can get in free.

If you have your own pass, bring it along because it is good for free entry to a number of other places in Alaska as well.

I had saved some recommendations that other people have posted previously and will post them below, as a way to pay it forward:

-Avis is in the Goldbelt Hotel. a couple blocks from the cruise docks.

- Mendenhall glacier. - hanging out on Steep Creek trail might get a chance to see a bear.

Pick up a copy of the trail maps and talk to the rangers, who will tell you if bears are around that day.

Whales - places you might get lucky.

- The Shrine of St. Therese- Besides the beauty and tranquility , it is also decent fishing grounds. part of an area known as "The Breadline" to fisherman (the Shrine is roughly the north end). Whales not terribly common along this stretch, but they do come through in transit to another location or to feed.

- Benjamin Island: interactive map @ http://mapcarta.com/23459936

The map should be centered on Sentinel Island. A bit to Southeast, you see a beige area where a river is emptying into ocean. That area is roughly Eagle Beach.

-farther away from city toward Echo Cove, there will be a series of pull-outs (at least there used to be.). You see three islands. small island farthest away from shore is Sentinel Island. big island is Benjamin Island and small island north of Benjamin is North Island.

a series of 3 or 4 pull outs t between the south and north of this group of islands. this isn't prime whale territory, but there have been seen on occasion around the islands there. If you see them, it will likely be at a distance,

Other suggestions:

- The Shrine of St. Therese

- DIPAC (fish hatchery) if the fish are running

- Twin Lakes Playground (if you have young children)

- Sandy Beach, Douglas (nice sandy beach good for walking and potentially good photos of the ship)

- State Museum (a lot of nice Alaskan native exhibits

- Drive (North Douglas Island and North of Juneau to Echo Cove

Other places

Mt. Roberts Tram (on a nice day)

Look up to see if you have a clear view of the top of the mountain before you buy your ticket. It is good for going up and down all day, as many times as you like.

There are some hiking trails up at the top.

Russian Orthodox church (St. Nicholas)

Bear Statue (located on Main Street between 3rd and 4th st....

Amalga Harbor, a few miles north of the Shrine of Saint Therese., i Just a mile or so off the main highway. a public boat launch. eagles everywhere and the chum salmon were jumping everywhere in the harbor.

Alaska Route 7 (Thane Rd./Egan Drive/Glacier Highway) is all of 40 miles long, but a lot of really nice places to stop along the way.

-Auke Lake. very pretty lake just off Glacier Highway. stopped at a roadside parking lot and walked around a bit, enjoying the quiet scenery and peaceful forest.

The whale watching tours leave from there, so you can drive out and meet your vendor there if you are going whale watching, without needing to drive back to town. But let your vendor know if you plan to do that and find out just where their boat will dock.

-Auke Recreation Area and Point Louisa Beach. undistinguished bit of beach, views were great -public grills and picnic shelters.

Auke Rec (gravely beach area, nice place to sit back with a cooler of beer and let the kids play and find sea shells but nothing special there)

-cross bridge over Gastineau Strait onto Douglas Island - into town of Douglas to The Island Pub. http://theislandpub.com/ The Island Pub

1102 2nd Street Douglas, AK 99824 ( 2nd st at E st -) go towards the water at fire station,

- known for fine pizza and very respectable beer list. every year they have a competition open to public to find best pizza topping recipes. put winners on their menu.

- headed north, making a brief stop on Douglas Highway - a nice pull-off that afforded great views of cruise ships docked across the channel. continueout along Douglas Highway to a boat ramp that had been recommended by folks at car rental.

fantastic views across Fritz Cove of Mendenhall Glacier, plus nice views of the surrounding islands.

- back across bridge to the Lemon Creek area of Juneau. There is the Alaskan Brewing Company. http://www.alaskanbeer.com/

not much to the public portion of the building - a small gift shop, and a room off to the side where they give a 20-minute presentation on company's history and the brewing process. You may have up to six samples of their beers (about 2 oz. pours).

Alaskan Brewing Co. 5429 Shaune Dr. Juneau, AK 99801

Tel: (907) 780-5866

How to find:

5 miles from downtown Juneau - 3 miles from the airport.

Take Egan Drive to Vanderbilt Hill Road, which becomes Glacier Highway. (There is only one direction to turn on Vanderbilt - R.)

Turn right on Anka Street (just past Wells Fargo).

Turn right on Shaune Drive (second right).

The brewery is on left at 5429 Shaune Drive.

- closest gas station to refill rental car tank - Egan Dr. and 10th Street, at Gastineau Strait Bridge.

(920 W. 10th - between Egan and F st) paid $4.35/gallon - a lot of congestion on South Franklin St in the afternoon).

- and for those last minute forgotten items there is always

Walmart - on the Glacier Highway between Juneau and Mendenhall Loop

Yes, we only have 100 miles of road total. 12 hours will give you plenty of time to see many sights.

Just to add to the previous comments is that Auke Bay is the last gas/food before the End of the Road, so assure you have everything stocked up if you're going to head out. And although there's only 100 miles of road, you really can't expect to drive over 60 MPH at any time. All the roads other than Egan Expressway are well maintained but narrow by Outside standards and only 2 lanes wide with twists and rises. Once you get out of the congested areas, the greenery will be close to the roadsides and you should use caution for animals. And of course, you want to be able to stop and take in views or hike. But if you do go Out the Road, be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get back downtown. I live at Mile 20, and it takes me 30 minutes, MINIMUM to get into work by the downtown bridge. That's with me pushing tourists like you out of my way with my bumper. :D

If it's raining when you get your car, don't lose hope. We're a community of microclimates and the weather is generally worse downtown. Plus, a car means you can get out of the bad weather or ditch the layers if it gets better.

Just past the road to Mendenhall is my favorite stop, Brotherhood Meadow. You see pictures taken from this spot in so many publications! It's best when the fireweed are in bloom like in this picture I took. I had to have this picture made into a canvas for my MIL's room because she liked it so much.

P1040704_zpsc615c5e1.jpg.16769a4451ba8a79357825cc831d9758.jpg

Just past the road to Mendenhall is my favorite stop' date=' Brotherhood Meadow. You see pictures taken from this spot in so many publications! It's best when the fireweed are in bloom like in this picture I took. I had to have this picture made into a canvas for my MIL's room because she liked it so much.[/quote']

That picture is beautiful, but are those flowers in bloom in August?

That picture was taken July 28' date=' 2013. So I'm sure it would still be beautiful early August at least...

Maybe some of the Juneau locals can say how long the fireweed stays in bloom.[/quote']

The good news is that it stays in bloom through August. The old wives tales when the fireweed goes to cotton, it's 6 weeks until the snow flies.

The bad news is, I think the parking lot overlooking the meadow will be closed through the summer as the bridge is replaced; the construction equipment is staged in the parking lot. It's still possible to park at the Safeway across the bridge and walk over to the area to take photographs.

• 4 weeks later...
You will have plenty of time to see everything that is accessible by car. The previous poster has mentioned some of the highlights.

You can easily drive all the way out to the end of the road from Juneau in both directions, plus cross the bridge and drive around on Douglas Island.

Ask your rental car person for suggestions. They are always happy to provide a map and point out the highlights to see.

The nicest thing about going to Mendenhall Glacier with your own car is that you can leave all your stuff locked in the car and don't need to carry it around with you the way you do if you take the bus out there.

Also, that you can leave whenever you are ready and don't need to wait for a bus.

At the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center, if you make friends with a senior citizen with a senior pass or golden age pass, you can get in free.

If you have your own pass, bring it along because it is good for free entry to a number of other places in Alaska as well.

I had saved some recommendations that other people have posted previously and will post them below, as a way to pay it forward:

-Avis is in the Goldbelt Hotel. a couple blocks from the cruise docks.

- Mendenhall glacier. - hanging out on Steep Creek trail might get a chance to see a bear.

Pick up a copy of the trail maps and talk to the rangers, who will tell you if bears are around that day.

Whales - places you might get lucky.

- The Shrine of St. Therese- Besides the beauty and tranquility , it is also decent fishing grounds. part of an area known as "The Breadline" to fisherman (the Shrine is roughly the north end). Whales not terribly common along this stretch, but they do come through in transit to another location or to feed.

- Benjamin Island: interactive map @ http://mapcarta.com/23459936

The map should be centered on Sentinel Island. A bit to Southeast, you see a beige area where a river is emptying into ocean. That area is roughly Eagle Beach.

-farther away from city toward Echo Cove, there will be a series of pull-outs (at least there used to be.). You see three islands. small island farthest away from shore is Sentinel Island. big island is Benjamin Island and small island north of Benjamin is North Island.

a series of 3 or 4 pull outs t between the south and north of this group of islands. this isn't prime whale territory, but there have been seen on occasion around the islands there. If you see them, it will likely be at a distance,

Other suggestions:

- The Shrine of St. Therese

- DIPAC (fish hatchery) if the fish are running

- Twin Lakes Playground (if you have young children)

- Sandy Beach, Douglas (nice sandy beach good for walking and potentially good photos of the ship)

- State Museum (a lot of nice Alaskan native exhibits

- Drive (North Douglas Island and North of Juneau to Echo Cove

Other places

Mt. Roberts Tram (on a nice day)

Look up to see if you have a clear view of the top of the mountain before you buy your ticket. It is good for going up and down all day, as many times as you like.

There are some hiking trails up at the top.

Russian Orthodox church (St. Nicholas)

Bear Statue (located on Main Street between 3rd and 4th st....

Amalga Harbor, a few miles north of the Shrine of Saint Therese., i Just a mile or so off the main highway. a public boat launch. eagles everywhere and the chum salmon were jumping everywhere in the harbor.

Alaska Route 7 (Thane Rd./Egan Drive/Glacier Highway) is all of 40 miles long, but a lot of really nice places to stop along the way.

-Auke Lake. very pretty lake just off Glacier Highway. stopped at a roadside parking lot and walked around a bit, enjoying the quiet scenery and peaceful forest.

The whale watching tours leave from there, so you can drive out and meet your vendor there if you are going whale watching, without needing to drive back to town. But let your vendor know if you plan to do that and find out just where their boat will dock.

-Auke Recreation Area and Point Louisa Beach. undistinguished bit of beach, views were great -public grills and picnic shelters.

Auke Rec (gravely beach area, nice place to sit back with a cooler of beer and let the kids play and find sea shells but nothing special there)

-cross bridge over Gastineau Strait onto Douglas Island - into town of Douglas to The Island Pub. http://theislandpub.com/ The Island Pub

1102 2nd Street Douglas, AK 99824 ( 2nd st at E st -) go towards the water at fire station,

- known for fine pizza and very respectable beer list. every year they have a competition open to public to find best pizza topping recipes. put winners on their menu.

- headed north, making a brief stop on Douglas Highway - a nice pull-off that afforded great views of cruise ships docked across the channel. continueout along Douglas Highway to a boat ramp that had been recommended by folks at car rental.

fantastic views across Fritz Cove of Mendenhall Glacier, plus nice views of the surrounding islands.

- back across bridge to the Lemon Creek area of Juneau. There is the Alaskan Brewing Company. http://www.alaskanbeer.com/

not much to the public portion of the building - a small gift shop, and a room off to the side where they give a 20-minute presentation on company's history and the brewing process. You may have up to six samples of their beers (about 2 oz. pours).

Alaskan Brewing Co. 5429 Shaune Dr. Juneau, AK 99801

Tel: (907) 780-5866

How to find:

5 miles from downtown Juneau - 3 miles from the airport.

Take Egan Drive to Vanderbilt Hill Road, which becomes Glacier Highway. (There is only one direction to turn on Vanderbilt - R.)

Turn right on Anka Street (just past Wells Fargo).

Turn right on Shaune Drive (second right).

The brewery is on left at 5429 Shaune Drive.

- closest gas station to refill rental car tank - Egan Dr. and 10th Street, at Gastineau Strait Bridge.

(920 W. 10th - between Egan and F st) paid $4.35/gallon - a lot of congestion on South Franklin St in the afternoon).

- and for those last minute forgotten items there is always

Walmart - on the Glacier Highway between Juneau and Mendenhall Loop

Thank you so much for this detailed report! I will print it out for sure. We're doing a cruise in June next year. Had thought a rental car in Juneau would be a good way to do as much hiking as we want at Mendenhall. Do you think it's better to book with Avis online or call them?

Thank you so much for this detailed report! I will print it out for sure. We're doing a cruise in June next year. Had thought a rental car in Juneau would be a good way to do as much hiking as we want at Mendenhall. Do you think it's better to book with Avis online or call them?

I just booked Avis online for next June. It was cheap and easy.

What cruise are you booked on?

I just booked Avis online for next June. It was cheap and easy.

What cruise are you booked on?

Interesting. I called yesterday and the guy practically laughed at me for trying to book for next June! He said the rates weren't up yet. Guess I'll book online too!