Viking France. Bring a knapsack?

Blindeye

My wife and I are leaving next week for the Portraits of Southern France cruise.

We both like to walk, and can do 4 or 5 miles without taking a break.

Should we bring a small knapsack for water, snacks, etc?

We will definitely do some of the pre-arranged tours, but may like to strike out on our own.

On the other hand, if we don't need one, we won't bring it.

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, Viking provides bottles of water near the door whenever the ship is in port. If you can easily pack a small knapsack you may as well. It makes it easier to carry your water, camera, etc.

As far as snacks go, as you're mainly walking through quaint towns that have many cafe's and boulangerie's, sample the local food instead of packing your own snacks! ;)

I agree with Huffy. We are doing this cruise in Sept. It is going through some of the culinary wonders of the world. Why would anyone want to pack a knapsack with food? :eek:

Outside of Lyon, which is one of the greatest culinary places in the world, many of the visits are only half days and then on down the river. Grab some water as you're leaving and enjoy, with the local wine, of course, which is also some of the world's most renown!:D

We were on Viking's Portraits of Southern France in early April. I have a string backpack that I always carry. It holds a travel umbrella ( or two), my camera, and the waters that Vikung provides.

Becki

Try an Eagle Creek packable daypack. Folds into a 5×7 foldable light pouch. Opens into a small light back pack. Very light for camera, water, etc. Check it out. Online or at a Tilley store.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

We use day packs as our carry ons, they fit under the seat, so our roller can still go in the overhead. Since we typically cruise in shoulder season, we use them for our layers, umbrellas etc. when ashore . . . they also are good for our shopping excursions.

I always take a backpack with me. It allows me to carry 2 small umbrellas, some rain gear (ponchos), hats, and a simple medicine kit with aspirin, band aids, etc. I can also carry water, which Viking provides as you are leaving the boat for the tours. It is also nice to be able to put purchases that you make into it as you are walking around. It sometimes gets a little heavy, so I have upgraded over the years to a more substantial one that has better and more comfortable (padded) shoulder straps. My wife thinks I'm crazy to take it with us, but she doesn't complain when she doesn't have to carry the bags filled with purchases. :D