Booking advice for a UK customer

franandsteve

Hi all,

looking for advice on this cruise option.

17th Jan 2015 Western 7 nights on Reflection from Miami.

Cabin balcony 1A

Booking through Celebrity UK the price including pre paid tips is £1,814. =$3052

Booking through a large USA website C????.com the price would be $2,586 a difference of $466.

My question is has anyone from the UK booked this way before. And is this a good price or should I wait.

Thanks

We always book through USA now after finding out 'the hard way' booking in UK and not having the option of matching any price drops.

Just have to keep in mind the airfare is usually (not always) included with UK TA's but Celebrity's Choice Air is great and cheaper than we could find elsewhere (even do one ways!).

We've also had drinks packages, tips paid, OBC, etc etc. when booking with USA TA's.

Hope you get the cabin you want - enjoy

Lyn

What you need to beware of is the exchange rate. Currently we are hovering round a rate that has not been as good since about July 2009. There is not guarantee that this rate will hold until final payment date for a cruise in January 2015. A change in exchange rate may make the US deal nothing like as good. It is a risk that you take.

You also need to be aware that the regulations in the US and UK are different about showing all the costs up-front. You need to make sure that you are comparing like for like.

I have to disagree with Lyn Mc, price drops are honoured in the UK. That alone should not be the reason for booking with a US TA.

Edited by Project_gal

I've used US travel agents several times, but it all depends on the exchange and special offers. Sometimes the US is cheaper and sometimes not.

There is no problem paying for the whole cruise up front and taking advantage of the current exchange rate. If you change your plans, you can cancel more easily than in the UK

Hi Sue

Agree on the exchange rate.

Never had a price drop honoured in our 20 cruises with Celebrity unless it was booked by the US TA. Our UK TA's never 'managed' to get us anything, even had to cancel on three occasions and lose our deposit and then rebooked to get the better rate/offer

Have to say have never booked direct with Celebrity so that may be different. Must just be unlucky with our UK agents!!

See you in November

Regards

Lyn

Also The exchange rate is a big thing to consider as in a few months it could all be different so you need to plan...

What we do is we have a fairFx dollar pre-paid MasterCard and top it up whenever we feel the rate is good... Luckily we have had quite a decent rate for a while so have been topping up the card monthly... Not only do you get a good rate but also it's quite a good way of saving for your cruise! Then when you want just make a payment to your agent, it's a very safe system and I have used it for US trips/cruises for years!

Hi Sue

Agree on the exchange rate.

Never had a price drop honoured in our 20 cruises with Celebrity unless it was booked by the US TA. Our UK TA's never 'managed' to get us anything, even had to cancel on three occasions and lose our deposit and then rebooked to get the better rate/offer

Have to say have never booked direct with Celebrity so that may be different. Must just be unlucky with our UK agents!!

See you in November

Regards

Lyn

Lyn

I can well imagine that a UK TA may not be bothered to try to get a price drop from Celebrity on your behalf. Personally, I can see little value to using a TA in the UK. The system here is very different [in almost all cases] to that in the US in a similar way to how our estate agents are different to those in the US. There are sometimes very good offers from the very large TAs in the UK but they are probably all large group bookings with the compromises that come with them. We have always booked direct with Celebrity and know exactly where we stand with them - of course, that was before the recent changes at Celebrity in the UK. I am not sure what the future holds.

I have had a price drop from Celebrity UK (2013 Eclipse sailing)

I tried to upgrade from 2b ( only availability when I booked) to 2A available when I was due to pay.

I was told by the agent that 'those prices are for new booking only'

I explained that no 2A's were available when I booked, so she put me on hold and when she returned she had found a 1A available for £495 LESS than I had originally booked!:)

I now have 2 cruises booked, one with a TA ( who had a better deal when I booked) and one with Celebrity, who I find much easier to deal with. I tend to ring early - mid morning and have never been kept on hold.

Hi OP,

We booked with that agent for two sailings this year. The price was lower than here in the UK plus the perks were extremely good. Had no issues and would do it again if the price was lower. I read all sorts of concerns about being refused onboard or the perks not being honoured but there was no issue with the first of these cruises last month.

Yes, if the exchange rate changes the cost may rise. Im no expert but forecasts are for the exchange rate to get better with a growing economy and possible interest rate rises in the future.

As to when to book, the price may drop nearer the time but the airfare may rise. With the 123 promo in place I would book now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have got round the exchange rate issue by opening a dollar bank account with a UK bank. Very easy to do and free if you keep a minimum amount in there (from memory $2500). We top it up when the rates are good and plan to use it for our onboard costs as well to avoid any issue with conversion to £ by the ship/credit card company.

We have got round the exchange rate issue by opening a dollar bank account with a UK bank. Very easy to do and free if you keep a minimum amount in there (from memory $2500). We top it up when the rates are good and plan to use it for our onboard costs as well to avoid any issue with conversion to £ by the ship/credit card company.

kruzgal

Are you willing to share which UK bank this is, please? I am sure that it does not break Cruise Critic rules. Thanks.

We always book with a US agent, ours is the one with the american name for 'holiday'. Currently they have your cruise on with Balcony starting £617 with one of $200 OBC, Free Grats or Classic Drinks package. Obviously the 1A will be slightly higher.

kruzgal

Are you willing to share which UK bank this is, please? I am sure that it does not break Cruise Critic rules. Thanks.

We use a uk FairFX pre-paid dollar MasterCard and there's no charges regardless of amount of credit... Used it on celebrity & all over America without any problems... Plus there's an app if you have a apple device? And it updates instantly!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

kruzgal

We used Citibank, although to be fair the FairFX pre-paid dollar MasterCard also seems like a good solution. I guess the main message is that you don't have to be concerned about fluctuations in the exchange rate as there are ways to secure the rate without having to gamble.

We used Citibank, although to be fair the FairFX pre-paid dollar MasterCard also seems like a good solution. I guess the main message is that you don't have to be concerned about fluctuations in the exchange rate as there are ways to secure the rate without having to gamble.

We use a uk FairFX pre-paid dollar MasterCard and there's no charges regardless of amount of credit... Used it on celebrity & all over America without any problems... Plus there's an app if you have a apple device? And it updates instantly!

Many thanks.

I used to work for an FX company. Options I have investigated in the past actually had costs that negated using them as a solution for the level of expenditure a cruise represents. They may make sense for a larger purchase such as buying a property but not lesser expenditures such as the difference between the price of the cruise in the US and UK and/or holiday spending money.

I must admit that I just assumed that things would not change that much. I shall investigate these two suggestions.

Edited by Project_gal

Many thanks.

I used to work for an FX company. Options I have investigated in the past actually had costs that negated using them as a solution for the level of expenditure a cruise represents. They may make sense for a larger purchase such as buying a property but not lesser expenditures such as the difference between the price of the cruise in the US and UK and/or holiday spending money.

I must admit that I just assumed that things would not change that much. I shall investigate these two suggestions.

There is I think a £10 one off fee to sign up (which you can work around without paying) but other then that there are no charges at all for using it to pay for things online or in US businesses! As long as your paying in dollars? The only charge is to take money out of the cash machine...

Have a look at the website as it's very easy to set up & run, plus they normally have great rates too!

There is I think a £10 one off fee to sign up (which you can work around without paying) but other then that there are no charges at all for using it to pay for things online or in US businesses! As long as your paying in dollars? The only charge is to take money out of the cash machine...

Have a look at the website as it's very easy to set up & run, plus they normally have great rates too!

According to their website, the charges seem more complicated than that. I will take another look at some time in the future as we already have all our finances sorted out for our next two cruises and our third is already booked with Celebrity. Hopefully, one of the solutions will work for us when we need it next.

Maybe they have changed the system... I will also have a look!

I've had the card now for 5 years and only ever been charged when I used a ATM to take out cash in the states!

I top up via the app and there's no charge there... I pay my cruise agent in the states with it and no there's no charge for that... And I use it for paying my onboard spend and there's no charge for that... I've used it for many purchases in shops and restaurants in the states also and you guessed it... No charges! Plus the rate is normally one of the best around!

I guess what the website might be saying is if you use it out of the states then there will be charges but for anything dollar related Its all good! Other then ATM's as mentioned!

According to their website, the charges seem more complicated than that. I will take another look at some time in the future as we already have all our finances sorted out for our next two cruises and our third is already booked with Celebrity. Hopefully, one of the solutions will work for us when we need it next.

Just incase we are talking about different cards I have put the link to the one I use below... I have just checked and the t's & c's are the same as always been! The only charges are as follows

http://www.fairfx.com/cardselection

1 - £9.95 to get a new card (free if recommended by someone that has one, I'm more then happy to do this)

2 - $2.00 per cash withdrawal from ATM or over the counter in a USA bank!

3 - other charges apply if you use the dollar card to make any payment in another currency other than US dollars

If you use the dollar card to pay for anything in dollars online or in a store/restaurant/bar etc there is no charges whatsoever...

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, as I said I have used the card for cruises and land based holidays all over the states and never had a problem and with the app you get live updates so you know exactly where you are regarding the balance available to spend!

Reading this back it sounds like I work for the company but be assured I don't I just highly recommend the product as it's so easy & more importantly safe to use : )

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have to agree with Mr T used a Fairfx card last year in the states and was fantastic and so easy to use.

We used it ever where to pay for goods and food and no changes at all.

Will use it again and bring a small amount of cash.

This time will load card and use it to pay for cruise and being able to lock dollar rate is a great benefit.

Have to agree with Mr T used a Fairfx card last year in the states and was fantastic and so easy to use.

We used it ever where to pay for goods and food and no changes at all.

Will use it again and bring a small amount of cash.

This time will load card and use it to pay for cruise and being able to lock dollar rate is a great benefit.

Have you used the app for it... Makes it even easier to load money & keep track of your account!