Live from Silver Sea Galapagos

findacruise

Thought I would post some of my impressions as I elected to take a break this afternoon and not do an excursion. Will report each area in a separate post since the internet sometimes has a mind of its own and boots one off!

EMBARKATION: best one we have ever experienced. Checked in with group. Person at Quito with luggage marked for Silver Sea. We did not have to deal withh our luggage again until it. arrived at our cabins. Fantastic people and very organized at the airport. When we arrived in Baltra they has a awaiting area for us with juice and a couple of light snacks. And within 10 minutes the zodiacs came and transported us to the ship.. I give them an A+ In this category.

As has been reported before, the cabins are dark wood no pictures or decoration. Layout of storage could be better, as drawer spaces are limited. Our first cabin, 338, was clean but had an odd closet set up in one of the closet.

There is not room to store luggage a as the bed is on a platform. Our butler finally moved the couch and put our luggage behind it. Before that it was sitting in front of the couch. In some cabins that is not possible due to the room configuration. However, there is plenty of space to mover around.

But the cabin was very serviceable until we started. To have constant rattles and creaks that lasted all night when we were moving rough rough water. We end up moving yesterday to another a cabin that was available. Thank goodness for that. Cabin rating B.

I know this is a very subjective subject. First I will state a fact or two.. The bars do not have a number of labels that my DH and I would expect from a luxury line. Our first night I requested an Irish Whiskey - don't have it. Next I asked for Glenlivet scotch - same answer. So I settled for a Manhattan. And they made it with Jack Daniels. Not my preference, but I survived. :) Others have commented on the limited bar, so I am not alone.

Food: I need to come back to this later as I am running out of time. For now I will just say that it is a mixed bag

Joanna

The main DR serves all 3 meals and is only option for breakfast unless you do room service It is buffet style for breakfast and lunch and sit down for dinner. Breakfast is the same everyday and you can order eggs any way you want. Dinner menu has 4 entrees in the evening. Always fish and vegetarian plus a meat and usually a pasta or similar. Sometimes not cooked, and sometimes overlooked.

On 5th floor is the Grill (outside) that serves lunch with rotating menu and dinner with hot rocks cooking at your table. However, the dinner menu does not change, nor do the vegetables served with your entree. We enjoy going up for lunch. As far as bread is concerned, in both venues there are only 2 bread choices, dark or white rolls. I should consider this a positive since it eliminates calories I don't need!

Overall I'd give the food a B- as the DR, IMO is not consistent.

They have stopped making baguettes? What a shame as the bread was really fine, but as you say-calories.

As far as storage-have you found the drawers under the closets, under the beds, and the extra space in the cabinet where the life jackets are kept? That is where most of our luggage went. We simply squished the extra bedding way into the back of the shelf. But it is certainly possible that different cabins have different spaces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 5waldos
spelling and addition

Hello from Quito.

Flights to Quito were on time and comfortable. Miami to Quito is less than 4 hours flying time, so no flat bed seats, but American does use nice angled flat style seats. Service on flight was very good. Surprise, couple across the aisle are on my June 14th departure.

A & K did a good job with meeting us on arrival and the transfer to the hotel. I was a bit concerned by the number of houses we passed that had walls with barbed wire on top. Then I was told not to take any walks outside the hotel alone at night. Even told not to take large camera out during the day. Not a problem, since I had booked a private tour to the Mindo cloud forest area.

Yes, we are supposed to leave our luggage in the hall before we retire and they will transfer it to the flight and on to the ship. Big worry for me. I don't want to put a Pelican case with thousand of dollars of photo equipment out in the hall! A & K will have a representative at the hotel this evening. Hopefully, I will be back from Otavalo in time to discuss the issue.

More when I get a chance.

Liz

Sorry for the long absence. My DH and I are now in Peru and up to Machu Pichu at 6 tomorrow. Got so busy no time to post Quickly want to say that the excursions and naturalists are an A to A+ in my book and I will be back with more details on that and service either when we get back to Cusco or the USA the end f the week.

Just need to catch some sleep as things have been very hectic. Will need a vacation to recover from this one!