Car seats on buses???

peacelovemickey

In Denali, I've always seen kids in carseats on the shuttles. The Park web site outlines the requirements.

I don't recall seeing kids in carseats on the public buses in Anchorage or Juneau but then again I wasn't on the bus for several hours so I wouldn't have noticed.

If you don't get any responses, check the web sites of the bus systems you are using or call.

I wrote the blue bus company yesterday and asked about it for Juneau; haven't heard back yet. I don't recall seeing them on those buses when I was there in 2011. I've read that all buses and shuttles going into Denali require carseats.

Id be curious about the Juneau buses to Mendenhall. The buses we took to our tours didn't have car seats and my kids just sat like the rest of us in Skagway.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I just Googled it, because I don't recall ever seeing a car seat being used. Here are the Denali rules - http://www.reservedenali.com/plan/alaska-car-seat-laws.aspx

This doesn't specify what type of vehicle though! Here in California we have child restraint laws, but they are not for all types of vehicles.....

Seems odd and would sure take a long time at each bus stop to have parents install car seats! Would be funny to see!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You need to contact the vendor for their specific requirements. Their rules can be more stringent than state law requires.

Here's the Park Connection Bus whose requirements are different from Denali's:

Q: Do I need to bring a car seat for my small child?

A: Car seats are not required for children on the Park Connection Motorcoach. The State of Alaska does have a strict child car seat law for most other passenger vehicles, so keep that in mind in case some of your other tours require you to have car seat restraints.

Edited by mapleleaves

This doesn't specify what type of vehicle though!

It does by virtue of being in the section for booking shuttle bus trips. The shuttle buses have seat belts installed and the drivers have to tell you to wear them. Motorcoaches, OTOH, are not equipped with seat belts normally, and Alaska state law permits that ( http://www.carseatsak.org/Links/index.cfm?fuseaction=AlaskaLaw ).

* Sec. 2. AS 28.05.095(b) is amended to read:

(b) Except as provided in © of this section, a driver may not transport a child under the age of 16 in a motor vehicle unless the driver has provided the required safety device and properly secured each child as described in this subsection. A [iF THE] child

(1) less than one year of age or a child one year of age or older who weighs less than 20 pounds shall be properly secured in a rear-facing child safety that meets or exceeds [iS LESS THAN FOUR YEARS OF AGE, THE CHILD SHALL BE PROPERLY SECURED IN A CHILD SAFETY DEVICE MEETING THE] standards of the United States Department of Transportation and is used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions;

(2) one or more years of age but less than five years of age who weighs 20 pounds or more shall be properly secured in a child restraint device that meets or exceeds the standards of the United States Department of Transportation and is used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions;

(3) over four years of age but less than eight years of age who is less than 57 inches in height and weighs 20 or more pounds but less than 65 pounds shall be properly secured in a booster seat that is secured by a seat belt system or by another child passenger restraint system that meets or exceeds the standards of the United States Department of Transportation and is used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions;

(4) over four years of age who exceeds the height or weight requirements in (3) of this subsection shall be properly secured in a seat belt;

(5) eight years of age [FOR A CHILD SAFETY DEVICE FOR INFANTS. IF THE CHILD IS FOUR] but less than [NOT YET] 16 years of age who does not exceed the height and weight requirements in (3) of this subsection [, THE CHILD] shall be properly secured in a child safety device approved for a child of that [AGE AND] size by the United States Department of Transportation or in a safety belt, whichever is appropriate for the particular child as determined solely by the driver.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a peace officer may not stop or detain a motor vehicle to determine compliance with (a) of this section, or issue a citation for a violation of (a) of this section, unless the peace officer has probable cause to stop or detain the motor vehicle.

(f) In a prosecution under (a) of this section, the prosecution must prove that the peace officer stopping or detaining the vehicle personally observed the violation of (a) of this section before stopping or detaining the vehicle or otherwise had probable cause to stop or detain the vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd also like to know if car seats are required on buses, specifically for the blue glacier bus in Juneau...

There are no seat belts on these buses. In fact, if you go at busy time, you will be lucky to get a seat at all. We went on the blue bus 3 years ago and they crammed us in like sardines. I was lucky to grab a seat on the way out to the glacier, and my 12 year old daughter sat on my lap. My husband and 2 sons stood. On the way back, it was even more crowded, and we all stood. If you have small children and are concerned about safety on the buses, you might want to reconsider the Mendenhall shuttle buses.

If you have small children and are concerned about safety on the buses, you might want to reconsider the Mendenhall shuttle buses.

I'm not worried about her safety, wait of course I'm worried about her safety just not on these buses ;) I just want to make sure we won't be denied boarding!

Just back from RCI Alaska cruise with 17 month old grandson...and not one of the buses...cruiseline shuttles or private "bus" transportation had seatbelts...and so NO carseats.

Just back from RCI Alaska cruise with 17 month old grandson...and not one of the buses...cruiseline shuttles or private "bus" transportation had seatbelts...and so NO carseats.

Great news... What buses did you take?