Sun Princess for couple in 30's?

lizzy10

Hi! My hubby and I are in our mid 30's and looking to Cruise on the Sun Princess later this year (September, Australian cruise). I'm a little worried after having read so many reviews suggesting that the Sun Princess is tailored mostly for older / retired cruisers. We also considered P&O's Pacific Dawn but felt the Sun Princess would be nice for our first cruise especially as we are a couple celebrating an anniversary. I thought P&O Pacific Dawn would be great for younger adults and families. Not too worried about being one of the younger cruisers on the Sun Princess....just hoping that the ship caters for all ages:)

Also, looking at either a balcony or mini suite....any recommendations here?

Thanks!!:)

I find that Princess caters to all ages! I've sailed on Princess since my early 20s and now I'm in my early 30s. Where is the Sun Princess sailing? I find that the demographic sometimes depends on where the cruise is sailing and from what port. We found a nice mix of people on our last Caribbean cruise, though we were probably amongst the younger couples, we still found plenty of people to chat to and lots of stuff to do on board!

I find that Princess caters to all ages! I've sailed on Princess since my early 20s and now I'm in my early 30s. Where is the Sun Princess sailing? I find that the demographic sometimes depends on where the cruise is sailing and from what port. We found a nice mix of people on our last Caribbean cruise, though we were probably amongst the younger couples, we still found plenty of people to chat to and lots of stuff to do on board!

The OP is looking at an Australian cruise.

It's very hard to predict the age group on a cruise but generally longer cruises have more retirees.

If you are cruising towards the end of September from Australia, there may be lots of families on board as the school holidays start in some states on 20 September this year and in other states on the 27th. Schools generally have 2 weeks off during this period.

The mini suites on Sun Princess are fabulous but there is quite a step up in price from balconies.

We have never travelled on Pacific Dawn so can't help there although I believe P&O Australia does attract a younger crowd in general.

Have a great cruise whichever you choose.

My sister and I are in our late 50's and went on the Sun Princess out of Brisbane about 2 years ago. We felt like we were the youngest people on board. I love chatting to all ages but this cruise was so boring, everyone got a seat early in the morning inside because it was cold, we were cruising around NZ, and they didn't move all day. It was very hard to find anywhere to sit out of the cold. We really enjoyed the ports but I wouldn't recommend this ship to your age group.

Maybe if you go in school holidays you might find couples in there 30's - 40's with kids? Or a P&O?

Cheers

The OP is looking at an Australian cruise.

Ahh. Well, I don't have any experience with Australian cruises! Sometimes when you sail closer to holidays you will find younger people. But I usually don't book during a holiday, I just book time off at work when I like to go, so some people might be like that, too! Although I don't really go based on who I'm sailing with...we like to socialize, but I'm there more for the ports :)

It's not really a matter of the Sun class compared to other Princess ships. It's Princess compared to other lines. On Princess, there are no Flow Riders, water slides, costumed kids' characters, or zip lines - the kinds of things that are aimed at younger adults and their kids. Even most of the rock and roll aboard is thirty-plus years old. That's fine with me. Much as I love water slides, roller coasters, and cutting-edge rock, I have little desire to sail on a floating theme park. And screaming kids do not a romantic, relaxing, or "escape completely" mood set.

There's no reason for you to feel out of place, but on most Princess cruises I've sailed, "mid-30s" was "young." The exception was a recent cruise out of LA, which was a cheapish 7-dayer that seemed to attract a lot of younger locals. That might be the case in Australia - which has fewer lines to choose from - or not.

But if you want to celebrate coupledom, Princess still is (or at least can be) The Love Boat.