Shark ray alley tours?

mitsugirly

The shark did not come too close, so I don't think they fed them. I believe the guides did have a little to feed the stingrays, but we didn't get to feed them. We got to at Stingray City so I was a little disappointed. We did get to hold them (with the guides help), so that was fun.

When you say the shark did not come close, was it close enough to be able to get pictures? Because I definitely want to get a picture of us being in the water with a shark! :p

I think we had 6-8 people in our group. My husband and I were trying to remember if another couple was with us and a family of 4. I would say there was 25-30 of us total.

Hmm, 6-8 people with you...that sounds awesome and unlike a "normal" cruise ship excursion where you are jam packed in.

I'm not sure if anyone else went over to the reef. I really didn't pay attention. It may just depend on the guide.

As far as how much time is spent at Caye Caulker, it depends on lunch. You order on the way over and they turn it in to the restaurant when you stop for a potty break. We were the last ones to get our food and almost the last to finish so we had less time than others. I would say 45 minutes to an hour.

This sounds just like the do at Grand Cayman (well sorta, you order after swimming with the rays and on the way over to the island). Sounds like they have a good thing going.

Do you have any suggestions as to what to do while at Caye Caulker? Where to go and all? I know nothing about the place.

We fed the tarpon from the boat. I think it was 10-15 minutes from Caulker, but don't exactly remember.

I really hope we get to do this. I will make sure that I ask the guide about it when we are there if it's not mentioned. (I'll let them know I will write the best review ever if they take us. :D

Just a little background for you. I know by reading most of your reviews that you usually book on your own instead of with the ship. We've been on 5 cruises and have always booked ship excursions. You've heard of Murphy's law? Well, Murphy has been a family friend for years, so I'd rather not chance it. Lol! Maybe one of these days I'll be brave and do one on my own, but maybe not. We have not had a bad excursion yet. I know that the ship excursions cost more and can be more crowded, but we've never had a problem.

I've done a few with the ship and it has always turned out good for us (Bannister Island Belize, Maya Key Roatan, Sail and snorkel in Nassau, Playa Mia in Cozumel. So I can say we haven't really had a bad excursion either. I just don't like the fact that they charge so much. But, sometimes it's worth it in places like this. :)

The shark did not come too close, so I don't think they fed them. I believe the guides did have a little to feed the stingrays, but we didn't get to feed them. We got to at Stingray City so I was a little disappointed. We did get to hold them (with the guides help), so that was fun.

I think we had 6-8 people in our group. My husband and I were trying to remember if another couple was with us and a family of 4. I would say there was 25-30 of us total.

I'm not sure if anyone else went over to the reef. I really didn't pay attention. It may just depend on the guide.

As far as how much time is spent at Caye Caulker, it depends on lunch. You order on the way over and they turn it in to the restaurant when you stop for a potty break. We were the last ones to get our food and almost the last to finish so we had less time than others. I would say 45 minutes to an hour.

We fed the tarpon from the boat. I think it was 10-15 minutes from Caulker, but don't exactly remember.

Just a little background for you. I know by reading most of your reviews that you usually book on your own instead of with the ship. We've been on 5 cruises and have always booked ship excursions. You've heard of Murphy's law? Well, Murphy has been a family friend for years, so I'd rather not chance it. Lol! Maybe one of these days I'll be brave and do one on my own, but maybe not. We have not had a bad excursion yet. I know that the ship excursions cost more and can be more crowded, but we've never had a problem.

Thanks so much for the specifics about the NCL excursion- I'm considering it as well....

Do you know which restaurant on Caye Caulker they use?

I think you are wise to do the ship tour, especially after our tour disaster with Coral Breeze...The snorkeling was good, but there was strong current when we were there, don't know if that is the norm. You can touch the nurse sharks, saw lots of rays and several large barracuda while snorkeling. I hope you have a great time..After a bunch of cruises we have switched to all inclusive resorts and are loving it...Here is a shot or two from Shark Ray Alley.

SANY2386.jpg

upload images

SANY2384.jpg

free upload

Looking at the pictures, I don't see much shade at all on that little boat. #2 do you get on and off the boat? Does not look like it would be easy to get on and off. I love dive boats with water platforms that go up and down hydraulically -- just swim up and drift onto platform -- not that I'm spoiled :rolleyes: Going with Oceania Insignia which is only 700 passengers but don't know who else will be in the area. If nobody else could be uncrowded but if a big ship in UGGGH. Anybody have information on shade and mobility on Belize City excursions. We usually take ship's tours. You pay so much for the cruise, the air fare, the pre and post cruise do you really want to take a chance on the quality of the land experience. Ships come often and thus become the steady money for guides -- get the first choice of equipment, guides etc except for a very few outfitters.

Looking at the pictures, I don't see much shade at all on that little boat. #2 do you get on and off the boat? Does not look like it would be easy to get on and off. I love dive boats with water platforms that go up and down hydraulically -- just swim up and drift onto platform -- not that I'm spoiled :rolleyes: Going with Oceania Insignia which is only 700 passengers but don't know who else will be in the area. If nobody else could be uncrowded but if a big ship in UGGGH. Anybody have information on shade and mobility on Belize City excursions. We usually take ship's tours. You pay so much for the cruise, the air fare, the pre and post cruise do you really want to take a chance on the quality of the land experience. Ships come often and thus become the steady money for guides -- get the first choice of equipment, guides etc except for a very few outfitters.

Shade and mobility depends on tour and provider, it varies. And as for quality, we always use private unless going a long distance from ship. The private providers that are recommended on this board give superb quality and we have always been pleased. They seem to try much harder because their business would suffer from a negative recommendation.

I'm going to try to remember to answer everything. I'm on my phone and can't figure out the copy thing.

Yes, you can get close enough to take a picture. I am very proud of the picture I got of the shark. I was glad it turned out because I don't think people would have believed me.

As far as what to do on Caulker, I really can't tell you. We were told if you wanted to shop go left. Don't even remember what was right. My husband wanted a shot glass, so left we went. He didn't find one he liked, but I did find a couple of NYC tees! We did see a fight which was a little scary. One of the guys was drunk, but I never figured out what was going on.

I can't remember the name of the restaurant. I'll have to look at my pics and let you know.

There was plenty of shade on our boat. It was covered except in the middle where the guides were. And, there was a ladder

The shark ray alley tour to Caulker Cay that I took a few years back consisted of leaving from the port where the tenders dropped us off to the reef fringing Caulker Cay. Spent maybe 45 minutes over some very nice coral and saw lots of fish.....this site was almost as good as the original Shark Ray Alley off San Pedro (Isla Bonita). Then we went to a sandy shallow expanse where they lured nurse sharks and rays to the boat with squid. I was standing in waist high water as they went for the bait through around and behind my legs. Maybe 1/2 hr at this site, then off to a restaurant on the isle where we had lunch, prob chicken and rice and beans. After lunch, maybe another 1/2 hr of free time to wander, shop or wade/swim in the water. Don't think anyone from my party of 8 went snorkeling from the shore. After that, back to the pier and a ride on the tender back to the ship. This was a private excursion, and could very well have been Coral Breeze.

The only bad part about this excursion was the time spent tendering to the pier to and from the ship. On earlier excursions to snorkel the original Shark Ray Alley off San Pedro, I was picked up at the ship by the excursion boat.

Since you said you were only able to see 1 shark, did they feed them to get them to come over? I have read (just like at stingray city) that guides feed the sharks to get them to come over (while others don't and you don't see many). I have seen a lot of pictures of the people getting to pet them while the guide holds them as well.

On our Coral Breeze excursion there was no shortage of sharks or rays ... or barracudas for that matter. Our guide put chum in a conch shell for the sharks and had squid pieces to feed the rays. Rays were far less 'aggressive' in Belize than in Grand Cayman. People got to touch the rays. Our guide showed my husband how to 'shark surf' aka grab the top fun and let it pull you through the water...they both have a death wish apparently. ;). The last pic is hubby's favourite...ray, shark and barracuda. He's nuts.

ImageUploadedByForums1404958456.234345.jpg.cbd49bc5993e5d78f0541ea679cc2606.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

ImageUploadedByForums1404958424.021210.jpg.b774b4404babfe43efcb3d392571cca7.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404958439.175287.jpg.671332a480f614ee6f15743659ccd80c.jpg

Edited by CDNJehn

I'm going to try to remember to answer everything. I'm on my phone and can't figure out the copy thing.

Yes, you can get close enough to take a picture. I am very proud of the picture I got of the shark. I was glad it turned out because I don't think people would have believed me.

As far as what to do on Caulker, I really can't tell you. We were told if you wanted to shop go left. Don't even remember what was right. My husband wanted a shot glass, so left we went. He didn't find one he liked, but I did find a couple of NYC tees! We did see a fight which was a little scary. One of the guys was drunk, but I never figured out what was going on.

I can't remember the name of the restaurant. I'll have to look at my pics and let you know.

There was plenty of shade on our boat. It was covered except in the middle where the guides were. And, there was a ladder

Are you able to share that picture on here? How close did it get?

Thanks for the description of everything else. I'm really looking forward to this excursion. :D

The shark ray alley tour to Caulker Cay that I took a few years back consisted of leaving from the port where the tenders dropped us off to the reef fringing Caulker Cay. Spent maybe 45 minutes over some very nice coral and saw lots of fish.....this site was almost as good as the original Shark Ray Alley off San Pedro (Isla Bonita). Then we went to a sandy shallow expanse where they lured nurse sharks and rays to the boat with squid. I was standing in waist high water as they went for the bait through around and behind my legs. Maybe 1/2 hr at this site, then off to a restaurant on the isle where we had lunch, prob chicken and rice and beans. After lunch, maybe another 1/2 hr of free time to wander, shop or wade/swim in the water. Don't think anyone from my party of 8 went snorkeling from the shore. After that, back to the pier and a ride on the tender back to the ship. This was a private excursion, and could very well have been Coral Breeze.

The only bad part about this excursion was the time spent tendering to the pier to and from the ship. On earlier excursions to snorkel the original Shark Ray Alley off San Pedro, I was picked up at the ship by the excursion boat.

Yea, that sounds just like the experience I'm hoping for, but since we are not doing a private excursion, I'm wondering if they will still feed the sharks to lure them there. :confused:

On our Coral Breeze excursion there was no shortage of sharks or rays ... or barracudas for that matter. Our guide put chum in a conch shell for the sharks and had squid pieces to feed the rays. Rays were far less 'aggressive' in Belize than in Grand Cayman. People got to touch the rays. Our guide showed my husband how to 'shark surf' aka grab the top fun and let it pull you through the water...they both have a death wish apparently. ;). The last pic is hubby's favourite...ray, shark and barracuda. He's nuts.

Thanks for the awesome photos!! Wow all 3 of them in 1 photo is amazing! (and scary at the same time). That barracuda looks huge! (I know the shark and stingray are further down/out and it throws a different perspective, but the barracuda still looks huge). :eek:

Shark surfing..... :eek: :D Hmmmm

We called ncl on this excursion today, and ncl hasn't done it yet, its in the works, and available for certain dates, ours of course in Nov. and it has a 44 person max i am told, and you wont have to tender to port, they will pick everyone up like a tender boat ... so, that's at 9:30 am, and 5 and a half hour excursion, so, back at 3 pm. so, you could still have some time in port, i asked if you have to eat at restaurant they go to, they said no, so we would have time on island to eat some local stuff, shop, etc ... but, its an 50 minute boat ride we were told .. we are about ready to pull trigger on this excursion, wonder how long you can wait to here from some that took this actual excursion, some i guess have taken similar ones ..what is number of people you know so far ??:)

We called ncl on this excursion today, and ncl hasn't done it yet, its in the works, and available for certain dates, ours of course in Nov. and it has a 44 person max i am told, and you wont have to tender to port, they will pick everyone up like a tender boat ... so, that's at 9:30 am, and 5 and a half hour excursion, so, back at 3 pm. so, you could still have some time in port, i asked if you have to eat at restaurant they go to, they said no, so we would have time on island to eat some local stuff, shop, etc ... but, its an 50 minute boat ride we were told .. we are about ready to pull trigger on this excursion, wonder how long you can wait to here from some that took this actual excursion, some i guess have taken similar ones ..what is number of people you know so far ??:)

:confused: I'm confused...they haven't done it yet? There's already a poster above that has done this excursion with NCL. I have learned from previous experience with reps at NCL, that you can call them over and over and you will get a different answer every single time. I honestly think that the people here on cc know more than any NCL rep ever. :eek:

I can't remember, is the meal included with the excursion? If so, you bet I will be eating whatever they have for us. If not, it depends on if we're hungry or can wait until we get back on the ship to eat if I decide to buy something.

Good to know that they pick you up at the ship. I figured they would (whether the rep actually admitted it or not) because in the past they have done the same (like when we went to Bannister Island they picked us up directly from the ship and dropped us back off there which made it nice). It's definitely one of the pluses to booking an excursion with the cruise-line. :)

The meal is not included in the cost of the excursion unless it has changed since March. Also, unless it has changed they don't pick you up at the ship. We had to tender and meet our guide at the tender dock. I know excursion details can change, that was just our experience.

The meal is not included in the cost of the excursion unless it has changed since March. Also, unless it has changed they don't pick you up at the ship. We had to tender and meet our guide at the tender dock. I know excursion details can change, that was just our experience.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the meal was included or not. I forgot to even look at that part. :p