Renting car at FLL. Return in Miami?

mominwestlake

We are flying into Fort Laudedrale and then heading to Miami for a day before our cruise. I would like to rent a car in Fort Lauderdale around 11:30 am and drive to Miami. We would like to visit the Vizcaya Museum before going on a Duck Tour. Then I'd like to check into our hotel, the Marriott Biscayne Bay. I thought I saw that Hertz had a rental car Kiosk in our hotel, but it won't let me return a rental to that location. I was thinking I could return it around 8 pm or so. Or, we could return it the next day, but I am having no luck finding a rental car company and location near the Port of Miami that will let me do this.

Has anyone done this before? Does it make sense? Do you know of a car rental company I should look at? Is there a better way to get to Miami and do the activities planned? I would really appreciate any help. We leave on July 5th.

We have done this with AVIS a couple of times with no problems with dropping off our car downtown Miami. They are located on 99 SE 2nd St, Miami, FL 33131 I think they close either at 4pm or 6pm. We usually stay close to Bayside Marketplace so it's only a couple of blocks away from our hotel.

Edited by Donna n Francis

Try Sixt, their Miami downtown branch closes at 7pm.

http://www.sixt.com/car-rental/usa/miami-fl/miami-downtown

Also 1 minute walk from the Metromover (Bayfront Park stop). Which can take you back to the hotel or you can grab a cab at Sixt or walk 1½ minutes to the Intercontinental to get a cab on the day of your cruise.

Had great experiences with them! Seamless speedy service and wonderfull fleet.

Edited by FreestyleNovice

• 2 weeks later...

We are also thinking of renting a vehicle at FLL and returning the next morning at one of the downtown Miami locations. Are any of these locations so crowded that it would be an issue? Is it hard to get a taxi from the rental return locations to the pier?

We are also thinking of renting a vehicle at FLL and returning the next morning at one of the downtown Miami locations. Are any of these locations so crowded that it would be an issue? Is it hard to get a taxi from the rental return locations to the pier?

If you rent from National, Alamo or Thrifty you can return to the MIA airport location and then ride their free shuttle to POM.

We have never encountered the one with AVIS located on 2nd Street being crowded. I am sure they would call a taxi for you. There is always taxis in this area of downtown Miami. I would imagine that the cost for a taxi from this address to the Port of Miami would be around $15.00. I know that from the Holiday Inn Port of Miami or the Intercontinental we usually pay around $10.00 to $12.00 for a taxi plus tip of course. The AVIS depot is in this area too. Hope this helps.....Donna

Yes Donna thank you that does help. We haven't decided if we want to go the rental car route or just shuttle down to the Holiday Inn POM and just stay there. I'm sure there is plenty for us to see in that area. But since this is our first trip to Miami we would love to see as much of the area as we can in a short period of time.

We have done it several times. Both ways. We usually use Avis or Budget which are really the same company. Their downtown offices in Miami are a block apart.

A cab ride to the port is $15. It is very easy to get a cab. I read somewhere that they were starting up a shuttle bus service. We would still take a cab...faster, less crowded.

If you rent from National, Alamo or Thrifty you can return to the MIA airport location and then ride their free shuttle to POM.

this is what I was thinking of doing. how far is the airport to the port? can I take my bags and drop them off at the port before I return the car to the airport?

I'm thinking the less I have to move my suitcases the better for me.

and there is the free shuttle ride back to the port.

this is what I was thinking of doing. how far is the airport to the port? Shuttle takes 15-20 minutes one-way

can I take my bags and drop them off at the port before I return the car to the airport? You could, but I would not; return the car at MIA, tip the shuttle driver and let him load & unload your bags.

I'm thinking the less I have to move my suitcases the better for me.

and there is the free shuttle ride back to the port.

Yes, they also offer free shuttles from POM back to their MIA airport location for customers with reservations (bring a printed copy of your reservation to show the driver).

Good luck!

Yes, they also offer free shuttles from POM back to their MIA airport location for customers with reservations (bring a printed copy of your reservation to show the driver).

Good luck!

ok so what your telling me is when i rent the car make a reservation to be taken back to the cruise port?

I just want to make sure I understand what your saying lots on little things that help make the vacation go better!

Edited by MILLERVILE
want to ask something else

Good luck!

I ended up getting a car mid size car for 57.00 at fll returning to Miami airport, free shuttle back to port. if I would have return it down town Miami they told me if would cost $30 for cub to port.

the car was 17 dollars fees were 40!

We rented from Dollar in May @ FLL airport and returned it to MIA cruise port terminal and were directed to the complimentary shuttle to POM. It couldn't have been any easier. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app