Ft Lauderdale Hotel Help

swscruiser

We have narrowed our search to 3 hotels, need input from anyone that has stayed at the hotels. Need a good Bar and clean rooms. We know where we are going to eat etc. Arriving 4pm sailing the next day. Have never stayed at any of these hotels. Help please!! Thanks Keith

I'd go with the Renaissance just for the location. I also like the Hilton Marina.

I can't really comment about the Crown Plaza because I've only just driven by it but the pool deck is really cool.

The following happy hours would be walking distance from the Hilton or Renaissance.

As far as happy hour, Duffys is probably the best but no view.

15th Street Fisheries is on the water and has a fantastic view. Bimini Boatyard has a cool outdoor bar and is also on the water but the view isn't too fantastic.

I like sitting outside at the Quarter Deck.

Bahia Cabana has the best atmosphere but I don't think they have happy hour.

Personally, I think Tarpon Bend in Himmarshee Village has the best HH. You'd need to take a cab and it is all locals.

Tap 41 is pretty cool also.

Edited by BlueHerons

We LOVE the Hilton Marina on 17th St. It is right across the street from the cruise port and if you can get a room in the "Tower" the views are amazing. You can see the ships pull in and out from your balcony.

Yes, there is a good bar inside, but we love the one "outside" by the pool.

You are in walking distance from everything. There is a Walgreens, one block down to get any last minute items....such as heavy toiletries that you don't want to add to the weight of luggage due to restrictions.

Great restaurants, bars, the famous "Ross" store.....on and on. All in walking distance.

Not sure if you are looking for a "good bar" in the hotel? That shouldn't be a prerequisite imo, because there are many casual bars in the city that deserve your fun.;)

Renaissance is on 17th St. Shopping and restauranats available in a quick walk.

Hilton on the water. Haven't stayed there but kind of took in the atmosphere in the lobby. Actually it wasn't what we would pick...too hectic, lots of cruisers just hanging out in different sitting areas, noisy...well obviously some people like that. ;)

I agree the Bahia Cabana outdoor very casual restaurant is a fun place to hang out. Certainly more so than a hotel bar. Where are you planning on eating?

Can't edit my post now but while the Bahia Cabana is walkable, it is about two miles from the Renaissance or Hilton and in the heat may be a bit much. The walk however is really fantastic over the 17th Street Bridge.

Can't edit my post now but while the Bahia Cabana is walkable, it is about two miles from the Renaissance or Hilton and in the heat may be a bit much. The walk however is really fantastic over the 17th Street Bridge.

Or the trolley works well if running at the needed time. That's why I wondered where they planned on dinner.

We make Bahia Cabana our usual and customary first night's stop after flying in, for drinks and, for me, the great fish sandwich. We enjoy the atmosphere of the marina. Especially when coming from the midwest for a winter's stay.:D

Edited by eandj

IMO you can't beat the Renaissance for its overall location and quality. The Hilton Marina would be my second choice and the Crown Plaza would be a distant 3rd. I agree while the Bahia Cabana while fun it is further than I would care to walk in Ft. Lauderdale's heat and humidity. I am not a fan the Bimini Boatyard but love the 15 St. Fisheries...but plan on a $10 cab fare either way.

Probably a car, but may cab it.

If you have a rental this might make you look at costs for parking it overnight at the hotel you choose. Can be pretty costly for just sitting there when you don't need it in the morning. Cabs to the port from downtown will run at most about $15. You would be better I'd think jusst to cab to the restaurant and to the port. Between rental costs and parking it overnight if that's what you do, could add up.

Edited by eandj

Or the trolley works well if running at the needed time. That's why I wondered where they planned on dinner.

We make Bahia Cabana our usual and customary first night's stop after flying in, for drinks and, for me, the great fish sandwich. We enjoy the atmosphere of the marina. Especially when coming from the midwest for a winter's stay.:D

Believe it or not, Bahia Cabana is a big locals hangout especially on Sunday afternoon. We go by boat all the time. Their food is pretty good!

Believe it or not, Bahia Cabana is a big locals hangout especially on Sunday afternoon. We go by boat all the time. Their food is pretty good!

Yes..we do notice more locals there than appearing-to-be tourists. It is just so relaxed and casual it makes our first night out on the busy flight day just that much more fun. And boy do we sleep well when we turn in for the night.:D

We have spent hours there seeing the differnt moon shine over the boats from dusk to dark. Pretty.

Yes..we do notice more locals there than appearing-to-be tourists. It is just so relaxed and casual it makes our first night out on the busy flight day just that much more fun. And boy do we sleep well when we turn in for the night.:D

We have spent hours there seeing the differnt moon shine over the boats from dusk to dark. Pretty.

Ask for a local's card next time you are in. They'll give you 10% off your bill!

Swscruiser, I went to Culver Stockton College in Canton, MO! I student taught in Quincy! Is Tony's Pizza restaurant still there? They had such great pizza!!!!

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Tony's is still here but in a different location. However, the pizza recipe was lost for over 10 years when Tony's son was going thru some old boxes etc and found it. Same great pizza. When did you student teach in Quincy?

Keith

Hi Cheryl,

Tony's is still here but in a different location. However, the pizza recipe was lost for over 10 years when Tony's son was going thru some old boxes etc and found it. Same great pizza. When did you student teach in Quincy?

Keith

Keith, I student taught at Notre Dame HS in 1972. I'm glad Tony's is still there. How could the pizza recipe been lost? Is Carson Perry Scott still there? I loved my four years out there! It was very different than where I grew up in NYC!

Cheryl

Keith, I student taught at Notre Dame HS in 1972. I'm glad Tony's is still there. How could the pizza recipe been lost? Is Carson Perry Scott still there? I loved my four years out there! It was very different than where I grew up in NYC!

Cheryl

The restaurant closed for several years and then his son reopened it as regular restaurant but no pizza. Everybody wanted the pizza but the recipe was gone, he found it put it on the menu and there were many happy campers again. Sorry Carsons has been closed for many years the building has been turned into apartments. I graduated from Quincy High in 73. Norte Dame and Christians Brothers High School were consolidated at the CB campus in the late 70's.

Keith

I'm sure I wouldn't recognize Quincy or Canton any more. I used to fly in on Ozark Airlines and the airport was so small!!! The luggage just got put in the terminal, no carousels or anything!!!

Ahhhh, the times, they are a changing!

Cheryl