Single Occupancy surcharge on HAL

ColumbiaSC

This makes more sense, but the OP didn't mention insurance or refunds.

You are correct; I saw no mention of insurance. But I thought I'd share my findings so any future CCers in a similar situation would have a "heads up" on this possibility.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I just saw something about Cunard is adding 9 single cabins to the Queen Elizabeth (8 ocean view and 1 inside). It could be a new trend.

Glad to hear it! I guess everything old is new again. Years ago, single cabins were common on TA liners.

Edited by Ryndam2002

This sort of thing drives me to distraction. You paid for two, but they wanted to add $1,000 because only one actually occupied the cabin? :confused:

I presume if both of you didn't show up you would have been charged an additional $2,000?

This is really allowed - you have to divide this in two (and that is the reason why I am NOT booking two and "one person cancels):

You have a reservation - two guest in a cabin. Maybe - but not necessarily - booked with two reservation numbers (maybe friends cruising together but with separate bills)

One persons cancels shortly before the cruise. So the cancellation fee for this person is 100 %. No refund for the cancelled person.

BUT - and that is the point:

The other person, who did not cancel, is - legally! - now rebooked into a single cabin. So the single supplement applies and you are charged the supplement.

It is unusual - but they can do it.

I just saw something about Cunard is adding 9 single cabins to the Queen Elizabeth (8 ocean view and 1 inside). It could be a new trend.

Yes, but the cost (I tried a few dummy bookings) for the single oceanview is the same price as a regular oceanview (which is larger). Doesn't really help the solo cruiser.

Yes, but the cost (I tried a few dummy bookings) for the single oceanview is the same price as a regular oceanview (which is larger). Doesn't really help the solo cruiser.

The Prinsendam has always had solo cabins with the same effect, and also several RCI ships.

Roy