Reluctant cruiser

:)

A good friend told someone he was going on a cruise to someplace-doesn't matter where.

The guy told him " Oh, you're going there? You've GOTTA do such and such while you're there!"

His reply? "Uh uh. I don't 'GOTTA' do anything. I'm retired and on a cruise"

:)

A good friend told someone he was going on a cruise to someplace-doesn't matter where.

The guy told him " Oh, you're going there? You've GOTTA do such and such while you're there!"

His reply? "Uh uh. I don't 'GOTTA' do anything. I'm retired and on a cruise"

I always tell them the only thing I gotta do is die, the rest is optional.

I will not quote your excessively long ramble about how unhappy you are that this cruise is not going to be good enough for you

So assuming you are serious about you concerns and not just trying to stir the pot

I think you should stay home. Do not go on this cruise

I feel that would be best for your traveling companions

Ya know, I don't think OP is totally unhappy about going on this cruise. (I could be wrong though, I've been wrong before.)

There are times in life when we all need to allow ourselves to be persuaded to step out of our little world, circle, box or whatever else you prefer to call it and let the other person fulfill their dream(s). While it may not be our dream, it is theirs and if you care about someone you will find a way to let them ascend into their dream alone but with your support.

Life is not always about doing what you want to, sometimes it`s about doing what someone esle wants to and feeling wonderful about it, especially when you see the joy you`ve given them, right there, in their eyes.

I hope you end up loving your cruise, but if not, you will, at least, have someone very happy just for trying. JMO

Happy cruising.

Edited by All-ready2cruise

So, I am being strong-armed into going on the Gem in July to Nassau. I have never been on a cruise and generally do not like being on boats. I tend to get some form of seasickness if I am below deck, so I am not thrilled. I have done plenty of research and this still does not seem like something that is up my alley at all. I have had an open mind to this whole scenario, but here are my concerns and any input or feedback would be appreciated.

1-FOOD: It seems to me that most of the food is reminiscent of a Golden Corral buffet or a Quaker Steak and Lube. I don't eat out often but when I do I prefer restaurants that have favorable ratings from sites such as NY Times, Time Out NY or Zagat. I feel like, in general, that I will not be thrilled with the dining. I do love dessert and everything that I have read indicates that is the strong point of the NCL's food offerings. Do you think I'm being realistic or am I maybe setting the expectations too low?

2-ALCOHOL: I have become a total beer snob and cannot physically drink crap beers like Bud or Lite anymore. My body rejects them. It appears that the beer menus are completely dreadful with Sam Adams being the only drinkable beer on it. Does anyone know if the Gem still currently serve Sam Adams? Also, bottom shelf liquor doesn't agree with me. Does anybody know how much drink prices increase by if you go from a house liquor to a call or premium brand? For instance, I see that a Cuba Libre is $5.75 (I assume it's made with house liquor..Castillo rum?). Any idea on the bump if I wanted Appleton instead?

3-CROWDS: Everything I have read about the Gem indicates that it is very crowded. I would really like to just find a relatively quiet, cool and shady place to sit and read books on my Kindle. Does an area like this exist on the Gem? If I am being forced to be on a 'vacation' I would like to avoid the noise and crowds since they drive me nuts here in NY.

4-CULTURE: When I go on a trip I like to go to places that have museums, architecture, local restaurants and bars, along with other places to experience local culture. I guess Cocoa Beach will involve some local seafood joint for lunch and Great Stirrup Cay seems to be a pointless destination based on my interests. Any food and drink recommendations for Cocoa Beach? Nassau appears to have very few sights and museums. Is there enough in Nassau to occupy somebody for a good eight hours? Also, does anybody know of any local restaurants and bars in Nassau that would not be tourist joints while also being safe to visit? I am open to trying any of the local cuisine and want to give some Switcha a try.

5-ENTERTAINMENT: So, I pretty much loathe shows and plays. I'm not interested in magicians or dancers prancing around. This pretty much leaves The Second City and World Beat. Would I need reservations for either one of these before the vacation starts or can it be a spur of the moment decision? Does anybody have any info on who the actual entertainers will be on the 7/12 trip?

6-SEASICK: Do any of you have a preference for avoiding seasickness...bracelet vs. meds? Can you take the meds and have a bunch of drinks or does it make you drowsy?

Well, I guess this post has gotten a bit long, so that's all for now. I appreciate any feedback and help with this whole thing. Thanks in advance for your help everybody!

Thanks,

KoL

My views on cruising were very similar to yours a few years back - I am naturally cynical and like to book every aspect of a trip myself with lots of research for every aspect. So a cruise?

Shows? Pah! Not for me

The food will be like school dinners or a cheap all inclusive hotel - pah!

Stuck with the same sad people every day - rubbish!

I'll get seasick and wish I was dead, stuck in the midde of the ocean - no thanks!

The bars will be like airport bars - all fake decor and expensive but poor quality drinks - a con!

But having booked to go to Orlando for a week one year, my wife (who worked in travel) got sent a deal that seemed too good to pass up - a week on the Epic from Miami round Western Caribbean in a balcony cabin for some silly low price so we thought whatever, let's do it and confirm all my suspicions.

My goodness I only loved it. The most relaxing holiday I'd ever had. You board, unpack and the rest is done for you. The suite was like a high end hotel room, the food was fantastic quality with proper linen and service and more choice than you could do in a week. The range of beers on draught was comprehensive and the spirits were full range and way more reasonably priced than I was expecting (I live in London so am used to high prices on booze.) The entertainment was (apart from Cirque dinner) free so if you didn't like, leave - many people do and you've lost nothing. We only had one rough day at sea and you could hardly notice it - I was never even slightly seasick and I am susceptible (a trip across Lake Michigan on the catamaran ferry thing will haunt me forever.) Waking up every morning and seeing a new town at daybreak from my own balcony. It's like a hotel that does all the travelling for you.

The only criticism I had and still have to this day, is the pricing of the excursions - silly money for what is often nothing more than a coach ride ($89 x 50 people = $4450 for the use of a coach and driver for one day - I'm in the wrong busiess!)

I could go on but we do a cruise a year now at least - it really is an experience where you can do and see plenty or nothing it's up to you.

Edited by timmo44
Additions