Just off Ocean's West Africa cruise?

royal65

Thank you hillslife and beg3yrs!

What about Dakar...did anyone go to the Ille de Goree on their own?

Carolyn

Hello Carolyn,

We were on the 2010 cruise, and there certainly can be differences from then, but we are inveterate DIYers. And we did go on our own. I'm not sure anyone else did, but we were cruising with a couple who had a DIY at Dakar to the Ille on an even earlier Princess cruise, and had told us how to do it.

We docked on a Sunday and walked past the vendors set up on the pier, through the industrial part of the port, and to the close-by ferry pier. We were unsure of the departure times, and we had to pay in local currency, but as capitalism goes, there was a local who was able to change money and help us buy the tickets.

It turns out we were on the same ferry as the organized tours, but as we were on our own on the Ille (which is very worthwhile), we actually ended up going back on a ferry with hardly anyone on it (just a few locals). We then walked around town (somewhat deserted being Sunday) and eventually found the town indoor market (which was open), then back to the ship.

Doing this is NOT for everyone. It turns out there were two robberies (one passenger, one crewmember (took his laptop)) in a part of the industrial port which was a little secluded while walking out. We're fairly observant and seasoned travelers, but I have been robbed once when on our own :mad:(2004, Pacific Princess, Colon, Panama), though it didn't stop us from adventures in other, third world, sketchy places :eek:.

So, I neither recommend nor discourage a DIY to Ille de Goree, but point out the difficulties. Plus some may enjoy reading about our adventure.

Cheers,

Bruce

A couple more questions for those of you just returning:

- did you need local currency in all of the ports? It seems as though most of your ports were industrial oriented, so were ATMs readily available? Did the ship change USD into local money?

- were US credit cards accepted in all ports?

- how much in advance were local tour operators secured? Did you feel like you could trust them with your credit card numbers? (sorry if anyone takes offense to that question, it's just that I have had my CC number stolen overseas before)

These questions aren't really important, just curious:

- was there a cross the equator ceremony?

- I originally tried to book this year's cruise, but it was shown as being sold out a year in advance and then 6 months ago, there seemed to be plenty of available cabins.. The 2015 cruise was the same -- sold out much in advance and then suddenly availability. Any insight/speculation among your shipmates as to reason for this? Just curious.

Thanks, again for taking the time to share your knowledge.

- did you need local currency in all of the ports? It seems as though most of your ports were industrial oriented, so were ATMs readily available? Did the ship change USD into local money?

- were US credit cards accepted in all ports?

- how much in advance were local tour operators secured? Did you feel like you could trust them with your credit card numbers? (sorry if anyone takes offense to that question, it's just that I have had my CC number stolen overseas before)

These questions aren't really important, just curious:

- was there a cross the equator ceremony?

- I originally tried to book this year's cruise, but it was shown as being sold out a year in advance and then 6 months ago, there seemed to be plenty of available cabins.. The 2015 cruise was the same -- sold out much in advance and then suddenly availability. Any insight/speculation among your shipmates as to reason for this? Just curious.

We really didn't see much in ATM availability other than Canary Islands (part of Spain), South Africa, Ceuta (again, part of Spain), France and Belgium. These same places, except for South Africa, were most resistant to taking anything but Euros. Other ports (Namibia, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Senegal, Cabo Verde) were all willing to work with currencies other than their own. Morocco was kind of in the middle.

We didn't use our credit card anywhere except for South Africa, Spanish possessions, France and Belgium. We only used Princess tours BTW.

Yes, there was a crossing the equator ceremony. Quite fun too.

As far as cabins being sold out, I firmly believe many people make reservations for these more adventurous cruises using FCCs simply to hold a cabin just in case they decide to go. Once it gets near time to commit, they drop out for whatever reason and cabin availability increases.

- did you need local currency in all of the ports? It seems as though most of your ports were industrial oriented, so were ATMs readily available? Did the ship change USD into local money - I only used the ATM in the Johannesburg airport to get Rand and England for the GBP. Did not see any ATMs at the ports. Euros (which I already had)were wanted by tour guides I used for Namibia, Benin, Togo, Senegal and Cape Verde and they did not accept credit cards. A lot of street vendors took dollars. Never used any local currencies. Asked the ship once to change a 100 Euro for smaller bills and they told me they couldn't.

were US credit cards accepted in all ports? I only used my U.S. credit card (no embedded chip) in Cape Town and the two safari game reserves where we stayed.

- how much in advance were local tour operators secured? Did you feel like you could trust them with your credit card numbers? (sorry if anyone takes offense to that question, it's just that I have had my CC number stolen overseas before) I emailed the tour guides about two years out to hold space and then firmed up the booking once they came out with prices for 2014. None required any money to book their tours. I was told that in Cape Town businesses were to swipe your CC at your table or in front of you. If they didn't have a hand held machine, you were to follow them to where they were going to swipe your card.

Agree with beg3yrs on the availability of cabins after being a sold out cruise.

Since the ship was short on supplies' date=' including wine,

did they still charge the corkage fee when bringing wine onboard in Capetown?[/quote']

We had zero issues bringing anything on board from Singapore to Dover through Cape Town. Evidently the shortages began in Singapore as they didn't get fully resupplied there and a certain demographic of the previous segment's passengers (you know who you are) consumed quite a bit. ;)

Since the ship was short on supplies' date=' including wine,

did they still charge the corkage fee when bringing wine onboard in Capetown?[/quote']

No one checked our bags for wine/beer when we boarded in Cape Town. Bags just went through the scanner and then we carried the bags on board the ship. DH bought beer at other ports and no one said anything about the beer bottles we brought on board the ship.

Were you for-warned that you needed Euros? For those who didn't bring them, where did they get them? I only keep enough Euros on hand to get us started when we visit Europe. thanx

Were you for-warned that you needed Euros? For those who didn't bring them, where did they get them? I only keep enough Euros on hand to get us started when we visit Europe. thanx

Hmm ... nothing shows up in the Personalizer's Special Notices section so Princess doesn't formally tell you ahead of the cruise. The Port Lecturer typically did mention which currencies would be accepted in each port but that's only a couple of days in advance.

Personally, we traditionally use ATMs to get foreign currencies if required but for this particular cruise, access to an ATM was darn near impossible in the less developed ports. However, vendors in those ports pretty much accepted any major currency you offered. This was especially true if it was a bartering situation.

We did not bring ANY currency other that US dollars and while there was a single instance in France where we had to get some Euros, we got by with what we brought and a chipped credit card with no foreign transaction fees.

beg3yrs,

I see from your signature you will be on the same cruise from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale as us in October. I will be anxious to meet you and 'pick your brain' for more ideas for the West Africa cruise then. We are wait listed at this time for that cruise.

Thank you to all who were on the 2014 cruise for your comments.I am following along as we hope to do this in 2015.

beg3yrs,

I see from your signature you will be on the same cruise from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale as us in October. I will be anxious to meet you and 'pick your brain' for more ideas for the West Africa cruise then. We are wait listed at this time for that cruise.

Thank you to all who were on the 2014 cruise for your comments.I am following along as we hope to do this in 2015.

Happy to do so. Join the Roll Call anyway, it's rocking. You'll likely clear the wait list when it comes time to make final payments and people on the fence start dropping out.

The private guides I used priced the tours in either Euros or after we completed the tour, converted their local currency into Euros. All the people on my tour had the correct amount of Euros for each tour. They either had them or I believe they bought the amount needed for each tour before they left home. I had Euros, GBP and US$s. Used the Cape Town ATM to get Rand and did need more GBP for our 3 days in England before flying home. No place we were at in England would take US$s.

The tours I have arrange for in Ghana, Togo and Benin are giving me the price in US$$ and have said they will accept payment in dollars. In Namibia they are asking for SA rand. After Ghana, they are asking for payment in euros.

In our experience, you need a credit card (much easier if it has a chip as you can't use the common US cards at self serve type places) or euros in Europe. In England same deal... pounds or cc. It is just like traveling in the US. Visitors need a credit card or US dollars!

We had zero issues bringing anything on board from Singapore to Dover through Cape Town. Evidently the shortages began in Singapore as they didn't get fully resupplied there and a certain demographic of the previous segment's passengers (you know who you are) consumed quite a bit. ;)

We had no issues bringing wine or beer on board prior to Singapore but my DH bought a couple of local beers in a supermarket in Singapore and when they went through the scanners at the port, they were confiscated and taped up with his name written across the tape. We were told that they would be given back once on board. BTW this was the Singaporean authorities not Princess.

After a couple of days, we went to the Purser's desk to enquire and were told the beer had been destroyed. OK, we knew the rules so no dramas, but the strange thing was we knew lots of others who bought on beer, wine and spirits with no issues in Singapore. In fact, a couple of folk who boarded in Singapore had bottles of spirits in their suitcases so the suitcases were 'confiscated' but after reporting to the 'naughty corner' they were allowed to keep the bottles of spirits. We had a laugh at my DH's beer being confiscated, but were a bit annoyed that the alcohol policy seems to be employed somewhat randomly.

We must haste just been unlucky I guess.:eek:

I bought wine aboard in Cape Town with no problems. There was no wine package available on board due to shortages. I paid US$15 corkage when I took the bottles down to the dinner table.

I organised a tour in Tema, Ghana. Our tour guide was Michael Orleans, of Ashanti Tours who were very professional. We had a really excellent day. In the morning we did a bit of a safari around a wild life preserve, saw baboons antelope and ostriches. It was quite green and pleasant for a change to the rest of dusty West Africa. We went to Accra for lunch (included )at a great restaurant near the airport. There was loads of choice and every one was happy. After lunch we did a tour around Accra the Nkrumah museum and memorial, a light house and old Ghana. We then went to a market for souvenirs etc .where the selling process was quite intent but fun if you could stand the pressure. They also stopped at a beach restaurant on the way back to the ship to enable those running down on supplies to resupply with more alcohol. We got back with plenty of time to spare. The cost was US$125 per person but included lunch and soft drinks. It was a really good comprehensive day. I had to pay a deposit up front. They asked for 50% of the total but settled for me paying in full for my wife and I.

One thing I would say is I would not advise anyone to attempt to walk off the ship and just take a taxi in any of the West African ports. They are too busy with containers and it is just not that sort of place anyway. Totally unsafe really. It isn't even the third world more fifth or sixth in places.

My wife will never ever forget her visit to the fetish market in Togo.

All in all it was a truly great and fascinating cruise with wonderful fellow passengers, but certainly not one for the faint-hearted!

Thanks for all the get information!

Does anyone remember the cost of the some of the full day ship's tours in Benin, Togo, Ghana and Casablanca? What about Namibia?

Thanks for all the get information!

Does anyone remember the cost of the some of the full day ship's tours in Benin, Togo, Ghana and Casablanca? What about Namibia?

I don't have the numbers on all the ship's tours, this is what I paid (for two) on the following tours. BTW, we booked early so on-ship prices may have been more. This is a copy and paste from a spreadsheet. The first set of times are the ship's times in port and the second set of times are the originally posted tour times.

Luderitz, Namibia 7AM 2PM Kolmanskop - Ghost Town of the Namib LUD210B 9:00AM 11:30AM $ 198.00

Cotonou, Benin 8AM 6PM Ouidah - "Voodoo Capital" & Ganvie COO100A 8:45AM 5:25PM $ 458.00

Lome, Togo 7AM 6PM Slavery, Voodoo Village & Zangebeto Dances LFW100A 9:00AM 5:00PM $ 458.00

Tema, Ghana 7AM 6PM Accra: Cultural Exhibit & National Museum TE1120A 9:00AM 3:35PM $ 498.00

Casablanca, Morocco (for Marrakech) 7AM 7PM Casablanca & Rabat CAS105A 8:00 AM 6:30PM $ 198.00

We're fairly observant and seasoned travelers, but I have been robbed once when on our own :mad:(2004, Pacific Princess, Colon, Panama), though it didn't stop us from adventures in other, third world, sketchy places :eek:.

Bruce

And we were there with you, though fortunately not when it happened.

And at the last minute,. we had to cancel this one. But Tina kept me in the loop with daily emails and photos.

And we were there with you, though fortunately not when it happened.

And at the last minute,. we had to cancel this one. But Tina kept me in the loop with daily emails and photos.

Pia,

Yes you were! Imagine! Early evening and on the most populated, most brightly lit street in downtown Colon. But no harm, and it's made a great "war story" over the subsequent years.

You and Mike have been to so many places. Hope you make it to West Africa. Boynton Beach it's not! :)

Bruce

I don't have the numbers on all the ship's tours, this is what I paid (for two) on the following tours. BTW, we booked early so on-ship prices may have been more. This is a copy and paste from a spreadsheet. The first set of times are the ship's times in port and the second set of times are the originally posted tour times.

Luderitz, Namibia 7AM 2PM Kolmanskop - Ghost Town of the Namib LUD210B 9:00AM 11:30AM $ 198.00

Cotonou, Benin 8AM 6PM Ouidah - "Voodoo Capital" & Ganvie COO100A 8:45AM 5:25PM $ 458.00

Lome, Togo 7AM 6PM Slavery, Voodoo Village & Zangebeto Dances LFW100A 9:00AM 5:00PM $ 458.00

Tema, Ghana 7AM 6PM Accra: Cultural Exhibit & National Museum TE1120A 9:00AM 3:35PM $ 498.00

Casablanca, Morocco (for Marrakech) 7AM 7PM Casablanca & Rabat CAS105A 8:00 AM 6:30PM $ 198.00

Thank you, Those are the tours I remember reading about, but didn't have prices for.

Were they good....I know the transportation may be less than what we are use too in other parts of the world? Knowing what you know now about each of the tours would you still do them?

Carolyn

One thing I have just thought of was that all our private tours (usually in 20 seater buses) were all air conditioned. Most of the ships tours appeared to be in non air conditioned 50 seat coaches. They were running around with the doors open. Also many complaints on board!

Thank you, Those are the tours I remember reading about, but didn't have prices for.

Were they good....I know the transportation may be less than what we are use too in other parts of the world? Knowing what you know now about each of the tours would you still do them?

Carolyn

One thing I have just thought of was that all our private tours (usually in 20 seater buses) were all air conditioned. Most of the ships tours appeared to be in non air conditioned 50 seat coaches. They were running around with the doors open. Also many complaints on board!

Yep, no AC in Benin and Togo. People who complained should have read the tour descriptions as it was clearly stated there would be no AC as well as a warning about the rough roads. At least the buses had windows that would open so it wasn't so bad as long as they were moving. Ghana, Luderitz and Senegal had buses with AC.

Our worst tour was Ghana as it was kind of underwhelming. While our guide was good, the organization of the sights was less than fabulous and the "best shopping market" in the whole country was kind of a rathole with the most aggressive vendors we'd seen anywhere. I'd look for a different tour there.

We were happy with all the other tours.

BTW, forgot to mention one of the best was the Walvis Bay Wildlife Cruise. DW got hugged by a wild Sea Lion who had become accustomed to the tour boats and came onboard (for some free fish of course) - awesome. Of course the champagne and fresh oysters helped the mood too.

Walvis Bay, Namibia 7AM 6PM Walvis Bay Wildlife Cruise WVB240A 8:45AM 12:15PM $ 178.00 (price for two)

Edited by beg3yrs

beg3yrs

Thank you, Thank you!!!

I will check out the Walvis Bay tour...sounds like fun! Then there is still time to explore a little.

OK, the Ghana ship's tour is off the list....! I have worked up private tours for four of us, in these ports, but two have had to cancel the trip so I have some decisions to make..drop the private tour....keep it and be prepared to pay for the car.... or go with the ships tour. Thanks for your comments. They really help.

You say the Senegal ship's tour used a bus with A/C. Did you do that tour? How was it. I think I would really just like to go to the Island and skip the all day affair but....

You mention the markets...I do like to get something from the places we visit, but hate the crush of vendors. Where was the best or least harassing shopping??? Or is there such a thing in that part of the world!

Thanks again.

beg3yrs

You say the Senegal ship's tour used a bus with A/C. Did you do that tour? How was it. I think I would really just like to go to the Island and skip the all day affair but....

You mention the markets...I do like to get something from the places we visit, but hate the crush of vendors. Where was the best or least harassing shopping??? Or is there such a thing in that part of the world!

Thanks again.

Senegal had full-size buses with A/C and yes we did that tour. The tour had decent sights and took you all around the Dakar peninsula. There were two stops with shopping. One was quite extensive with all sorts of goodies, kind of like a sook in Arabia. Vendors were "out there" but not as bad as Ghana. The other stop was at the sand painting shop where in addition to sand paintings there was a nice little stand with an assortment of trinkets at decent prices from where the bargaining would start. In Senegal at the port there was an ad-hoc setup of vendors right in front of the shop as well. If you missed anything on tour you had a good chance of finding it there as well.