Celebrity Solstice sailing from Freo

We're sailing on Celebrity Solstice from Freo in Feb 2015. My question relates to the orientation of the ship whilst docked at Freo harbour - does she face West (towards the ocean & Rotnest Island) with port side against the wharf, or East (toward the City) with starboard side against the wharf?

The reason I ask is that we have an aft cabin and are hoping to be able to farewell family on the wharf from our cabin as we depart. This will be best if she's moored facing West for departure.

Thanks

We're sailing on Celebrity Solstice from Freo in Feb 2015. My question relates to the orientation of the ship whilst docked at Freo harbour - does she face West (towards the ocean & Rotnest Island) with port side against the wharf, or East (toward the City) with starboard side against the wharf?

The reason I ask is that we have an aft cabin and are hoping to be able to farewell family on the wharf from our cabin as we depart. This will be best if she's moored facing West for departure.

Thanks

We sailed out of Freo on the Solstice in Feb 2013.

She was berthed with the aft facing east...I remember well being up at the Sunset Bar watching events on the dock and a car carrier unloading.

Our cabin was on the Starboard side, and I also recall that when we were down there unpacking we could see from our balcony that the Ship was being refueled from a lighter below us. I imagine that it is a distinct possibility that refueling arrangements would be specific reason for which way the ship is positioned at the wharf.

cheers

We sailed out of Freo on the Solstice in Feb 2013.

She was berthed with the aft facing east...I remember well being up at the Sunset Bar watching events on the dock and a car carrier unloading.

Our cabin was on the Starboard side, and I also recall that when we were down there unpacking we could see from our balcony that the Ship was being refueled from a lighter below us. I imagine that it is a distinct possibility that refueling arrangements would be specific reason for which way the ship is positioned at the wharf.

cheers

I would imagine that it would also make it easier to sail straight out.:D

I would imagine that it would also make it easier to sail straight out.:D

Yes it would but given the stern and bow thrusters that they have they can turn on their own length (if there's enough room). They've either got to turn on arrival or departure.

Interestingly at Sydney's OPT, Carnival Spirit docks bow forward (pointing at Circular Quay) and reverses out whilst Celebrity Solstice docks the stern in i.e. the opposite way. I can't comment on other ships.

I'm not sure why they each dock with different orientation. Are there rules or is the captains (or harbour pilots) choice?

Yes it would but given the stern and bow thrusters that they have they can turn on their own length (if there's enough room). They've either got to turn on arrival or departure.

Interestingly at Sydney's OPT, Carnival Spirit docks bow forward (pointing at Circular Quay) and reverses out whilst Celebrity Solstice docks the stern in i.e. the opposite way. I can't comment on other ships.

I'm not sure why they each dock with different orientation. Are there rules or is the captains (or harbour pilots) choice?

I would think that both would contribute to the decision. However, it would be funny to think that (as Flipper suggested), the fuel tank opening determines which way it docks.:D

It has more to do with the access points for loading/unloading the ship, due partly to where the providoring area is located on the wharf. If the Solstice (or Voyager) were to berth "bow in" they would be too far into Circular Quay and would create a safety problem for ferry traffic. I believe the 60 metre extension to the wharf at the OPT will resolve this when completed. The access doors on the Carnival Spirit must be located on the ship in a position which allows them to be bow in. There are no "rules"(as far as I know) as to which way they can berth nor do I think the captain can pick and choose, its a practicality thing... even though stern in would make for a faster"getaway"

It has more to do with the access points for loading/unloading the ship, due partly to where the providoring area is located on the wharf. If the Solstice (or Voyager) were to berth "bow in" they would be too far into Circular Quay and would create a safety problem for ferry traffic. I believe the 60 metre extension to the wharf at the OPT will resolve this when completed. The access doors on the Carnival Spirit must be located on the ship in a position which allows them to be bow in. There are no "rules"(as far as I know) as to which way they can berth nor do I think the captain can pick and choose, its a practicality thing... even though stern in would make for a faster"getaway"

Thanks for the info gbenjo, it all makes perfect sense.:D

Thanks for that. It makes logical sense.

I can tell you that Voyager of the Seas docked at Fremantle starboard side to the dock. The harbour is bigger than I thought, and Voyager didn't have any trouble doing a 180 turn.

Edited by keagle