Family removed from Dream in Jamaica

ExFed drvr

Wow. I've never heard of a person getting kicked off in another country. I can't imagine the liability Carnival assumes kicking off Americans (most likely) in a foreign country. I can see confining them to the jail or their rooms but that's extreme IMO.

I'm sure the liability is zero. I'd be willing to bet the cruise line will make contact with the US Embassy and advise them of the situation. The families wouldn't be really left to fend for themselves. The embassy would help repatriate them if they were without the means to do it on their own.

I expect that the Captain gave them the opportunity to explain and found it lacking.

Exactly!

But just to go with the incredibly foolish idea of being politically correct lets just say the kid was hiding from his parent and step parent who were drunk and passed out themselves and who regularly abuse this kid so he decided to befriend a family of total strangers who in their well meaning attemp to sympathize with this kid believed every single word he said and they too blamed the parents for their abuse of this kid.

Now these total strangers felt it was their responsibility to save this kid and hide him from these monsters

Because as we all know by now total strangers and incompetent political figures as well as school boards and teachers all believe that all parents are horrible and kids should be guided by total strangers. Lol

Yes I am a history buff and yes some if the most infamous evil men to have ever walked the earth actually felt that way.

Off topic I know but the poster you quoted seemed to be pointing the finger away from the kid and suggested the kid had a valid reason to hide from the evil parents who took him on this cruise. Lol

And fwiw. No, we do not have these issues in our family and I have no first hand experience with child abuse. I am just elaborating on how the world seems to run these days. Lol

Just for those that will make my post personal and about me now. Please don't bother. I was being humorous but with a huge dose of reality unfortunately

Edited by Crusin6

"If drugs or violence were involved then I agree with it. I'd kill my child but I just can't see them getting kicked off for hiding."

When you take into consideration the the time crew spent searching before they started making the in cabin announcements and what the next step was going to be I don't see getting kicked off as too harsh. We were told by our room service staff that had it gone on much longer we were going to have to turn around to return where he was last known to be. While I believe everyone was relieved and happy to hear the announcement that he was found alive & well, the amount of staff time spent searching and the disruption to everyone on board was distressing. I'm sure the decision to broadcast the announcements in room for several hours and then the cabin by cabin searches were not made lightly.

As to yet another version of the story... we were told that he was found hiding on one of the empty decks and that he was mad at his mother. Not sure of all the family dynamics and none of my business but if this were my family, not sure I would be able to enjoy the rest of the cruise anyway after going through this:cool:

"If drugs or violence were involved then I agree with it. I'd kill my child but I just can't see them getting kicked off for hiding."

When you take into consideration the the time crew spent searching before they started making the in cabin announcements and what the next step was going to be I don't see getting kicked off as too harsh. We were told by our room service staff that had it gone on much longer we were going to have to turn around to return where he was last known to be. While I believe everyone was relieved and happy to hear the announcement that he was found alive & well' date=' the amount of staff time spent searching and the disruption to everyone on board was distressing. I'm sure the decision to broadcast the announcements in room for several hours and then the cabin by cabin searches were not made lightly.

As to yet another version of the story... we were told that he was found hiding on one of the empty decks and that he was mad at his mother. Not sure of all the family dynamics and none of my business but if this were my family, not sure I would be able to enjoy the rest of the cruise anyway after going through this:cool:[/quote']

Maybe she gave him a curfew? Bad mother!!!

Wow. I've never heard of a person getting kicked off in another country. I can't imagine the liability Carnival assumes kicking off Americans (most likely) in a foreign country. I can see confining them to the jail or their rooms but that's extreme IMO.

Any liability incurred by putting them off the ship (and I doubt there is any) is certainly less than that of putting them into confinement. In that case they risk charges of false imprisonment. I'm sure Carnival has employees on the ground to assist them in getting home.

WOW, would interesting to find out what the argument was about that caused him to run and hide in a new friends cabin. As stated, the Captain does have the right to remove passengers for various reasons, according to the cruise contract, which most agree to, but never actually read.

I find it amazing that people can jump to conclusions based on so few facts. There could be many scenarios that could have caused this situation to spiral out of control.

Some possibilities:

1. There was a nasty domestic dispute between the parents and the kid hid for his own safety.
  2. The kid has special needs (autism?) and the family was trying to have a nice vacation that ended badly. They agreed that the ship was not the place to be after this incident.
  3. The kid got into an argument over a curfew and took off. He then went to his new girlfriends cabin for some early morning fun.

The possibilities are endless, and we do not know much. Myself, I believe that the ships crew reviewed all the facts and made the best decision they could.

I find it amazing that people can jump to conclusions based on so few facts. There could be many scenarios that could have caused this situation to spiral out of control.

Some possibilities:

1. There was a nasty domestic dispute between the parents and the kid hid for his own safety.
  2. The kid has special needs (autism?) and the family was trying to have a nice vacation that ended badly. They agreed that the ship was not the place to be after this incident.
  3. The kid got into an argument over a curfew and took off. He then went to his new girlfriends cabin for some early morning fun.

The possibilities are endless, and we do not know much. Myself, I believe that the ships crew reviewed all the facts and made the best decision they could.

And that is exactly what I was getting at in my previous posts.

However putting them off is serious and it was certainly done because of the actions of the passengers. Not the actions of the crew or innocent bystanders

One thing for sure is since they were put off then they did something bad. Very bad.

Edited by Crusin6

For the first time in my over 50 cruises I was awoken in my cabin by an announcement in my cabin in the middle of the night. Started at 4:05 am and lasted every 5 minutes until 4:35. They were searching for a 14 year old that had an argument with his Dad & stepmother. They starting making the announcements in the crew cabins at 5:30 and all crew had to get up at 6:00 and help with the search. My room steward knocked on my door with a picture of him about 7:00 as they went to every cabin searching for this 14 year old. They found him about 7:30 hiding in another friends cabin that he met on the cruise. His whole family was put off along with the people in whos cabin he was hiding. Everyone on the ship was awaken by this search so it was probably for the best they put him off...Dennis

Wow, what a mess. Bet that argument continued after they were put ashore.

Didn't mean that the captain didn't have good reason for throwing the families off the ship!

Just meant that we don't have a clue as to what really happened to start this whole mess.

As mentioned above there are many possibilities and we'll never know which one actually occurred!:confused:

I find it amazing that people can jump to conclusions based on so few facts.

I agree. We do know one incontrovertible fact, and that is starting at 4 AM, and continuing for some time, every single person on the ship, including the kid hiding, knew that he was being searched for and that he should come out. Did he think they would give up looking for him?

It certainly would not have made it worse for him to present himself during the first announcement, rather than waiting for the door to door search.

Kevin C

On our first cruise there were 2 boys (17 years old) who called their parents in a panic saying that their excursion wasn't going to be back in time and that they were going to miss the ship. The parents were freaking out trying to contact ship's officers and security to hold the ship.

All the while these two kids were up on deck 10 watching their parents freak out below. The kids were communicating with the parents over the phone.....this was in Cozumel. The kids let this go on for about 30 minutes

Similar case the whole family was kicked off the ship in Cozumel.

Sounds like it might be. Not surprising that she won't sail CCL again.

Not that she won't, but can't (not that she willl admit to that). I believe once you've been kicked off a ship, you are banned for life. Or am I wrong?

On our first cruise there were 2 boys (17 years old) who called their parents in a panic saying that their excursion wasn't going to be back in time and that they were going to miss the ship. The parents were freaking out trying to contact ship's officers and security to hold the ship.

All the while these two kids were up on deck 10 watching their parents freak out below. The kids were communicating with the parents over the phone.....this was in Cozumel. The kids let this go on for about 30 minutes

Similar case the whole family was kicked off the ship in Cozumel.

Thank God I'll never have to find out what I'd do to my kids if they had pulled that stunt. (Not that they were little angels, they're adults now and would just get left.)

Thank God I'll never have to find out what I'd do to my kids if they had pulled that stunt. (Not that they were little angels, they're adults now and would just get left.)

haha yeah I'm with ya. I'm afraid to say that my kids may become residents of Cozumel.....it's probably a good thing that I don't have kids ;) :p

Not that she won't, but can't (not that she willl admit to that). I believe once you've been kicked off a ship, you are banned for life. Or am I wrong?

I suspect that one would be banned for some time if not for life, but I don't know for sure.

This was posted on another thread... Guess this is the mom of the boy.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/carnival_cruise_lines.htm

How could that be 3 hours, they started searching for him around 2:00 am and found him in that room at 7:30. She fails to mention why he was hiding from her and not answering the calls for him. They totally disrupted the whole ship and got the crew up at 6:00 am to search with no reguard for what time they went to sleep. Dennis

If the above link is accurate then I guess the ship was right in putting them off and the mom is right to be upset. She states her case clearly and seems to have been very concerned about her son

However if they put him off then maybe he admitted to drug use

Him being questioned without her present is a moot point in international waters anyway

But fwiw for years I have been saying that underage kids belong with their parents and not with the new best friends aka total strangers they just met!!

Most responses have run the gamut of me being a "helicopter" parent to "it's the kids vaca too you know"

So few parents realize the ramifications of just letting the kids roam free and it amazes me that they will let 10 year olds have free reign

So next time your kid meets another kid on the ship do check out their parents and do keep close tabs on them and do Insist that they spend time with you. Oh and don't be afraid to say I don't like the looks of that kid or his family and I do t want you hanging around with them

Of course then you the parent will be called names.

Mom has a right to be upset but she's upset at the wrong party- she should be upset with her son. I think the fact that he hid and ignored all calls for hours was enough to justify putting him (and his family) ashore. As someone has mentioned the staff hours involved were substantial. Others have learned that the misbehavior of one in the party usually leads to all in the party being asked to depart the ship, especially if the one misbehaving is under age.

Mom has a right to be upset but she's upset at the wrong party- she should be upset with her son. I think the fact that he hid and ignored all calls for hours was enough to justify putting him (and his family) ashore. As someone has mentioned the staff hours involved were substantial. Others have learned that the misbehavior of one in the party usually leads to all in the party being asked to depart the ship, especially if the one misbehaving is under age.

Yes she should be mad at her son not ccl.

Of course she is now going to play up the "woe is me" angle of her circumstances one could easily assume because of course she can't watch the kid 24/7 and its his vaca too and needs to have fun fun fun too

What irks me is the stupidity if people and how easily the drink and drug with total strangers and why they feel the need to do it

My family has too much to lose and they know it and that is why all of us adults and kids know right from wrong and stay out of harms way. Doing drugs? Are you crazy? With strangers? On a ship in foreign waters and ports? We would clearly need to be out of our minds or just total morons to do that.

Does anyone recall the Jerry Hall incident? Or the Midnight Express story?

That is more than enough to keep anyone on the straight and narrow.

And as I posted previously. She should have not allowed new "best strangers" to be so easily made

I am certain she can take some most or much of the blame here as well

Edited by Crusin6

WOW, now for the rest of the story... Was he drinking ,did he take any drugs? Yes she should be upset but it should be aimed at her son for not answering. and Yes I was on that cruise and seen some under aged drinking.. Didn't smell any pot haven't a clue what it smells like. For the most part the young kids were pretty well behaved a few needed back handed for their foul mouths but very few that we heard and there was always one in the group realized and apologized for their language.

But end of story the boy was found unharmed and alive but as a mother I would of made sure he didn't sit down for a while.:rolleyes: