Family removed from Dream in Jamaica

ExFed drvr

Separating the son for questioning might have initially been to make sure he was safe in his environment. I am not making a judgement here. This is done in other situations (ie ER's for example) to allow the individual to speak freely.

As for sending them home, I don't see that Carnival would have any other choice. The rights and safety of the other passengers and their crew are very important.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Separating the son for questioning might have initially been to make sure he was safe in his environment. I am not making a judgement here. This is done in other situations (ie ER's for example) to allow the individual to speak freely.

As for sending them home, I don't see that Carnival would have any other choice. The rights and safety of the other passengers and their crew are very important.

I agree about the initial separation and it makes sense. But how was the other guests safety an issue? Was their a weapon involved? A fight ?

Inconvenienced yes, but unless there is something more to the story , and I believe there must be, from what little we know I don't see this as a safety issue, for other guests that is.

Was this one of your relatives and do you know the "real" story?...Denns[/

Why are you even questioning if this was my relative? Implying something , Dennis?

And I have no clue what the real story is , neither do you. That was kind of he point.

Guess I'm just surprised at all the absolutes implied here. Funny how people are drawing all kinds of conclusions when I see very little fact.

But it be real clear for you, Dennis-I don't know these people nor do I have any real information. Do you?

Yes at least I was on this cruise....Dennis

So he was found in the cabin of a new friend......where were this friends parents and why did they keep hiding him through the announcements and not turn him over to the staff??

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

That's exactly why the family that was hiding him got put off in Jamaica also..Dennis

That's exactly why the family that was hiding him got put off in Jamaica also..Dennis

I missed that part...but glad they did ! Wonder what kind of awful story this kid told the other family so they wouldn even turn him over to staff! Both families need some more common sence

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

My 20 yr old niece's roommate was on a cruise spring break with her boyfriend when he got belligerently drunk on deck, he was confined to their cabin where he went nuts and broke everything he could, got confined to the brig after that, and was put off in Bahamas. Then they look at nieces roommate, the girlfriend, found she was 20 and not allowed to stay in room without older person, they put her off too. She had 30 min to secure way home and present it to ship authority's.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree about the initial separation and it makes sense. But how was the other guests safety an issue? Was their a weapon involved? A fight ?

Inconvenienced yes, but unless there is something more to the story , and I believe there must be, from what little we know I don't see this as a safety issue, for other guests that is.

It doesn't need to be a safety issue, it can be for any issue deemed serious enough by the Captain (it's not a decision made lightly). In this case what was done was sufficiently disruptive of shipboard operations to warrant asking the parties to leave the ship. I don't need both sides of the story to know that. I am not interested in judging the mom, or the family dynamic at work in the situation or any of that because there aren't enough facts for that nor do I really care.

I am very, very impressed that Carnival took these actions.

PTSD? Really?

Sounds more like SBS and a family with a total lack of respect for rules or for other human beings.

Does anyone on this board really think that the captain would have done this, and exposed himself and his company to criticism, without a very good reason?

Again...bravo....I would love to sail on this Captain's ship with my children because I would know they wouldn't be exposed to people like this getting away with inappropriate behaviour.

Edited by mcgratru

I happened to be on a CCL ship Serenity deck early one morning (6 a.m.) when announcements began for "passenger x to call 7777 immediately." These announcements were repeated every 15 minutes throughout the ship. Security went searching through the deck a number of times while I sat there. I asked what was going on, and one guard said a 16 year old girl was reported missing by her 14 year old sister. The older sister never returned to the cabin that night, and the younger sister was too scared to go across the hall to tell her parents until 6 a.m. Security kept going through the areas I could see, and finally at 9 a.m. an announcement was made that the passenger had been found. The security guard who I had spoken with was nice enough to come back and tell me that she was found in a boy's cabin. Mixing alcohol with 16 year olds usually does not end well.

Doesn't really matter the details. The deal is done. The captain made his call and felt justified. If people don't want to abide by the fact that the captain has ultimate authority over the ship and passenger safety, then don't get on a cruise ship. If there was abuse, alcohol, drugs, or anything else involved, the last thing this family needs to do is be allowed to stay onboard to potentially create another crises with worse results. If you can't cruise and keep your issues in check and not disrupt everyone sailing with you, you don't need to be onboard. Everyone has problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

For anyone thinking that this punishment may have been harsh...think about it for a moment:

They woke myself, my wife and all the other 4000 passengers on the ship up at 0400. Then, the whole crew, whether they had worked all night and not slept or whatever, had to be woken up at 0600. Then they banged on everyone's doors looking for this little brat. It got to the point where the cruise director was practically pleading with him to present himself and everyone was very very concerned that something bad had happened to him. Now, with passengers and crew, there were more than 5000 people whose lives were affected by this in a negative way. Of course, its not that big of a deal, mind you, but it did make for a very long day in port for many. The whole ordeal lasted almost 4 hours for everyone.

All of that being said, he didn't deserve to remain on the ship at all, especially since he and his friends were simply ignoring the pleas of a lot of worried people.

My wife spoke with the Captain and First Officer in Cozumel and they verified that he was hiding from them the whole time and that he and his family were removed from the ship. They also said that he was NOT found passed out on drugs in an elevator.

This is what is referred to as "Poetic justice."

Good day!

Maybe--just maybe--the boy was hiding from a really bad situation with his parents. I have learned not to make assumptions--especially where children are involved. He may not have picked the best route--but it may have been his cry for help. The people that hid him may have thought they were helping to "save" him.

Maybe--just maybe--the boy was hiding from a really bad situation with his parents. I have learned not to make assumptions--especially where children are involved. He may not have picked the best route--but it may have been his cry for help. The people that hid him may have thought they were helping to "save" him.

Seriously - you're not doing anything any different from other posters. Just your speculation goes in the other direction.

I do believe another poster has copied what someone who was close to this kid said happened. At the end of the day, if he was running from a bad situation or just being a knucklehead as 14 year olds can be, bottom line was that the captain thought the best course of action was to remove him and his adult guardians from the vessel.

If he's in a bad situation with his parents, what is the captain of a cruise ship supposed to do about that? You're at sea. Is he supposed to call the Division of family services and request a social worker or site visit? Everyone has problems. You don't know who you are sailing with or their home life. As the head of the ship where people are vacationing, the captain is supposed to ensure the safety of that ship and its passengers within the realm of the vacation experience itself. Not look deep to check out issues that may or may not exist. He was right to put them off and if there is an abusive situation involved, I'm sure he could and would have advised officials on dry land. Nobody wants to see a child in an abusive situation but on a vacation out to sea is not where it gets dealt with.

It's o.k. to speculate either way. This thread is a conversation sharing thoughts and ideas. Not a family hearing.

Curious -- how did they determine that the boy was still aboard, and had not jumped over the rail? Did the ship turn around and circle back to it's position at the time the boy went missing? If they didn't, there must have been some assurance that he was still aboard.

The Dream has Infrared cameras down both sides of the ship. They detect if anyone goes overboard. Im sure those were reviewed during the routine search procedure, BEFORE all passenger were awakened.

It doesn't need to be a safety issue, it can be for any issue deemed serious enough by the Captain (it's not a decision made lightly). In this case what was done was sufficiently disruptive of shipboard operations to warrant asking the parties to leave the ship. I don't need both sides of the story to know that. I am not interested in judging the mom, or the family dynamic at work in the situation or any of that because there aren't enough facts for that nor do I really care.

Agreed, This kid and his "friends" that took him in were VERY disruptive to the crew and passengers by not replying to repeated requests for "Eric XXXXXX please come to Guest services or dial 7777".

As for others assuming possible abuse. IF that were the case should he not respond to calls from the highest authority available?

I too was on this cruise and heard them announcing in the hall way for him to call GS well before it was announced in our cabin repeatedly for 30 minutes or so. That is a total disregard for authority. THAT in and of itself in my opinion is grounds for disembarking a passenger.

I too was on the Behind the fun tour. That crew member made a statement that they "chose" to leave the ship in Jamaica. I don't know for sure but wonder if they were given the option to disembark or be confined for the remainder of the voyage?

Like many shipboard events. We will never know the entire truth. BUT I do KNOW he ignored repeated calls and inconvenienced approximately 5000 people for several hours. This almost cause us to miss the stop in Jamaica as well. Im glad he was found safe and do not feel bad for him and whoever got off the ship in Jamaica! Bad choices do come with consequences!