Adventure of the Seas Iceland & Norway Cruise May 30 2014 Sailing Review

Thanks for your great photos , videos and review !! We will be cruising Iceland ( and Norway) next September on Princess and I' m going to link your thread to our busy Roll Call :)

My thanks as well. Loved reading your thoughts and looking your pictures.....:):):)

Bob

Great review - love the photos. funny enough was watching a tv show (An Doh does Iceland) and he'd just been to the Blue Lagoon and the Geyser, so was nice to read about tem in your review also.

We had looked at doing Iceland/Norway on X next year but we ending up deciding to return to Alaska.

Iceland and Norway will stay on the bucket list for now!

We head to Akureyri, Iceland. The Adventure of the Seas have these

The sail-in was beautiful.

1zlg03p.jpg

Great views from the aft balcony.

21lohms.jpg

View of the port. Look at the cloud cover.

10wrvj5.jpg

Here are some videos of the sail-in.

I think Sailaways and Sail In's are one of the best parts of cruising. Theses are truly amazing pictures. I can't wait till September of next year.....:)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

That's great. Thanks. What is your itinerary?

September 5 : Southampton

September 7 : Bergen , Norway

September :8 Shetland Islands

September :10 Akureyri Iceland

September :11 Isafjordur

September 12: Reykjavik

September 17: Saint John's , Newfoundland

September :19 Halifax , Nova Scotia

September : 21 New York

A number of people are doing a B2B with the Norway cruise prior to the T/A.

August: 29 Southampton

August: 31 Stavanger

September :1 Olden , Norway

September : 2 Geiranger

September : 3 Bergan

We cruised Norway last Fall so we are just doing the T/A , our first Princess cruise . :D

Fantastic review and pictures. I have really enjoyed reading it.

We are cruising the fjords and Iceland on Brilliance next month. Cannot wait.

Thanks

Pete

Enjoy your cruise! It will be great. I think the weather should be better than what we had during our cruise (early Summer).

Great review - love the photos. funny enough was watching a tv show (An Doh does Iceland) and he'd just been to the Blue Lagoon and the Geyser, so was nice to read about tem in your review also.

We had looked at doing Iceland/Norway on X next year but we ending up deciding to return to Alaska.

Iceland and Norway will stay on the bucket list for now!

Thanks for leaving a comment. We've not sailed to Alaska yet. :)

September 5 : Southampton

September 7 : Bergen , Norway

September :8 Shetland Islands

September :10 Akureyri Iceland

September :11 Isafjordur

September 12: Reykjavik

September 17: Saint John's , Newfoundland

September :19 Halifax , Nova Scotia

September : 21 New York

A number of people are doing a B2B with the Norway cruise prior to the T/A.

August: 29 Southampton

August: 31 Stavanger

September :1 Olden , Norway

September : 2 Geiranger

September : 3 Bergan

We cruised Norway last Fall so we are just doing the T/A , our first Princess cruise . :D

A very interesting itinerary. Some of these places, I guess I would not visit on my own accord, but as part of a cruise itinerary - why not?

Hope you have a great cruise!

Goodbye Akureyri. It was a good visit. Thanks for reminding me how big & awesome the world is. Feel blessed to be able to view God's creation.

2qk788g.jpg

We felt exactly the same when cruising South America last December:

Beagle Canal

IMG_2171-001_zps747ffd6c.jpg

IMG_2153-001_zps65e6f59f.jpg

IMG_1844-001_zps6c975036.jpg

A video clip of the glacier and waterfall

IMG_9363-002_zps5fb6d8a9.jpg

Perito Moreno Glacier

boostpanorama_zps60c8534d.jpg

Glacier calving video:

Thanks for the great review and fab pictures. We are leaving for our Iceland/Norway cruise in 5 days. Can't wait !

By the way, I spent 6 weeks in Singapore for work few yars ago and loved it. Especially the great street food and wonderful friendly people ! I would love to go back one day and see how much things changed.

Thanks for the great review and fab pictures. We are leaving for our Iceland/Norway cruise in 5 days. Can't wait !

By the way, I spent 6 weeks in Singapore for work few yars ago and loved it. Especially the great street food and wonderful friendly people ! I would love to go back one day and see how much things changed.

Cool! Which ports in Iceland and Norway?

Glad you liked Singapore. Yes, we are ever-changing. As a small island with no natural resources and hardly any land, we have to continually reinvent ourselves in order to keep relevant and useful to the wider world. Come visit us, take a cruise out of Singapore!

This was the menu on Day 8 (the day we were in Trondheim).

1gsvo1.jpg

Pretty nice fried fish starter.

2w7hcnt.jpg

This should be the Beef Wellington.

ta4ya1.jpg

And the dessert menu.

wt9lzm.jpg

More pictures can be found here, including what I had in the Diamond Lounge before dinner.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/06/adventure-of-seas-day-8-main-dining.html

Day 9 - we would be in Alesund this morning. Still sailing at 14 knots.

2mfhngz.jpg

Even though it was cloudy, the sail in was still beautiful. The white building on the hill, that is the Aksla viewpoint.

vh87xv.jpg

Ship 'reversing' into the pier. Fun.

2rhmfpu.jpg

Check out the videos of the sail-in, in this blog post.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/06/adventure-of-seas-day-9-sailing-in-to.html

The ship docked on schedule at 8am. We got off the ship and made our way to the Avis/Budget Car rental office, which was about 800M walk to the left side along a major road once you got off. It was an easy walk. The car rental company only opened at 9am, and we got off at around 8:30am.

The plan today was rather exciting. We would be picking up a rental car and driving ourselves to Trollstigen or the Troll Road.

Car rental company.

2samih0.jpg

We had booked a hybrid car (Toyota Prius equivalent) which could seat 4 of us. My parents had to go on a ship's tour today, because we couldn't find a 6-seater. We got a nice upgrade- to a BMW 520d Touring! Cool stuff. This was the dashboard of the car.

2r7wrut.jpg

Driving this car wasn't difficult at all, though I had to spend a bit of time figuring out how to use the onboard NAV.

2nbha4l.jpg

In terms of the route, we would first head east towards the town of Sjoholt. We stopped at a Shell station for a bio-break. This was the car parked at the station.

zlt5ok.jpg

Therefore, we made our way towards Valldal. The distance from Alesund to Valldal was slightly over 90km and we took about 1.5 hours.

Check out my blog post for many more pictures and description.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/07/adventure-of-seas-day-9-alesund-part-1.html

The ship docked on schedule at 8am. We got off the ship and made our way to the Avis/Budget Car rental office, which was about 800M walk to the left side along a major road once you got off. It was an easy walk. The car rental company only opened at 9am, and we got off at around 8:30am.

The plan today was rather exciting. We would be picking up a rental car and driving ourselves to Trollstigen or the Troll Road.

We did this same drive last September from the Carnival Legend so we are looking forward to your review , pictures and videos. :cool:

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this review together. I loved how you got up early to capture the first moments as the ship would pull into a new port. I am especially enjoying the videos. I think you would make a wonderful tour guide. :)

Thanks for your note. Credit goes to jet-lag. I didn't plan to wake up early. But due to jet-lag, I would usually be asleep by 10pm the night before and by 5am or 6am, I would be wide awake!

In Valldal, our rental car parked outside a SPAR.

2ldqnb.jpg

Being creatures from tropics, we didn't think that the weather was warm. However, it must have been a rather warm day! Or maybe he was an exception. I think the locals were all dressed rather warmly.

hv2z5s.jpg

Beautiful views of mountains and fjords, though a bit cloudy.

15dw6dd.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

This has been really great to read, thank you for taking the time to post such detailed informations! I tried looking back but I couldn't find the name of the rental car agency you used in Reykjavik. We will be there on 3 Aug and I am planning to rent a car, did you see any rental agencies right at the port? Atak said they are 5-7 min away also or is that who you used? Thank you, as it has been mentioned before these all seem to be ports that don't have a lot of details out there!

This has been really great to read, thank you for taking the time to post such detailed informations! I tried looking back but I couldn't find the name of the rental car agency you used in Reykjavik. We will be there on 3 Aug and I am planning to rent a car, did you see any rental agencies right at the port? Atak said they are 5-7 min away also or is that who you used? Thank you, as it has been mentioned before these all seem to be ports that don't have a lot of details out there!

Thanks for leaving a note.

The car rental agency I used in Reykjavik was Enterprise Rent-a-car. We used the same in Akureyri.

I did see some car rentals at the port. Maybe you want to try http://www.europcar.is/

or thrifty.is

Also try this one - http://www.icelandcarrental.is/Booking

Edited by Iluvcruising2